Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROG Magazine

PROG Magazine

Has anyone in the states seen the issue with Rush on the cover. I know there is delay over here but they have already released the next issue with Steven Wilson on the cover. I don't even see Blues or AOR magazine on the shelves at the local Barnes and Noble.

I have yet to see it here. Still was the Tull cover last time I was at a bookstore, about a week ago.

Still Tull cover at Barnes and Noble. Up until approx six months ago distribution was good then something happened and some stores could no longer carry and very irregular at those who still do.

Is John still publishing Progression Magazine.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Is John still publishing Progression Magazine.
    Yes. He was at our gig in January and he said the next issue was just about ready to go to press.

Bill

I subscribe to Prog and have not seen an issue in the mailbox yet this year. Have not received the Rush one yet. Saw several copies of the King Crimson issue at a Books a Million store a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Yes. He was at our gig in January and he said the next issue was just about ready to go to press.

Bill
    I haven't received an issue in almost a year! The last one I got had William shatner in it. Have I missed any since?

I never got the one with Univers Zero on the front.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    I haven't received an issue in almost a year! The last one I got had William shatner in it. Have I missed any since?
    That's the last one I have as well. Looking at their website, that seems to be the last available issue.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    That's the last one I have as well. Looking at their website, that seems to be the last available issue.

Bill
    Thats Progression Magazine, not Prog Magazine which is what I was referring to.

Last I saw at the news stand in NYC was the Tull cover.

I have mostly been purchasing via the App on the iPad. It is much improved over it's initial launch a few years back. Does not crash, easy to navigate, you can save every issue, and it is available long before the hard copy. Does not come with the free CD which is the downside. I have discovered a number of favorite bands through those free CDs.

BTW, I wish Prog Mag would give a number of stars or bars to rate the albums in their review section, as they do in Classic Rock mag. I buy a lot of records if Classic rock gives a good rating, but the prog ratings are hard to judge, so I don't buy the records unless the reviewer goes out if his way to say a record is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Drive View Post
    Thats Progression Magazine, not Prog Magazine which is what I was referring to.
    I know. Shadow asked about Progression Magazine, then Progfan915 followed up on that, and he also was clearly referring to Progression. So I was just responding to those posts.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by gimmetrons View Post
    I subscribe to Prog and have not seen an issue in the mailbox yet this year. Have not received the Rush one yet. Saw several copies of the King Crimson issue at a Books a Million store a couple weeks ago.
    Which is why I subscribe to the digital edition. No delays and, living in Canada, waaaaaay cheaper.....
    Plus the relaunched digital version is excellent, with features you can't ger in print..

We carry Prog Magazine where I work in Michigan and the latest issue we have on the racks is the Tull issue. Seems the U.S. consensus is the Tull issue is our most current.

http://progressionmagazine.com/

Almost two years since the last Progression Magazine release.
    Used to be a quarterly magazine. Now it is not even an annual magazine.

Internet killed the magazine star.

New edition has a Steve Wilson cover!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post

Internet killed the magazine star.
    I think the music killed it.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Sure it wasn't the crab dip?

LOL...

Every few months we have a thread complaining about the issues being real late getting to the local stores...

Just go back and read one of your many copies that already have Wilson on the cover and you'll have all that you need to know again...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post

Two years??? TWO???!!

It amazes me that people support this type of business model. I read of some re-upping their subscription and I am shocked that they do such a thing knowing they may never see the magazine in their lifetime.

That's partly why I gave up with Progression many years ago. Not only not knowing when it would be published, but also the problem in getting replies to queries about subscriptions or orders. When the mag gets published infrequently it's easy to lose track of when subs are due to end.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Last I saw at the news stand in NYC was the Tull cover.

BTW, I wish Prog Mag would give a number of stars or bars to rate the albums in their review section, as they do in Classic Rock mag. I buy a lot of records if Classic rock gives a good rating, but the prog ratings are hard to judge, so I don't buy the records unless the reviewer goes out if his way to say a record is outstanding.
    It's a deliberate editorial decision that they don't - there has been a couple of letters saying the same thing. The mag's reply is that the review is an opinion and the Prog world is quite divided on opinion at times - I hadn't noticed that, had you?! - and they don't want one person's opinion to prejudice everyone else's view on a recording.

This is partly true. The other reason is that most music magazines give a precis of the review and a mark. We felt, given the nature of progressively inclined music, that fans would want to read a bit more (hence our reviews are longer than Classic Rock's) and that the precis line and mark might make some readers gloss over the content of the review. And that the music is always deserving of more introspection. We've since added the precis line because of many reader comments, but steadfastly refuse to add a mark (much to the chagrin of many advertisers). We understand that we don't always get everything right for the prog community, but we do feel we're right in this instance.

I agree. A star system would inspire a lot of glossing.

Any word on when the Rush issue will hit the stands here in the States, PROG?

As of April we finally move out from the last vestiges of Future Publishing's ownership (it was all part of the deal when TeamRock acquired all the magazines in April 2103 that they would utilise various extraneous services of Future for two years). Thus we've recently moved subscriptions and distribution to new companies (largely due to Future's own rapid decline of late) and such moves do not come without teething problems. Everyone concerned is working double-time to smooth over any issues as they arise. As for US distribution, I can only say the Rush issue should be available very shortly. If any concerned US reader would like a list of US stockists please request one via prog@teamrock.com and we shall happily provide a list. We'd publish it here but it's so lengthy it doesn't seem entirely practical.