Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last album their best

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This might be picky, but the remaining members of The Doors did two additional studio albums after L.A. Woman. "Other Voices" and "Full Circle".
    That's why I put the qualifier in there. I was responding to somone who offered Dr. Sardonicus for consideration as the final Spirit album.

It's way easier doing "First album their best."
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Sleep’s Dopesmoker...arguably, although Holy Mountain is a real corker too and less of a “novelty record” and thus more palatable to the casual listener.
    They've since released a single ("Clarity") but it's been 3 years since Al promised it was part of a new album...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Trick is too commercial and when you want to see a tour you want to see The Lamb.
    I've never considered Trick as too commercial myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Explorers' Club - Together. (I believe they aren't doing any more, but that's what I thought last time)

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Solid Silver (I know some will disagree with me, but I thought this was for the most part a really good album-'They Don't Know', 'Witches Moon', 'Gypsy Lights', 'Cowboy On The Run', all really solid imo.

Roxy Music - Avalon

The Sundays - Static & Silence (easily)

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    That's why I put the qualifier in there. I was responding to someone who offered Dr. Sardonicus for consideration as the final Spirit album.
    We could also put QMS' Coming Thru (with the horses on the artwork)in that category... Maybe not their best (well I'm really close to thinking so), but they had that awful reunion album in 75 afterwards.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    The Explorers' Club - Together. (I believe they aren't doing any more, but that's what I thought last time)

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Solid Silver (I know some will disagree with me, but I thought this was for the most part a really good album-'They Don't Know', 'Witches Moon', 'Gypsy Lights', 'Cowboy On The Run', all really solid imo.

Roxy Music - Avalon

The Sundays - Static & Silence (easily)
    I'm okay with that!!!
    The Prog Corner

Roxy Music - Avalon
    They really hit upon a winner with this one. Too bad that Ferry probably believed all the reviews that Roxy at this point was him. His subsequent solos demonstrate that was clearly not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    We could also put QMS' Coming Thru (with the horses on the artwork)in that category... Maybe not their best (well I'm really close to thinking so), but they had that awful reunion album in 75 afterwards.
    Coming Thru was their finest to that point in my opinion too. I happen to really like the awful reunion album too ('They Don't Know' is my all time favorite track of theirs)

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    They really hit upon a winner with this one. Too bad that Ferry probably believed all the reviews that Roxy at this point was him. His subsequent solos demonstrate that was clearly not the case.
    Yep.

Boys & Girls is not such a huge drop in quality from Avalon IMO.

I like B&G. It's a classy dance-lounge-pop record. But the majestic, dreamy atmosphere of Avalon just ain't there... IMO, too, of course!

Coming Thru was their finest to that point in my opinion too. I happen to really like the awful reunion album too ('They Don't Know' is my all time favorite track of theirs)
    OK, I'll agree that QMS' reunion album is not that bad (I've heard tons worse), but it's clearly their weaker album... second weaker is the Quicksilver album (eagle artwork cover), which is why the very-brassy Comin' Thru is so surprisingly good: it was sandwiched between two very overage albums.

And QMS had one of the nicest artwork series too (again , if you'll except the reunion album)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I like B&G. It's a classy dance-lounge-pop record. But the majestic, dreamy atmosphere of Avalon just ain't there... IMO, too, of course!
    Maybe I’m more charitable towards B&G because it was my gateway into the Roxy/Ferry catalog. When that album came out, I was a teen and it sounded like nothing else I knew (which wasn’t much - only had like thirty records). Avalon is superior, no question, yet to me they constitute a double album of sorts. Valentine is the only mediocre track on B&G, I’d say.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Zamla Mammaz Manna - FamilyCracks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Mr Bungle.

(Maybe.)
    I can get behind those 2.

Henry Cow - Western Culture
    Rational Diet - On Phenomena & Existences
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Kenny G - Brazilian Nights (2015). A masterpiece that reveals what total bums Coltrane, Dolphy and even Gismonti were. Nobody played with more soul, originality and fearlessness than Kenny. He set a new standard for the sax/simulated fellatio that will never be exceeded.

The "Greatest Hits" or "Best of" is typically released after the band stops recording and typically contains their best stuff....

Right?

So just about EVERY Bands' last release is their BEST...!

Obviously not their best...but That's Why God Made The Radio was certainly the best Beach Boys album in 40 years, which is good enough for me. The last three songs in particular are stunning and very moving. Shame about the autotune!

I like Abbey Road the most of all The Beatles' albums, but technically it's not the last to be released (and the last song to be recorded was actually 'I Me Mine', by which time Lennon had already left).

I think The Police stayed fairly consistent. No album stands out to me as weaker or stronger, they all have pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Obviously not their best...but That's Why God Made The Radio was certainly the best Beach Boys album in 40 years, which is good enough for me. The last three songs in particular are stunning and very moving. Shame about the autotune!
    No kidding, that album really surprised me. The title track is awesome, and, as you said, the last 3. Couple other really good ones in there too, track #6 (I don't recall the name, could be 'Shelter')

^There's a couple of questionable songs- 'The Private Life Of Bill And Sue' and 'Beaches In Mind'. Otherwise it's way, way better than I expected. It all went a bit sour after the tour sadly.

Close To The Edge was the best Yes album - then their drummer left and the compositions began to weaken slightly....

... but the band he joined? Wow!

Home - The Alchemist.

Land Of Cockayne. Without question.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Kingston Wall III
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Darryl Way's Wolf - Night Music Depending what style you like
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!