Thread: RIP Lesley Gore

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

RIP Lesley Gore

Lesley Gore.

Known for the dark pop hits "It's My Party" and "Judy's Turn To Cry." She died today at age 68 of lung cancer. Rest in peace.

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

RIP. Thought she died years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    RIP. Thought she died years ago.
    Big star in her day... Sold tons of records. Rip.
    Still alive and well...

I just discovered Love Me by Name, her mid-70s reunion with her original producer, Quincy Jones. I am surprised by how high quality it is; it shows immense growth as both a composer and a vocalist (DAMN, could she sing!) since her hitmaking days in the 60s. Unfortunately, it wasn’t what people wanted and it totally tanked. The title song—with a great, cosmic synths/piano arrangement from Herbie Hancock, of all people—is a total dream. R.I.P., indeed.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    Yeah I knew she was still around, I think she performed here not long ago as part of one of those nostalgia tours. Always liked "California Nights."

Part of my youth. Another sad loss.

Grew up with her songs on the AM radio. Now I can't get "Sunshine Lollipops" out of my head. Goodby, Leslie.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Suspended
    I just read her Wikipedia entry. Strange, I never knew that she was a lesbian. You'd think an item like that would have been well publicised in the LGBT community, especially in light of the amount of speculation that was rife about the sexuality of Dusty Springfield - a singer who, incidentally, had a lot in common with Lesley Gore. Looking at the list of Lesley's singles, I see a number of songs that were also recorded by Dusty.

My mom loves her. Growing up I was able to hear alot of this type music because of her. There was a station, WABC with a guy named Bruce Morrow, who played these tunes all the time. She says it's all she listened to and Miss Gore was pretty big. RIP.
    The older I get, the better I was.

love her and her songs rip lesley

"You Don't Own Me" was my favorite; great production with the echoey marimba sound.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    "Its my party and I'll die if I want to"

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    My mom loves her. Growing up I was able to hear alot of this type music because of her. There was a station, WABC with a guy named Bruce Morrow, who played these tunes all the time. She says it's all she listened to and Miss Gore was pretty big. RIP.
    Cousin Brucie! I read his bio. It was very good.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Cousin Brucie! I read his bio. It was very good.
    My mom says he was the voice at night up and down the east coast. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he help with getting the Beatles to the states? This guy must have had all kinds of pull in the music industry.

carol pope was bangin her for a while there.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    My mom says he was the voice at night up and down the east coast. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he help with getting the Beatles to the states? This guy must have had all kinds of pull in the music industry.
    He was pretty influential. But, his book seemed to take some liberties with his role, especially WRT The Beatles. I think he actually claimed that he introduced them at Shea, when it was actually Ed Sullivan. Although, to his defense, I am pretty sure he introduced the show and other bands. So, he could have gotten mixed up.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

She says that was a great time for music. Everyone was singing or humming something.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    He was pretty influential. But, his book seemed to take some liberties with his role, especially WRT The Beatles. I think he actually claimed that he introduced them at Shea, when it was actually Ed Sullivan. Although, to his defense, I am pretty sure he introduced the show and other bands. So, he could have gotten mixed up.
    You mean, he had Brian Williams disease before Brian Williams had it?