Thread: FEATURED CD - Iona : The Circling Hour

FEATURED CD - Iona : The Circling Hour

Per Murat Batmaz on SoT :
    Although I am familiar with Iona, I haven't heard any of their previous albums in their entirety. I do recall that they differ slightly from their The Circling Hour in that more emphasis was given on long, ambiant passages on their earlier material, such as Open Sky and the much revered Journey into the Morn while their new release is unafraid to delve into uncharted territory, lending itself to both energetic pieces and the more trademark sounds of their former work.

The Circling Hour sees the band return with a somewhat more joyous energy, churning out rhythmically dynamic cuts focusing on the incredibly beautiful vocals of Joanne Hogg. Her silky smooth tone, plaintive delivery, and unmatched melodic power make for a unique combination, and it is only understandable why songs like "Strength" and "No Fear in Love" must have been written specifically with her voice in mind. Hogg shines like the brightest star in the sky on "Strength", a song featuring gently strummed acoustic guitars, a nice shaker sound in the intro, and fat rhythms at the end. Likewise, "No Fear in Love" sees Hogg taking centre stage once again while little sections of acoustic guitars, distant percussion work, a nice mandolin melody, and elegiac blues guitar wrap her sweet tone up.

That is not to say, however, this album lacks the band's core stylistic elements. On the contrary, the first two songs "Empyrean Dawn" and "Children of Time" represent everything Iona stands for. Wonderful choir voices, a myriad of instruments (check the darabukkas on the second piece), low and high whistles, pipes, and their unmistakable Celtic element permeat these tracks, venturing into bass-heavy soundscapes where Hogg delivers the lyrics adapted from T.W. Rolleston's 1913 poem "The Song of Maelduin", from which the title of the album was also inspired.

Guitarists Dave Bainbridge and Troy Donockley excel in their performances, throwing in everything from Floydian guitar runs to folky motifs and trance-inducing e-bow addition. On "Wind Off the Lake", at over eleven minutes (and mostly instrumental), they are at their most psychedelic phase, borrowing tons of Celtic influences, blazing Hammond organs, and ethereal wind chimes in order to climax the song with a dramatic finale. "Sky Maps" only serves to thicken this experiment: it is hauntingly beautiful with lucid layers of keyboards, mood-intensive piano arrangements, and the mandatory inclusion of flute. The lead guitar work here is unbelievable.

The "Wind, Water & Fire" trilogy is divided into three tracks, titled "Wind", "Water" and "Fire", and finds the band revisiting their older days creating impossible threads of atmosphere, the first one being entirely instrumental, the second one featuring wordless vocal melodies from Hogg (God - that voice is amazing!), and the last one simply being the heavy finish as guitars, bass, and drums are all woven into the mix. Speaking of which, drummer Frank Van Essen had me drool the first ten or fifteen times I spinned this album. I can't believe I missed out on this guy all these years. Although Iona's music is mostly soothing and relaxing, and therefore not all that suitable for a drummer to showcase his skills, this man proves you can still insert all these subtle cymbal and snare rhythms without driving the song away from its melodic focus.

Though far from being similar, I still recommend Iona to fans of Mostly Autumn, White Willow, Dead Can Dance, Blackmore's Night, and even NIL. All of these bands are equally astonishing and deserve to be heard.
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=4835

Regards,

Duncan

I am hot and cold on Iona, but I think this is probably their best overall studio album.

I love all their albums up to and including Open Sky, but I find this one a bit disappointing. It all sounds a bit samey and the Christian lyrics get on my nerves a bit. They seemed more subtle on earlier albums.

It was a let-down for me after "Open Sky" but it's still pretty good. I'd take their earlier ones over it though.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I really enjoy Dave Bainbridge's solo albums - particularly Veil of Gossamer, which IMO is a five-star classic, but I've never heard an Iona album that has been as good.

One reason for that is that I find Johanna Hogg's voice a bit annoying. Just sounds to 'wholesome'.

I also think that their early albums were way too long and needed serious editing.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Every one of their albums has some great pieces and some not so great pieces. This one is no different. Wind Off the Lake is tremendous and one of my favorites of theirs but Factory of Magnificent Souls is cringe-worthy. Overall, this one just doesn't stack up against their earlier works.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I really enjoy Dave Bainbridge's solo albums - particularly Veil of Gossamer, which IMO is a five-star classic...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I really enjoy Dave Bainbridge's solo albums - particularly Veil of Gossamer, which IMO is a five-star classic, but I've never heard an Iona album that has been as good.
    It appears that once again PE is going to cost me money...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm a big fan of Iona. Their mix of Prog and Folk is much more convincing than most of the bands they are compared to.

I also alsways liked the sligthley different basic Approach each album had

Iona (the Folk Album)
    The Book of Kells (The Prog Album)
    Beyond These Shores (The Pop Album)
    Journey Into the Morn (the Synphonic Album)
    Open Sky (the Ambient Album)

"The Circling Hour" was their more down to earth Rock album. The first you will notice that this Album didn't have
    that bright and cristall clear production that their other Albums had, thus underling the basic Rock mood of the Album.

After a Hiatus of 6 years I was glad that they came back with a Studio Album. I like it more than "Open Sky" which I find
    to be somewhat boring sometimes.

It is also a bit more consistent than the follow up "Another Realm" which should better not have been a double Album.

Dave Bainbridge's "Veil of Gossamer" is a good addition to a Iona collection, but I would prefer any Iona Album over it.
    I think "Celestial Fire" is more interessting because it's more 70s Retro Prog and not a "lite" Version of Iona as
    "Veil of Gossamer" is.

Their absolut killer Albums are "The Book of Kells" and "Beyond These Shores" which I consider to be highlights of the genre.

I've never listened to them. Where should I start? The Book Of Kells or Journey Into The Morn?
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I've never listened to them. Where should I start? The Book Of Kells or Journey Into The Morn?
    The Book of Kells is their most Prog album and absolutley awesome. I would rate Journey into the Morn as their third best
    (Beyond These Shores would be Nr. 2).

I'd go with Journey Into the Morn. My favourite Iona track is on this album:

Journey into Mourn has my favorite Iona track, Lindisfarne. I don't think you can go wrong though with any of Journey, Book of Kells or Beyond These Shores, just don't listen to the lyrics very closely.

Iona, The Book of Kells and Beyond These Shores are their best i.mo.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Personally, I'd make a strong argument for picking up their live album, "Heaven's Bright Sun". That was my introduction to them, and their material seems to gain a ton of life live.

I haven't picked up one of their albums since Open Sky, probably because it took them 6 years to put out this one and I just kinda lost track of them. I should circle back around to them again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    Personally, I'd make a strong argument for picking up their live album, "Heaven's Bright Sun".
    There was also a companion DVD released around the same time that's worth tracking down. The band interplay is killer.

Regarding The Circling Hour, IMO it's not quite as good as what came before it, but I like it more than Another Realm, which features a return to the hard Christian slant of their earliest albums. There is a bit of sameness in Hogg's folky stuff, and even in some of Dave Bainbridge's symphonic music. I dunno -- I really like Iona but maybe it's best if they go their separate ways at this point. I sort of get the sense that since she's become a mother Joanna's heart isn't really in it anymore. And Bainbridge still seems to have plenty to offer that could really be something if he wasn't shackled to the pop-folk element within Iona.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    The double-live "Heaven's Bright Sun" was my introduction to the band many years ago, and I do enjoy getting to know a band via their live material. I have the excellent Live in London DVD, which I had the band sign when I happily hd the opportunity to see them play at a local church (well, a church gymnasium, to be more precise) in South Hadley a couple of years ago. The only studio disc I have is "Open Sky", a little too mellow/ambient for my tastes.