Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meshuggah

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    And here you have it!:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....h-live-review/

It was an amazing show, and I'm really glad I took a chance on it. If you're a fan at all, then I'd be surprised if this tour disappoints.
    Did the band wear kilts for the occasion?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Did the band wear kilts for the occasion?
    Hah! That would have been something wouldn't it? Trouble is, the band were little more than silhouettes so it would have been hard to notice.

This tune is just killer.

Unbelievable! Tomas Haake.

Unbelievable!
    That man is the Elvin Jones of metal.

This guy's a fucking beast....thats a whole lotta noise coming off that tiny set! Proof you don't need 1000 drums to be amazing. Jesus....he's unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    This guy's a fucking beast....thats a whole lotta noise coming off that tiny set! Proof you don't need 1000 drums to be amazing. Jesus....he's unreal.
    I'll say this with no apologies - that might be one of the single greatest displays of musicianship I've ever seen, period. I really don't think there are many people that could accomplish what he plays there, although maybe I'm wrong, I dunno? Stunning doesn't begin to cover it.

I'll say this with no apologies - that might be one of the single greatest displays of musicianship I've ever seen, period. I really don't think there are many people that could accomplish what he plays there, although maybe I'm wrong, I dunno? Stunning doesn't begin to cover it.
    And he plays like that the entire show too, there ain't no ballads when they're on stage! Staggering...

Fredrik Thordendal isn't playing on this latest tour with Megadeth. His replacement is my favorite guitarist in the world: PER NILSSON!!!

I guess it's convenient that Kaipa does not play live and Scar Symmetry only has two dates scheduled all year...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Fredrik Thordendal isn't playing on this latest tour with Megadeth.
    I'd be astounded if he ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I'd be astounded if he ever did.
    Why, did he leave the band?

He's just way too smart and virtuosic for their music. Best he stays with Meshuggah.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Why, did he leave the band?
    I read that as Meshuggah, not Megadeth. You too?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Oh, I just reread that original post, yeah i thought Meshuggah, it is Megadeath, mistake??

Meshuggah was opening for Megadeth on some US dates this summer...

With Tesseract as well.

Sorry I missed out on that!!!
    The Prog Corner

^^^That sounds like a sure fire way to get upstaged doesn't it?!?!

Meshuggah just clicked.

The first time I heard them a decade ago, I zoned out. I can't remember which album it was because I so fatigued and exhausted by the battering vocals and relentless riffing by about track 3 that I opted out. I shelved them for years thinking they just weren't my cup of tea, but after I stumbled across Bleed on youtube a week ago, I suddenly heard something in their music that escaped me. I worked my way through ObZen, Koloss and the Violent Sleep of Reason and now I'm hooked. Christ, I wouldn't want to even attempt learning one of these songs.

Don't think I'll ever see them live, though. I think my skeleton would dissolve in my skin before the night was over.

^ That's great! One does have to "buy" into their particular sound, but if you do, it's pure gold imo. Amazing amazing musicianship.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntrip View Post
    Christ, I wouldn't want to even attempt learning one of these songs.
    Some years back I transcribed the time signatures to a tune off of Catch Thirty Three (Just for fun; I'm pretty sure I posted it here also) and it really opened my eyes to how damn complex the math/counting/rhythms are in this music - pretty extraordinary stuff.

I was instinctively searching for more familiar harmonies and melodies when I first listened, so the rhythmic complexity just didn't click at the time. With sustained attention and patience, it quickly became clearer to me what these guys were doing: it was all rhythm all the time, with some of the most bizarre, bewildering and unique patterns I had ever heard. These strange, sharp patterns produced a sort of fear trance, made of equal parts discomfort (in the face of its complexity) and awe (in the face of its precision and execution.) I just didn't think this kind of tension could be generated without complex harmony. And I even kinda dig the vocals now. So glad I gave them a second chance. They're all I can listen to at the moment.

edit: And I can totally understand why they have such a steep entry curve. Meshuggah has a very particular musical syntax that's overwhelming for some people to parse, and is so severe and committed to its rhythmic premise that it really throws the mind for a loop. It was physically uncomfortable for me at first. For anyone still on the fence about the band, try to push through the fatigue. Be overwhelmed, but don't fight it. Just surrender to it and the beauty of this band will make itself known in time.
    Last edited by Guntrip; 07-28-2019 at 07:48 PM.