Thread: Advice needed-Not prog-should I continue on this course?

Advice needed-Not prog-should I continue on this course?

I've been working on solo projects that are very much in the avant garde realm. I would like to ask any of you if you find anything worthwhile here... I only ask because I am having doubts about continuing with more songs. Should I carry on in this direction? Basically, Does anyone like it? Thanks.
    Still alive and well...

Cold eared honesty appreciated.
    Still alive and well...

Well really... if you like it you should do it. Period. IMO...

As for me, I like the basic groove with the drum machine, bass, piano and vocal. Very Brian Ferry. I personally don't dig the sax sample at all. I'd say something far more organic (real sax) or way way more electronic and out there. But ymmv!!

Thanks Trurl... Yeah the sax is yamaha keys and pretty stiff... The drums are a loop. My vocals need some work. I will redo this one if I make a decision on this being the basic direction and style of 7 or 8 songs. Have an album full of lyrics for the project if I do.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 02-15-2015 at 11:52 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Vocals sound good I think! They have a thing ;-) I figured the drums might be a loop but the vibe is 80s drum machine, which for me is not a bad thing. It fits the vibe. Like I said, sort of Brian Ferry/Cocteau Twins...

Suspended
    The sax seems far too loud and intrusive. Apart from that though the music is kind of interesting... not sure I can say I like it, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it.

As someone else said, follow the direction you enjoy. By all means accept criticism from others about production quality, deficiencies in the song structure and so on, but don't let anyone else tell you what style of music you should be making.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The sax seems far too loud and intrusive. Apart from that though the music is kind of interesting... not sure I can say I like it, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it.

As someone else said, follow the direction you enjoy. By all means accept criticism from others about production quality, deficiencies in the song structure and so on, but don't let anyone else tell you what style of music you should be making.
    Thanks bob! I'm fine with criticism. Trying to grab onto a style I like enough to proceed with.
    Still alive and well...

I like it. It could even get more avant/bizarre and I don't think it would hurt it any. I enjoy the sax, lots of reverb however. It all just depends on what you want. Good vid with it too.

I've been writing and recording my own stuff since 1980 and I can honestly tell you from my experience that it really doesn't matter if anyone else likes it...if you're happy with expressing yourself musically on this course, keep going
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I liked it! It has a... mood, ya know?!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well really... if you like it you should do it. Period.
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    My vocals need some work.
    They were cool. Kind of reminds me of the singer in Simple Minds.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I've been writing and recording my own stuff since 1980 and I can honestly tell you from my experience that it really doesn't matter if anyone else likes it...if you're happy with expressing yourself musically on this course, keep going
    Though I agree that you should follow your muse and write what you want to write, it can be disheartening if nobody else likes your music. We don't live in a vacuum; we all want some semblance of acceptance. On the other hand, if you take criticism too much to heart and let it dictate what you create, you'll end up lost and eventually unable to create anything. There's a happy medium somewhere. I think we all create a piece of art because it's something we want to see exist in the universe, so having it be pleasing to ourselves is top priority. But having other people like it is sometimes the necessary motivation for us to continue on.

I like it. Here in the Boston area, we have a well-respected musician/vocalist Willie Alexander. Your number sounds a bit like what Willie's been doing the last few years, and I like his stuff. I would prefer, however, the sound of a real sax.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.