Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geddy Lee on That Metal Show and Rock Icons Feb 21st

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar

Geddy Lee on That Metal Show and Rock Icons Feb 21st

A heads up for you Rush fans, Geddy Lee will be on the season premiere of That Metal Show and on the debut of Rock Icons on VH1 Classic Saturday Feb 21st @9pm EST

Set your DVR's!
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Yup, looking forward to the new season. Yea, Trunk and company can be annoying, but I still dig the show.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yup, looking forward to the new season. Yea, Trunk and company can be annoying, but I still dig the show.
    I was interested in some guests last season but ended up deleting the season from my DVR. Trunk is just too overpowering. I will try to see if I can get through this season. I enjoy some of the guests when I can tolerate Trunk.

I actually dig Eddie and the guys. I had the pleasure of seeing them live a few months back and will be seeing them again next month. I listen to Eddie's pod cast regularly and am quite the fan of Mr Florentine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    I actually dig Eddie and the guys. I had the pleasure of seeing them live a few months back and will be seeing them again next month. I listen to Eddie's pod cast regularly and am quite the fan of Mr Florentine.
    If their stand up show came to my hometown I would probably check it out.

Thanks for the heads up. Rush aren't metal and probably never really were(at least in the stricted sense)but I know Eddie Trunk is a big Rush fan so I'm not too surprised Geddy will be on the show.

On a strange side note I once saw a guy I knew from college in the studio audience for TMS. His name was Mark Sly(I believe no relation to Steve on here). His dad was my Jr. High history teacher and I remember Mark talking to me about YES and close to the edge. Apparently he's a musician out in California now. Weird seeing him on tv(that's happened to me a few times).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

TMS is billed as all things hard rock and heavy metal. Rush has long been considered metal prog. Looking forward to both shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    Jim's podcast is great. The stories of his halcyon days in gardening and construction = hilarious stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Jim's podcast is great. The stories of his halcyon days in gardening and construction = hilarious stuff!
    Actually just listened to Jim's Dime tribute podcast yesterday.

I can't take Trunk for more than 5 mins.

STUMP! THE! TRUNK!

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    TMS is billed as all things hard rock and heavy metal. Rush has long been considered metal prog. Looking forward to both shows.
    Ok, so what's the difference between metal prog and prog metal? Is the emphasis more on the prog? To be honest I have rarely heard the term "metal prog" so was just wondering.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    STUMP! THE! TRUNK!
    If that game involved cutting the lower parts of his legs off that would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Ok, so what's the difference between metal prog and prog metal?
    Metal Prog starts with "m"

**BUMP**
    On now, Petrucci musical guest. Shredding at all times. Looking as if he's auditioning for a part on "Duck Dynasty".
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    \m/
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Idiot asking Geddy about the "Clockwork Oranges" album.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    No way!!!!!

I did enjoy the show though. It was a lot of fun. The program afterwards was cool too even though Geddy mispronounced "moog."
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-24-2015 at 07:37 PM.

I liked Geddy's Ace Frehley impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    **BUMP**
    On now, Petrucci musical guest. Shredding at all times. Looking as if he's auditioning for a part on "Duck Dynasty".
    I really did just spit some of my Sunday-morning coffee out.

I saw the show last night.....one take-away for me was (my own interpretation of course) of Geddy's body language when directly asked about this coming tour being the last....I think that this WILL be...his body language had a very "resigned to the fact-ness" about Neil's desire to stop touring and how that might be the real "show-stopper" No pun intended.

One interesting aspect of the show was Geddy putting the first 10 Rush albums in his own personal order of most-liking to least-liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Idiot asking Geddy about the "Clockwork Oranges" album.
    I actually thought that was funny AND they left it in. They could have cut it out when the show was edited, proves they have a sense of humor about themselves.

I read that a lot of people dont like Eddie Trunk. Not sure why, he can be whiney, but honestly, the guy loves music, and seems like a regular guy who got lucky and probably worked in the trenches for many years to get to this point. I respect that, he is doing something he loves, and that is something most of us can't say. More power to him.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I read that a lot of people dont like Eddie Trunk. Not sure why, he can be whiney, but honestly, the guy loves music, and seems like a regular guy who got lucky and probably worked in the trenches for many years to get to this point. I respect that, he is doing something he loves, and that is something most of us can't say. More power to him.
    I don't get it, either. He's been in the music biz since the '80s and makes no bones about his love for it and carrying the torch. He's alright in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I actually thought that was funny AND they left it in. They could have cut it out when the show was edited, proves they have a sense of humor about themselves.

Yeah sometimes he seems to act like a baby and can't roll with the punches. I remember one time a woman in the audience threw a little barb at him(something to the effect that some musician was more attractive than him)and he responded by saying "you're no Megan Fox yourself honey." Little things like that. They can make the show amusing but sometimes it seems like he has no sense of humor and unlike his two co-hosts take shit way too seriously sometimes. Geddy Lee on the other hand definitely seems like a guy who can laugh at himself and not get offended(unlike Eddie).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-22-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Here's the whole thing. Watch it before YT takes it down-