Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Greatest Prog Songs by non Prog Bands

Not a band per se but....
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

I'd happily recommend checking out Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel. Whilst SH would be more generally regarded as a singer/songwriter, his albums often include proggy influences. Probably the best examples are on the CR debut, "The Human Menagerie" (1973), particularly Sebastian and the 10-minute Death Trip. Both orchestrated by Andrew Powell. The use of keyboards and violin rather than electric guitars provides a distinctive sound which proved particularly refreshing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    Human Sadness, JC and the Voidz
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    I'd happily recommend checking out Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel. Whilst SH would be more generally regarded as a singer/songwriter, his albums often include proggy influences. Probably the best examples are on the CR debut, "The Human Menagerie" (1973), particularly Sebastian and the 10-minute Death Trip. Both orchestrated by Andrew Powell. The use of keyboards and violin rather than electric guitars provides a distinctive sound which proved particularly refreshing at the time.
    Also recommended: Love’s a Prima Donna. When I first heard about it I thought, “A concept album about love? How original! Pass!” Then someone said he was inspired by Todd Rundgren’s A Wizard/A True Star, which immediately got my attention. And you know what? It’s actually pretty good! Not 100% consistent, but at least 66% of this is first-rate stuff. More “offbeat, experimental pop-rock” than prog, but worth a listen for sure.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

How did this Suzi Quatro epic escape my attention until now?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...