Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: FEATURED CD - Il Balleto Di Bronzo: Ys

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't mean to make you explain - I'm a big Scrotum fan too, for the same reasons you mention.
    That's cool, and I realized that my "Scrotum rules!" comment looked like something a kid would say so it's a little embarrassing but I just really enjoy reading his opinions.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Has anyone heard "The Road to Ys"? If so, would you recommend it?
    I played both this and the Mellow EP

RtYS has the same versions of the two english language songs from the original Mellow release, but they are "remastered" and WAY louder

These are demo quality to begin with, so probably not fatal

It also has an unreleased live cut from the 70's, and a few more recent live cuts

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    That's cool, and I realized that my "Scrotum rules!" comment looked like something a kid would say
    Scrotum contents are often important for folks. Don't worry.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Scrotum is often a hairy subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    I played both this and the Mellow EP

RtYS has the same versions of the two english language songs from the original Mellow release, but they are "remastered" and WAY louder

These are demo quality to begin with, so probably not fatal

It also has an unreleased live cut from the 70's, and a few more recent live cuts

BG
    Hey Brian, thanks for re-visiting TRtY. Doesn’t sound like it’s exactly essential, then...

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Hey Brian, thanks for re-visiting TRtY. Doesn’t sound like it’s exactly essential, then...
    You are welcome

I would want the English versions one way or the another, but I agree not essential!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The notion that much/most of the 70s RPI was about post-PFM'ish "Genesissies" is largely a myth. I collected Italian progressive during the early years of reissues (1989-95), and soon came to know this myth by numbers. I'd say the MAIN bulk of RPI was anything but "Genesissy", and that the latter notion stems mostly from the lack of a frame of reference on the part of the receiving end among certain anglosaxon "prog" audiences whose need to adapt the objective to its own domain is ever as relentless.

The one dominant trend with Italian rock groups during the era approx 1970-73, was that near-manic stew of hard rock aggression with more intriguing structures and patterns - and often sans the most overt sophistication of most British progressive bands. Many of them sound unusually raw to non-accustomed ears; Biglietto per L'Inferno, Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno, Campo di Marte, Procession, Capitolo Sei, Semiramis, Flea, even bigger names like Osanna - the list goes on and on. Some great playing with wildly ambitious ideas amidst often a semi-chaotic approach to arrangements and form. A lot of this arose from the particular influences of these acts; VdGG, Jethro Tull and King Crimson were held in extremely high regard from an early point, and indeed it shows. There were other schools of course, like the keys-heavy bands (The Trip, Orme, Metamorfosi, L'Uovo di Colombo, Latte e Miele etc.) who displayed a prominent influence from The Nice/ELP and Quatermass, to the more refined senses of Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Maxophone, Arti e Mestieri, Museo Rosenbach and Locanda delle Fate (where indeed a pronounced Genesis-vibe became apparent), the jazz-influenced experimental bands (AreA, Picchio dal Pozzo, Il Baricentro and countless others) and so on. Il Balletto di Bronzo emannated from that formerly mentioned "manic" bulk, yet with Ys created something altogether utterly idiosyncratic and just, well - different.

The "complexity" or much alleged "inaccessability" (they are sadly often mistaken for one another) of this work rests on the grand scale of its overall structural concept, I think. It was an idea that simply demanded the tone of brute energy by which it was delivered; the feeling of charge and attack, of release and response, of doom and disaster. Anyone who read the original saga narrative of 'Ys' will know the depths of allegorical implications here. And yup, these weren't "fairies" or "fountains" or "topographics" of any kind - they were words and musical tales of despair and the destruction of the cosmos itself.

I love it. It attains an instrumental power and authority of conviction which VERY few 70s "symphonic" progressive acts would even come close to achieving, and I suppose this is what Steven Stapleton recognized when adding it to his infamous 'Nurse With Wound-list'. I also find it fascinating how the album's influence totally transgressed the "prog"-circuit and has been given credit with Japanoise bands, extreme metal acts and numerous purveyors of fringe rock in general.

The only other Italian act to match this combination of cerebral levels and sonic force was Cervello, whose Melos remains my no. 1 "symph" progressive title from down there.

The comparison with The Mars Volta is apt, although they were never really that successful at it. Modern progressive bands who come far closer to this sheer "transcendence of intense presence" in their music are Discipline and the now long-gone Time of Orchids, or someone like The Locust for that matter.
    On David Kerman’s recommendation I bought this like 20 years ago
    But for some weird reason it only clicked yesterday
    as usual I love what you wrote here man
    Digging this

I'm looking forward to their new album "Lemures" coming soon (they are Italians so "soon" is relative)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The notion that much/most of the 70s RPI was about post-PFM'ish "Genesissies" is largely a myth. I collected Italian progressive during the early years of reissues (1989-95), and soon came to know this myth by numbers. I'd say the MAIN bulk of RPI was anything but "Genesissy", and that the latter notion stems mostly from the lack of a frame of reference on the part of the receiving end among certain anglosaxon "prog" audiences whose need to adapt the objective to its own domain is ever as relentless.

The one dominant trend with Italian rock groups during the era approx 1970-73, was that near-manic stew of hard rock aggression with more intriguing structures and patterns - and often sans the most overt sophistication of most British progressive bands. Many of them sound unusually raw to non-accustomed ears; Biglietto per L'Inferno, Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno, Campo di Marte, Procession, Capitolo Sei, Semiramis, Flea, even bigger names like Osanna - the list goes on and on. Some great playing with wildly ambitious ideas amidst often a semi-chaotic approach to arrangements and form. A lot of this arose from the particular influences of these acts; VdGG, Jethro Tull and King Crimson were held in extremely high regard from an early point, and indeed it shows. There were other schools of course, like the keys-heavy bands (The Trip, Orme, Metamorfosi, L'Uovo di Colombo, Latte e Miele etc.) who displayed a prominent influence from The Nice/ELP and Quatermass, to the more refined senses of Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Maxophone, Arti e Mestieri, Museo Rosenbach and Locanda delle Fate (where indeed a pronounced Genesis-vibe became apparent), the jazz-influenced experimental bands (AreA, Picchio dal Pozzo, Il Baricentro and countless others) and so on. Il Balletto di Bronzo emannated from that formerly mentioned "manic" bulk, yet with Ys created something altogether utterly idiosyncratic and just, well - different.

The "complexity" or much alleged "inaccessability" (they are sadly often mistaken for one another) of this work rests on the grand scale of its overall structural concept, I think. It was an idea that simply demanded the tone of brute energy by which it was delivered; the feeling of charge and attack, of release and response, of doom and disaster. Anyone who read the original saga narrative of 'Ys' will know the depths of allegorical implications here. And yup, these weren't "fairies" or "fountains" or "topographics" of any kind - they were words and musical tales of despair and the destruction of the cosmos itself.

I love it. It attains an instrumental power and authority of conviction which VERY few 70s "symphonic" progressive acts would even come close to achieving, and I suppose this is what Steven Stapleton recognized when adding it to his infamous 'Nurse With Wound-list'. I also find it fascinating how the album's influence totally transgressed the "prog"-circuit and has been given credit with Japanoise bands, extreme metal acts and numerous purveyors of fringe rock in general.

The only other Italian act to match this combination of cerebral levels and sonic force was Cervello, whose Melos remains my no. 1 "symph" progressive title from down there.

The comparison with The Mars Volta is apt, although they were never really that successful at it. Modern progressive bands who come far closer to this sheer "transcendence of intense presence" in their music are Discipline and the now long-gone Time of Orchids, or someone like The Locust for that matter.
    8 years late, but I have to say that this is very well said :-)

They are back!!!

I get a bit of a Goblin vibe from this one, especially in the first half.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    They are back!!!

It's been 23 years since I saw them at NF in 2000. It took him 23 years to come up with this? I mean, it's not awful, but it's hardly earth-shattering, barely going anywhere in 8+ minutes. It does sound a lot like some of the more modern Goblin and Goblin-related bands. A lot of style, but not a lot of substance. I'll sample other tracks if/when they come out, but color me extremely unimpressed so far.

Bill

^ Gotta agree.

Went ahead and got Lemures yesterday. Overall, album is better than that track above suggests. It is NOT Ys by any stretch of the imagination. And there are times the synths are really weirdly done in terms of mix/sound choices. But I'm enjoying it as a late era RPI offering.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Il Balleto Di Bronzo: Ys
    Jeff Wagner turned me on to this album a couple of years ago. By the third song, I was on my phone in the Discogs app ordering a copy for myself. Brilliant release.

Since we are revisiting this again, I'd like to add that hearing YS, when it was first released, it had a very revolutionary feel to it, I really liked it and owned the Italian LP for many years (now just have the CD).

And for many people, hearing the thousands of prog-related records released in the 52 years since, may certainly sway ones view of it, but I can assure you, that in 72/73 it was awesome....!

I wish I could go back in time to my first listen of this album. I was really blown away!

Do note that the Mellow issue is the only CD with the correct track indexing. All the other CD releases are way off!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I've got a CD with the hosed track listing, but I don't even care. It's an amazing album, still one of my all-time favorites.