Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your least favorite RADIOHEAD song?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    So you listened to a song by a band generally acknowledged as their worst, didn't like it and then wrote off the band's entire career based on that... Interesting approach.
    Wasn't that their biggest hit?

If I listen to Roundabout, it still sounds like prog rock.

heh... you have a point there... except that this particular band didn't have a 10 year stretch of great Prog albums before they made that Pop Rock song did they?

obviously, I would be remiss if I do not go and find a video of the entire OK Computer album, which seems to be the only one Prog fans agree is listenable
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I don't know the band well enough to list a least favorite but I can tell you it's not "creep" which I actually like. I remember in college leaving a frat party when this was playing so it's sort of my "Louie Louie" if you will.

I kind of lost track of this band actually. Back around 2000 or so they had some cool stuff out but also some weird stuff(I mean weird in a good way though). They are definitely a band I need to rediscover.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Pyramid Song.

Not because it’s bad, mind - quite contrary: It’s too damn depressing.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

ok... about 2/3 through OK and ... well ... I agree with one of the people who commented under the video "I heard this advertised as "dark side of the moon for the information age." Well I would rather listen to any pink floyd studio album over this besides ummagumma. Even The Final Cut isn't as whiny as this."

whiny?... check
    Ummagumma worse?... I disagree

OK Computer is Nirvana with more special effects
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 02-25-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Im with Steve F.... Paranoid android.
    Different Steves, my friend.

Radiohead are alright. Several tunes I really don't like that much, though. But Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail are all quite good records. Whether or not they're "prog" - I absolutely couldn't care less.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Worst song? Got to be something off of King of Limbs, where they seriously lost the plot.

Great, great band.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    So you listened to a song by a band generally acknowledged as their worst, didn't like it and then wrote off the band's entire career based on that... Interesting approach.
    I wonder if anybody has ever completely written off Porcupine Tree on the strength of Linton Samuel Dawson?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I don't know the band well enough to list a least favorite but I can tell you it's not "creep" which I actually like. I remember in college leaving a frat party when this was playing so it's sort of my "Louie Louie" if you will.
    What does it mean to say that something is your "Louie Louie"? I know the song, but clearly I am missing some cultural reference here.

What's your least favorite RADIOHEAD song?

Everything on every album after Pablo Honey. I saw them in 93 supporting Cardiacs and they were brilliant live. So I bought the next album as well on the strength of their live gigs, The Bends, and was very disappointed, I didn't listen to it much as it bored me sitff!
    I didn't bother with any of their later shoegazing, Syd-Barrett-whimsy, pseudo-prog albums.

Fav tunes on Pablo Honey:
    1. Creep
    2. You
    3. Blow Out

You see back then I was well into all that 90s noisy, grungy, jangly, awkward guitar stuff: Cardiacs, Radiohead, Green Day, Pixies, Senseless Things, Nirvana, Blur, Thunderdogs, Pavement, Pearl Jam, Schwartzenegger, Offspring, Bush, Weezer, Foo Fighters, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr., Alice in Chains, Rollins Band, Machine Head, Therapy, Soundgarden etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I wonder if anybody has ever completely written off Porcupine Tree on the strength of Linton Samuel Dawson?
    I like the early PTree stuff ok... at least the vocalist doesnt go on and on andonandonandonandonandon leaving no room for the actual *music*. But even the music on OK Computer is fairly one dimensional and plodding with little variation aside from the studio effects.

I dont give a toss if one guy thinks its Prog and another doesnt. I've heard plenty of music that is better than most Prog. Radiohead is just boring... and that's after listening to their whole "masterpiece" album. I just kept thinking 'when is this whiny vocalist gonna shut up and let the musicians get a chance to play?'
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 02-25-2015 at 12:50 PM.

Radiohead is about as progressive as Oasis was.
    Anyone who knows progressive rock would know that Radiohead is a long way from being a prog band.
    I get why people like them, I get why people liked The Smiths and The Cure. I would say The Cure are more progressive than Radiohead.

The musicianship is just not there. They figured out how to play a couple songs in odd meter. That's about as sophisticated as they get.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    What does it mean to say that something is your "Louie Louie"? I know the song, but clearly I am missing some cultural reference here.
    In National Lampoon's Animal House, "Louie Louie" is presented as the ultimate soundtrack to any early/mid-60s student dorm-existence in the US. I suppose that's where the cliche stems from.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Anyone who knows progressive rock would know that Radiohead is a long way from being a prog band.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    What's your least favorite RADIOHEAD song?

Everything on every album after Pablo Honey. I saw them in 93 supporting Cardiacs and they were brilliant live. So I bought the next album as well on the strength of their live gigs, The Bends, and was very disappointed, I didn't listen to it much as it bored me sitff!
    I didn't bother with any of their later shoegazing, Syd-Barrett-whimsy, pseudo-prog albums.

Fav tunes on Pablo Honey:
    1. Creep
    2. You
    3. Blow Out

You see back then I was well into all that 90s noisy, grungy, jangly, awkward guitar stuff: Cardiacs, Radiohead, Green Day, Pixies, Senseless Things, Nirvana, Blur, Thunderdogs, Pavement, Pearl Jam, Schwartzenegger, Offspring, Bush, Weezer, Foo Fighters, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr., Alice in Chains, Rollins Band, Machine Head, Therapy, Soundgarden etc.

Similarly, I like Porcupine Tree up to and including The Sky Moves Sideways, when they were still a quirky indie-psych amorphous group of individuals coming and going. When they became a proper band with Signify, I didn't like what I was hearing.

Prog? no.
    Prog, no. Progressive, absolutely.

Nikki Minaj is progressive also because she is progressing her music into more and more computer manipulation and pushing the boundaries of ProTools to the point no one even plays an instrument anymore. She is showing the expanding possibilities of how anyone, even a completely untalented artist can sell music to millions. The possibilities are endless now.

Nikki Minaj is progressive also
    She could be for all I know, but somehow I doubt she's anywhere near as sophisticated as Radiohead. I don't think she could dream of approaching harmonic structure like "Everything in Its Right Place," for instance, or the rhythmic layering of "Bloom" and "15 Step," or the inventive sonics & production of... just about everything post-'95. From what you say it sounds like a different kind of progress entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    In National Lampoon's Animal House, "Louie Louie" is presented as the ultimate soundtrack to any early/mid-60s student dorm-existence in the US. I suppose that's where the cliche stems from.
    Right. Scrotum is on the right track here as far as what I was referring to. Yes I did have the movie Animal House in mind. There is a scene in the beginning where the guys who are pledging a fraternity are at a party when "Louie Louie" is playing and it continues to play as they leave. So that's what I was referring to. The only difference is I didn't get into the fraternity because I didn't want to fetch a bagel for a bunch of guys at four am.

I don't know if "Creep" is a substitute for Louie Louie. Actually come to think of it I'm sure it's not. But in my opinion it is sort of an anthem for the grunge generation. I can't think of any other song with lyrics about self loathing except for maybe something by Nirvana(the American Nirvana not the obscure English psych folk band. ).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-27-2015 at 02:04 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I get why people like them, I get why people liked The Smiths and The Cure. I would say The Cure are more progressive than Radiohead.

The musicianship is just not there. They figured out how to play a couple songs in odd meter. That's about as sophisticated as they get.
    Absolutely crazy comments. The only part I agree with is that they are a long way from being a prog band, which in my definition is watered down 70's pastiche / clone.