Thread: Releases from Kingston Wall & Sepi Kuu

Releases from Kingston Wall & Sepi Kuu

Two releases from Finnish psychdelic/progressive artists coming up, for those interested.

Kingtime, a double DVD from the 90s space-and-what-have-you-rock group Kingston Wall will be released on March 6th. The material contains most of the live footage shot of the band during their lifetime, as well as a new documentary on the group's mastermind Petri Walli, videos and clips from their television appearances. It should be region free, PAL and with English subtitles.

Sepi Kuu's quirky, homespun psych/poetry recitation albumRannan usvassa will finally come out on CD (Tachika does not count). Rocket Records will release it on April 4th.

Not an SK fan, but thanks for the heads up on the Kingston Wall DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Two releases from Finnish psychdelic/progressive artists coming up, for those interested.

Kingtime, a double DVD from the 90s space-and-what-have-you-rock group Kingston Wall will be released on March 6th. The material contains most of the live footage shot of the band during their lifetime, as well as a new documentary on the group's mastermind Petri Walli, videos and clips from their television appearances. It should be region free, PAL and with English subtitles.

Sepi Kuu's quirky, homespun psych/poetry recitation albumRannan usvassa will finally come out on CD (Tachika does not count). Rocket Records will release it on April 4th.
    I did see this about Sepi Kuu. Great - GREAT news as far as I'm concerned. Any chance, my friend, I could coerce you into another fine English translation of the liner notes after the CD arrives? I'll put it up on Unencumbered MR as I have all your others. They are invaluable to us souls who have no chance of understanding Finnish.

Here's my announcement of the SK: http://cdreissuewishlist.blogspot.co...-sepi-kuu.html

Not an KW fan, but thanks for the heads up on the Sepi Kuu CD. Never heard it, but I’ve long been curious (and I don’t patronize Tachika).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Man, I would have had "never" for the Sepi Kuu reissue pool. Probably have to get that.

I think Kingston Wall was great, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post

I think Kingston Wall was great, myself.
    Yeah, they struck me as a latter day Hurdy Gurdy. As for Sepi Kuu...I have a CDR that I'll admit to not having spent much time with, but my first impression didn't bring me back for multiple repeated listens.

I wouldn't have been in on the previous price point, but for $20 give or take I can dig it .

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I did see this about Sepi Kuu. Great - GREAT news as far as I'm concerned. Any chance, my friend, I could coerce you into another fine English translation of the liner notes after the CD arrives? I'll put it up on Unencumbered MR as I have all your others. They are invaluable to us souls who have no chance of understanding Finnish.
    Yeah, I'll see about that once I see the actual notes. I'm curious to see what Juha Rantala has managed to dig up about the group/artist. There seemed to be sod all available, when I was searching for information on Sepi Kuu about a decade ago.

Just my opinion, but I don't hold Rannan usvassa in very high regard. It's scarcity has made it very collectable, but musical quality doesn't correlate with collectability. Admitedly, there is something endearing and occasionally insprired about its combination of simple musical means and earnest young mystician's poetry (some of these texts appeared on poetry publications aroun the time the album was made), an captivating atmosphere at times. Nothing spectacular, though. But good enough that I'll certainly be getting a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Yeah, I'll see about that once I see the actual notes. I'm curious to see what Juha Rantala has managed to dig up about the group/artist. There seemed to be sod all available, when I was searching for information on Sepi Kuu about a decade ago.

Just my opinion, but I don't hold Rannan usvassa in very high regard. It's scarcity has made it very collectable, but musical quality doesn't correlate with collectability. Admitedly, there is something endearing and occasionally insprired about its combination of simple musical means and earnest young mystician's poetry (some of these texts appeared on poetry publications aroun the time the album was made), an captivating atmosphere at times. Nothing spectacular, though. But good enough that I'll certainly be getting a copy.
    Thanks Kai! I appreciate the offer, if you have the opportunity of course.

As for the contents within, I sort of bristled at the quality/collectability comment. And the reason is: When I was introduced to the album (Helsinki 1993), the record store told me it was a common album. So much so that while I did receive one copy as a gift, I bought about 5 more. At about $15 a pop. And I subsequently traded those with other European/American dealers (and heck yea, at their inflated trading prices). But for me, I loved the album the minute I heard it. And the context to me was it was a common record (I would have no idea honestly - but it wasn't common in the US that's for sure!). I suppose I personally made this album rare (that's when it started for sure..), but it was an authentic appreciation. When I made the announcement on the CDRWL, a couple of folks made a beeline to Youtube, and wrote me personally to tell me that they agreed with me. It's a specific taste, I realize. Many of my friends and peers disagree with me. Which is why I put in the blog: "I'm somewhat in the minority on this one I think. Which is puzzling to my little peanut brain at least."

I received my pre-ordered copy of Rannan usvassa just before Easter. Nothing much to say about, expect that the CD is another solid re-release from Rocket Records and that is great to have it finally on CD – and legitimately as well. It is a vinyl rip (see below for the reason why), but well done without too much processing. The original packaging was sparse and the CD adds nothing extra, except Juha Rantala's mandatory liner notes.

There isn't much new information on the album or the artist, probably because little exists in general. More text but less information than, say on Plastic maailma's booklet and no longer history like the write-up on Harvest. Some of the background information on Finnish music scene at the time may still be of interest to non-Finnish readers. Make up your own minds, here is a translation:

The Finnish music industry was going through a huge transition in the late 1970s. Record sales dropped dramatically with the onset of recession. This bankrupted many small Finnish record companies or forced them to stop releasing records.

Fewer records were sold, but consumption of recorded music changed, too. Of Finnish rock music styles, especially new wave punk and, briefly, rockabilly enjoyed chart success. At the same time, styles like progressive rock found their market niche shrinking more and more. Mainstream iskelmä music had been dominated by nostalgic dance music since the mid 1970s, but now it began to seek hits from more obvious pop numbers, such as Finnish covers of disco songs.

Amidst all this change, the music industry entrepreneur Jorma Heliander (1946 – 2013) set up his Tophits-Finnhits record label in 1978. The label only lasted until 1981, but it released a lot of dance music, cover versions of contemporary hits and rockabilly.

In 1980, Heliander set up another label, Heliander Production, in parallel with Tophits-Finnhits. The label operated for two years, releasing about twenty albums and a host of singles. Its greatest commercial success was the comedy album Iltaravit (The Evening Horse Races) which starred, among others, popular actor Heikki Kinnunen.

The most individual and undoubtedly least commercial album Heliander Production ever released was Sepi Kuu's Rannan usvassa (In the Mist of the Shore). Released in 1980 on vinyl only, Rannan usvassa had been recorded earlier that year in a bus converted into a recording studio. Juha Heininen was the recording engineer.

In the musical climate of 1980, the psychedelic folk rock of Rannan usvassa went almost totally against the grain. Some contemporary listeners may have been reminded of Pekka Streng's albums Magneettimiehen kuolema and Kesämaa from ten years earlier. They may have also found it dated at the time. Today it sounds arguably like an album ahead of its time. Its groundbreaking experimentalism and unconventionality have inspired and encouraged many experimental music makers in the 21st century.

Rannan usvassa is truly a solo album by Sepi Kuu (alias Teppo Lehto). He not only sang and played all the instruments but also composed and arranged all the songs and painted the cover. The lyrics were provided by artist and poet Mikko Tola (1954 – 1989).

Rannan usvassa garnered little attention on release. It never had a sequel either. Over time this record shop nightmare has become a much sought-after collector's item, with copies changing hands for as much as 600 Euros on international Internet auctions.

You are holding the first official re-release of Rannan usvassa. Shadoks Music will re-release the album on vinyl concurrently with this Rocket Records release. Unfortunately, these releases could not be made from the album master tape. It was destroyed in a fire at Jorma Heliander's house a few years ago. What you hear has been sourced and expertly mastered by Thomas Hartlage from a good-condition vinyl of Rannan usvassa.

Thanks Kai! I appreciate you taking the time to do this. It's interesting for certain. I'm still awaiting its arrival here in the States.

For Rannan usvassa, think I'll opt for the Shadoks vinyl.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS