Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beck - Is it worth checking him out?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    There's very little from the '90s that really caught my ear. The big three for me from that decade were Beck, Morphine, and Primus. Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, and the Smashing Pumpkins had their moments, but really that's about it for me.

That said, I've found even less since the '90s that's truly knocked me off my feet ...
    Morphine... Now yer talkin... "Like swimming" such a great album. Poor Sandman.
    Still alive and well...

Yeah, terrible shame that he was taken so early. I love Yes the most, but there's not a weak album in Morphine's catalog, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    There's very little from the '90s that really caught my ear. The big three for me from that decade were Beck, Morphine, and Primus. Tori Amos, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, and the Smashing Pumpkins had their moments, but really that's about it for me.

That said, I've found even less since the '90s that's truly knocked me off my feet ...
    The 90s is my least favorite decade, but Beck is one of those that is worth noting...Im not crazy about everything he has done, but there a bunch of gems scattered throughout.

As a sidebar, you should really check out Marilyn Manson.....I know, I know, but once you get past all the "shock value" garbage and "him as a stereotype", you will discover a band with solid material and performance....plus, a lot of their music reminds me of dark industrial versions of 70s Glitter Rock, and there are many catchy songs , like "(Dont Like The Drugs) But The Drugs Like Me", that gets Bowie-ish ("Fame") in the verses then goes into a great 70s Arena-Rock riff in the chorus...MM himself is an outstanding live performer as well, I just dont want to admit it to a lot of folks

OK, back to thread
    Last edited by klothos; 02-11-2015 at 08:40 PM.

^ Cool, thanks for the rec. I'll pop over to YouTube later tonight and see what I can discover. I admit to being turned off by the shock value and never really listened to MM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    To be honest, that I'm a Loser song is the only Beck I've heard. I'm not really planning on checking him out, but I now hate Kanye West and Beyonce even though I don't know their music at all, and feel kindly toward Beck.

Nice work Kanye , you ignoramus.

Yeah, he's okay, but a loser.

Morning Phase was my favourite album of last year across all genres, and well deserving of the award. I've enjoyed all of Beck's career, but I especially love the more acoustic side, Mutations is wonderful, especially the first half, and Sea Change is another winner, check them out if you haven't heard them

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart