Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac - Sentimental Lady

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Fleetwood Mac - Sentimental Lady

Heard this song on Sirius XM the other day. Had no idea this was by Fleetwood Mac. I didn't even know the title. Always found it a cloying AM radio kind of song. Just kind of surprised it was Fleetwood Mac, but I guess I don't know this era of the band at all.

Bob Welch re-did it for his album French Kiss in the late '70s and had a hit with it. That's the version I was familiar with as a kid.

I love this song. The Bob Welch hit version is much the same- in fact it too features members of Fleetwood Mac, and Christine McVie singing vocals on it.

Another couple of Welch songs from that period I think are terrific are 'Hypnotised' and 'Future Games'. It's unfortunate this is seen as a transitional era for the band- there's some lovely material on the albums I know of this period.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Heard this song on Sirius XM the other day. Had no idea this was by Fleetwood Mac. I didn't even know the title. Always found it a cloying AM radio kind of song. Just kind of surprised it was Fleetwood Mac, but I guess I don't know this era of the band at all.
    This is from the Bare Trees album and on that album...Danny Kirwan produced some very interesting Rock songs. "Child Of Mine", "Bare Trees", "Sunny Side Of Heaven" and "Dust" were timeless and haunting. Danny Kirwan's voice was hauntingly melodic. Bob Welch was more of an R&B style writer who occasionally produced ballads. Danny Kirwan's writing on Future Games is also timeless with tracks like "Sands Of Time" and "Woman Of A Thousand Years". Danny Kirwan went on to be the finest writer in Fleetwood Mac , escaping the full scale Blues style and even producing more finer melodic obscure composition than Peter Green produced on THEN PLAY ON. Ironically..the basis of Danny Kirwan's chord voicings, song structure, and melody phrasings had a huge impact on the Buckingham/Nicks writing style within Fleetwood Mac. When I listen to "Go Your Own Way", "Never Going Back Again", "Rhiannon", "Landslide", or even "World Turning", I hear Danny's chord structures and melodies that were formed 3 or 4 years prior to their existence. I feel his soul and recognize a certain formula existing within them. If you play all of the songs on guitar that I've mentioned , the connection ...whether it being intentional or not is evident and the science behind Kirwan's writing is then evident and obviously revealed. When Mick Fleetwood first heard the Buckingham/Nicks album in a studio...he stated that it reminded him of Danny Kirwan and that Fleetwood Mac needed a writer like that to continue. Sorry to go off thread ..but you should check Kirwan out on those 2 Fleetwood Mac titles. Kirwan's writing back then...was often reminiscent of Wishbone Ash material. "Time Was", "Leaf and Stream" and "The King Will Come" are all VERY reminiscent of Danny Kirwan's style of composition and even to the ridiculous point of Martin Turner's vocals sounding like Kirwan's and Kirwan's like Martin Turner's. I don't know why that is? If you listen to the songs I've listed by Wishbone Ash and the ones I mentioned that are written by Danny Kirwan , you will clearly make that distinction. Sorry about going off thread and no disrespect to Bob Welch either, but it's kind of a personal deep observation of mine that I enjoy sharing with others for the sake of conversation.

It's probably that Bob Welch version I know then.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just that I only ever heard it on my clock radio in the 70s.

Suspended
    Sentimental Lady was on the Bob Welch album French Kiss, and the album and single were both sizable hits in Oz at the time. He also had Ebony Eyes. (That is, he sang the song of that name, I don't know if Bob Welch's eyes were ebony.)

I don't recall ever hearing the original version of Sentimental Lady. It's a decent enough song, not one of my all time favourites, but it's OK.

The original version from "Bare Trees" is better, in my opinion. Bob Welch had a lot of good songs with Fleetwood Mac, my favorites being "Coming Home", "Angel", "Born Enchanter", "Emerald Eyes", "Hypnotized", "Future Games", and perhaps most of all, the instrumental "Safe Harbour"

More props here for Bob Welch era Mac. So many great, smokey tunes. My fave Mac era of late.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Always found it a cloying AM radio kind of song.
    I always thought so too. But then many, many years later I bought the Bare Trees album, and damned if it didn't sound kinda nice in context.

He also had a very distinct voice. Nobody sounds like Welsh. The 2 Kirwin songs mentioned above, WOMAN OF A THOUSAND YEARS and SANDS OF TIME are favorites of mine.

Buckingham, I believe, played the 12 string guitar on Welch's French Kiss version. He probably was the producer on that as well. There's a great video of Welch singing Ebony Eyes with Mick Fleetwood and Stevie Nicks on stage with him.

I did like "Hypnotized" but I'm a huge fan of the original lineup when they were a blues band. Never cared for much of what they did when they became big rock stars. It just made me appreciate the original lineup all the more.

It was probably their only real hit before the most well known version of the band so many people who don't know the band's history probably would assume it was some other band. In fact my ex step mother was quite surprised(and almost didn't believe me)when I told her this song was by Fleetwood Mac. If you really want to shock the average classic rock fan tell them Fleetwood Mac was the band who originally wrote and recorded "Black Magic Woman" and let the arguments begin. In fact you can probably make a lot of money betting with people on this. Just make sure you print out the Wikipedia page and put it in your back pocket first.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It was probably their only real hit before the most well known version of the band
    (coughs)
    Ummm,,, Albatross?

Oh Well also was a big hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It was probably their only real hit before the most well known version of the band so many people who don't know the band's history probably would assume it was some other band. In fact my ex step mother was quite surprised(and almost didn't believe me)when I told her this song was by Fleetwood Mac. If you really want to shock the average classic rock fan tell them Fleetwood Mac was the band who originally wrote and recorded "Black Magic Woman" and let the arguments begin. In fact you can probably make a lot of money betting with people on this. Just make sure you print out the Wikipedia page and put it in your back pocket first.
    Same with "Green Manalishi". Most Judas Priest fans have no clue that was originally a Fleetwood Mac song. Another one would be "Oh Well". I remember when Joe Jackson had a hit with it back in the 80's I had several arguments with people who did not believe that it was a Fleetwood Mac song.

Some US-UK confusion here. "Albatross" (and "Oh Well") were huge hits in the UK, but not in the US. "Oh Well" was a modest hit here--#55 nationally, though it made the local Top 30 where I lived. "Sentimental Lady" was never a hit for Fleetwood Mac; it was the Bob Welch version that was all over radio, and that came after the Buckingham-Nicks version of FM made their big splash.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Some US-UK confusion here. "Albatross" (and "Oh Well") were huge hits in the UK, but not in the US. "Oh Well" was a modest hit here--#55 nationally, though it made the local Top 30 where I lived. "Sentimental Lady" was never a hit for Fleetwood Mac; it was the Bob Welch version that was all over radio, and that came after the Buckingham-Nicks version of FM made their big splash.
    The much later live version of "Oh Well" with Lindsey Buckingham playing/singing was a rock radio staple in the USA for many years--in fact, it was the first version I heard, since was just a tyke when the original FM was in action.

I prefer the FM version of "Sentimental Lady," and I think it's a pretty great song, actually. But then, that entire album is fantastic. The Future Games/Bare Trees lineup was probably the best version of the band, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    The much later live version of "Oh Well" with Lindsey Buckingham playing/singing was a rock radio staple in the USA for many years--in fact, it was the first version I heard, since was just a tyke when the original FM was in action.

I prefer the FM version of "Sentimental Lady," and I think it's a pretty great song, actually. But then, that entire album is fantastic. The Future Games/Bare Trees lineup was probably the best version of the band, IMHO.
    I actually think Lindsey does a nice job on it. I was kind of hoping they would bring it back on one of their more recent tours, but has not happened.

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/qa/bobwelch_qa1.htm

Here's an excellent Q and A with Bob. 8 pages and he goes into great detail about his time with the Mac, the albums and songs and how it all sorta wound up with a snub when they got in the Hall of Fame and a lawsuit. I think he did patch things up with Mick before he passed though. Anyway, great read. Check it out!

The BBC documentary 'Rock Family Trees' had quite a bit on the Bob Welch period. Bob Welch was very funny in it, but it was made at a time when there was still rancour. I don't think there are many bands where there has been such an unfathomable amount of high drama.

Talking of Danny Kirwan, I've always been fond of his 'Sunny Side Of Heaven' instrumental. The albums of this period did reasonably in the US but in the UK, nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/qa/bobwelch_qa1.htm

Here's an excellent Q and A with Bob. 8 pages and he goes into great detail about his time with the Mac, the albums and songs and how it all sorta wound up with a snub when they got in the Hall of Fame and a lawsuit. I think he did patch things up with Mick before he passed though. Anyway, great read. Check it out!
    I just read Mick's new book and according to it Welsh was pretty much back on good terms with the whole band by the time he passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I just read Mick's new book and according to it Welsh was pretty much back on good terms with the whole band by the time he passed away.
    That's good to know. That Q & A was depressing. Somehow it hurts to think of Christine McVie, who writes all those sweet ditties, holding a painful grudge. (Of course, McVie wasn't in the band when Welch passed on, so I hope he meant her by extension.)
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

The band has a bizarre history based on several recorded events particularly with Spencer, Green, and Kirwan. The Munich incident was like a fork in the road for John McVie and a permanent state of mental illness for Peter Green and Danny Kirwan. On a personal note....It could be questionable as to just how much of the acid affected their brains. The cult stripped them of their identity while they were tripping. Surprisingly Danny Kirwan remained with the band for years after the Munich incident and wrote some amazingly beautiful music. It is possible that he was programmed by the cult, but remained inside himself in this kind of fantasyland..which seemed evident on "Woman Of A Thousand Years"...yet...he ended up having a breakdown at a show. He was a heavy drinker and it's possible that drinking helped him to forget what he had personally experienced in Munich. Green and Kirwan...both took acid and as they tripped, the cult worked on programming their minds. Jeremy Spencer disappeared in 71' when he was approached by a man named Apollo. Jeremy Spencer joined the "Children Of God" and released an album a year later. Fleetwood Mac's history is fascinating. Three members of a Rock band supposedly programmed by cults. Fairport Convention and Badfinger had a track record for horrific incidents, but Fleetwood Mac is no doubt the most bizarre in Rock history.

Wow - never knew that about Green. Just read up on it.

Gives new meaning to the song on Pete Bardens' album (on which he plays) "I Can't Remember What I Just Thought Of."