Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Nerve Institute - Fictions

Mike graciously agreed to answer a huge bunch of my questions and the results are now published at The Progressive Aspect -

http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog...rve-institute/

Thanks Mike, it's a great read.

*Link Now Corrected*
    Last edited by Jezmond; 05-31-2015 at 08:18 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice interview
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Awesome!

I'm particularly impressed by his recurrent dealings with mental health issues and drink, a handle which takes a lot of plain courage. And I find it very interesting tht he should point to another AltrOck band, Chance:Risiko (from Italy; now defunct), as the one he'd want to serve as ideal backing for eventual performance of his own works; their sole album is probably the other singular release of 'pure song' on that label (and a damn fine one).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

That was a really great interview!

Do you still have a copy of this, Mike.

IMG_0572.jpg
    "Linear Notes"...

IMG_0573.jpg
    Last edited by 100423; 06-02-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm particularly impressed by his recurrent dealings with mental health issues and drink, a handle which takes a lot of plain courage. And I find it very interesting tht he should point to another AltrOck band, Chance:Risiko (from Italy; now defunct), as the one he'd want to serve as ideal backing for eventual performance of his own works; their sole album is probably the other singular release of 'pure song' on that label (and a damn fine one).
    Thanks, that's very kind of you, and I loved Chance:Risiko. Those guys or Capillary Action both would've been a perfect Nerve Institute; the other fantasy-band for that situation would be Electric Masada, which is never gonna happen, but I think if I could have anybody it would be those guys.

And John, links don't work for me, but "linear notes" sounds exactly like the kind of weird pun I'd made for no particular reason ...

Quote Originally Posted by mjudge View Post
    And John, links don't work for me, but "linear notes" sounds exactly like the kind of weird pun I'd made for no particular reason ...
    Well crap, I'll repost the photos when I get to work in the morning.

That interview is GREAT! I need to play Fictions again soon - and acquire the first ... errr second? ... one.

Quote Originally Posted by mjudge View Post
    Those guys or Capillary Action both would've been a perfect Nerve Institute.
    Ah yes, Capillary Action - I've only got So Embarrassing, but that album displays a unit able to perform just about anything! Great band...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    That was a really great interview!

Do you still have a copy of this, Mike.

IMG_0572.jpg
    "Linear Notes"...

IMG_0573.jpg
    We called them that because we were discussing the linear nature of the improvisational approach to this recording...

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    We called them that because we were discussing the linear nature of the improvisational approach to this recording...
    Oh yeah, those were the most linear of linear notes. For those who don't know me in person: that was a free-jazz group I played with for a couple years in the mid-2000s. John: is that album any good? Haven't heard it since probably 2006 ...

I was reminded to revisit Mikes's stuff by Eric Kearns tonight
    Listening again just reassured me - Mike is a such a talent
    and there is another album of his already mastered for Altrock that alas never got to be released ...

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Awesome stuff from an amazing talent!

and there is another album of his already mastered for Altrock that alas never got to be released ...
    Pourquoi?

Bill

Bummer....I hope one day that will change.
    <sig out of order>

I'm constantly impressed with every little thing in each song. Mike really made something special in those releases. His guitar really grabs me. I think they sound damn good too. No clue how many pieces those were made from or how many different sounding recording there were too. Its just superb.

I also love these two releases. Adventurous, challenging but accesible at the same time.

I would love to hear that other album that has been on the shelves for years.

I just noticed that Mike Judge has at least one published novel out. Here is a review.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...sts-of-europe/

Seems a very interesting read.

Revisiting this recently led me to conclude Mike is an incredible talent
    Too bad his muse took him away from music to literature ( he has written a few books in the last decade)
    Anyway
    I also found the master of Fictions 2 which I worked on for Marcello but was unfortunately left unreleased
    I try to make contact with Mike in order to ask him about a possible Bandcamp release but got no answer

Revisiting this recently led me to conclude Mike is an incredible talent
    Too bad his muse took him away from music to literature ( he has written a few books in the last decade)
    Anyway
    I also found the master of Fictions 2 which I worked on for Marcello but was unfortunately left unreleased
    I try to make contact with Mike in order to ask him about a possible Bandcamp release but got no answer
    I agree completely. Both Nerve Institute albums are incredible. I didn't realize a third one had been produced but not released. Too bad.

Do you have the titles of any of his books? I'd be interested in looking them up.

Bill

I was thinking just yesterday about posting to ask if anyone knew what Mike has been up to lately.

Great albums by a great talent. A shame there haven't been more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I agree completely. Both Nerve Institute albums are incredible. I didn't realize a third one had been produced but not released. Too bad.

Do you have the titles of any of his books? I'd be interested in looking them up.

Bill
    Look up Michael S. Judge books

Here is something I found on yt

https://youtu.be/IJCZ9HVkNsg

Look up Michael S. Judge books

Here is something I found on yt

https://youtu.be/IJCZ9HVkNsg
    Thanks you! I found him under Michael S. Judge. All I was getting was Beavis and Butthead when I searched Mike Judge!

Quite a few interesting titles, both fiction and nonfiction. I'm putting them in my queue. Sadly, my reading has been severely limited since I started writing, but I hope to get back in the swing soon. Coincidentally, I frequently use the refrain of a Nerve Institute song in my books, "You can get used to anything," which perfectly captures the plight of one of the main characters.

Bill

Thanks man I did my best it was tough...
    The good news is there is another complete album that is already mastered that is perhaps even better then this one in Altrocks vaults
    Mike Judge is in my opinion one of the very best musicians of this day and age and its a shame he is so unknown
    Seriously this guy is the real deal

https://soundcloud.com/udi-koomran/t...whistling-wire
    Mike, of course, used to be here on PE. I remember this from back in the day. He is, quite simply, brilliant
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...