Thread: Prog Rock collectables article

Prog Rock collectables article

Hi heres an article I did on rare prog rock collectables on vinyl.

http://figure8magazine.co.uk/default...bums-on-vinyl/

Quote Originally Posted by matty3198 View Post
    Hi heres an article I did on rare prog rock collectables on vinyl.

http://figure8magazine.co.uk/default...bums-on-vinyl/
    Nice article. I suppose it wasn't easy selecting 10 (most of which I'd never heard of). I was expecting to find the mono mix of From Genesis To Revelation in the top 5, if only because of the price!
    One remark: you misnamed Aphrodite's Child Aphrodite's Dream for some reason...
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

I can't agree about Genesis albums being really common- over the years, the classic 70s Gabriel/early Collins ones have all but disappeared, even the blue label reissues which used to be seen regularly have vanished. Same with Yes...the hundreds/thousands-of-pounds albums are only things that never sold much in the first place.

'From Genesis To Revelation' on mono is indeed super-rare. Makes me glad I collect this stuff on CDs, though the mono mix hasn't been re-released on that format.

With this vinyl resurgence, it's mid-late 80s pop and a certain type of easy listening (Mantovani/James Last/cover versions of hits etc.) that there seems to be no interest in at all....if there ever was.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-10-2015 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'From Genesis To Revelation' on mono is indeed super-rare. Makes me glad I collect this stuff on CDs, though the mono mix hasn't been re-released on that format.
    I wonder why. The release of the Beatles's mono box in 2009 seemed to have sparked a new interest in mono re-issues on CD. I'm surprised that Jonathan King didn't grab that opportunity to make money by releasing yet another version of the album that would finally have included the mono mix.
    There was a guy on the old Genesis forum who was a professional sound engineer and who made several great remasters of classic Genesis bootlegs. He did a great clean-up job on the FGTR mono mix and was apparently in touch with King, going as far as sending him his version. It seems nothing came of it, unfortunately.

^That album has been re-released endlessly too. I mean, it's not a great album by any means, but it's part of the story, Genesis are still hugely popular and the mono mix is a legitimate rarity. Most other prog bands don't really have such a thing as a mono mix- there had been a shift towards stereo. A couple I can think of right now are Jethro Tull's 'This Was' and Caravan's debut- both are on CD, and the latter is indeed superior.

Indeed, is the mono FGTR in any way different, or just a 'fold-down'? That may explain things a little.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^That album has been re-released endlessly too. I mean, it's not a great album by any means, but it's part of the story, Genesis are still hugely popular and the mono mix is a legitimate rarity. Most other prog bands don't really have such a thing as a mono mix- there had been a shift towards stereo. A couple I can think of right now are Jethro Tull's 'This Was' and Caravan's debut- both are on CD, and the latter is indeed superior.

Indeed, is the mono FGTR in any way different, or just a 'fold-down'? That may explain things a little.
    It's not just a fold down, so it's really interesting for fans. It's a much more enjoyable listen than the stereo version IMO, especially on heaphones, because the strings are less prominent since they're not confined to one side of the stereo spectrum. There's also less reverb on Peter's voice, and many others subtle differences that die-hards have picked up. Definitely worth releasing, especially if King wants to attract fans who are sick of always buying the same album over and over.

I'm a bit surprised JD Blackfoot's Ultimate Prophecy didn't make the list.

Except from Dark (not progressive), Dr. Z, Ptolomy Psycon and Agincourt (not progressive), the other 6 are rather common ones.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I'm a bit surprised JD Blackfoot's Ultimate Prophecy didn't make the list.
    I think he talked prog (but it has Agincourt, May Blitz and Dark however...)
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Except from Dark (not progressive), Dr. Z, Ptolomy Psycon and Agincourt (not progressive), the other 6 are rather common ones. I think he talked prog (but it has Agincourt, May Blitz and Dark however...)
    In the "good" ol' Record Collector heyday, "progressive" was everything made by an even remotely underground act in the UK during approx 1968-75.

Stormcock is scarce these days, but mostly because it's continuously high in demand on vinyl. Surprised they didn't include the Bodkin original.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Surprised they didn't include the Bodkin original.
    Or Mellow Candle, as they seem rather large in their definition of prog.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The album with the big red face looks familiar to me? King Crimson, who are they?

Jim

In the "good" ol' Record Collector heyday, "progressive" was everything made by an even remotely underground act in the UK during approx 1968-75.
    A quite frequent source of disappointment in my early collector days seeing something listed as a “prog monster” only for it to be a sort of Black Sabbath knock-off band.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    A quite frequent source of disappointment in my early collector days seeing something listed as a “prog monster” only for it to be a sort of Black Sabbath knock-off band.
    I bet you are referring to Necromandus

Not very Sabbathy, but Sabs always popped-up next to them in dealers descriptions...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Or that fucking Elias Hulk album. With the most ludicrous drum solo this side of... well, you know who.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Or that fucking Elias Hulk album. With the most ludicrous drum solo this side of... well, you know who.
    I haven't listen to my vinyl for over 25 years. Even forgot that it had a drum solo. That shows how memorable it was...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS