Thread: James Newton Howard Live

James Newton Howard Live

Even on the lowly CD, which is all I have alas, this album sounds better than anything else I possess.
    The idea of doing it in real time and live is what makes it so special.
    A musical triumph.

Quote Originally Posted by member View Post
    Even on the lowly CD, which is all I have alas, this album sounds better than anything else I possess.
    The idea of doing it in real time and live is what makes it so special.
    A musical triumph.
    Uh....doing what in real time? Maybe you can actually try explaining what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Uh....doing what in real time? Maybe you can actually try explaining what you're talking about.
    The disc, sorry, I thought that was the subject.
    Please excuse me I am still a newbie on here.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    It's a live (in studio) direct to disc (lacquer) recording produced and issued by Sheffield Labs. The vinyl version is incredible and technically one of the best records I've ever heard, never thought before that vinyl was capable of such dynamics. As far as the music is concerned, it's mainly instrumental jazz-rock/fusion played by highly competent studio musicians, including TOTO's David Paich and the the three Porcaro's.

I prefer his 1974 album, which is just him, his piano, organ and ARP synths. Well, his wife Brie (then with Fanny) guests on drums on the opening and closing tracks. It’s a very progressive release!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

One of my very favorite CDs. The sound is incredible. I've never heard the vinyl.
    I think it was a Yamaha project using something like 9 DX7's and a drum kit. The DX7 was new at that time and I think this was supposed to be a promo.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    One of my very favorite CDs. The sound is incredible. I've never heard the vinyl.
    I think it was a Yamaha project using something like 9 DX7's and a drum kit. The DX7 was new at that time and I think this was supposed to be a promo.
    Probably one of the few times in history where the DX-7 actually sounded good. I actually remember Keyboard magazine using the track Amuseum on one of their Soundpages at the time. That's the only track I ever heard, and I thought it sounded pretty good. That was before I'd learn to hate the DX-7 "Rhodes" and "slap bass" sounds

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I think Toto might have been instrumental in the creation of the DX7 seeing as they were one of the few artists to use its precursor instruments, the GS1 and GS2 (which were preset instruments that read data from cartridges).

Incidentally, here’s the cover to his first album which came out a decade earlier (on Kama Sutra records):

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...