Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson's next confirmed remix is....

Steven Wilson's next confirmed remix is....

Fragile!

Just confirmed in an interview posted on Facebook just now.

Awesome!!!! Fragile is my favorite album of all time. #1. The Best. (in my worthless opinion.)

I'm already looking forward to XTC Oranges And Lemons that is apparently all wrapped up.
    The Prog Corner

Apparently there are several more remixes ready to roll out through the year. They were all done last year so that SW can focus on his own stuff this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Apparently there are several more remixes ready to roll out through the year. They were all done last year so that SW can focus on his own stuff this year.
    Care to elaborate?

If that's so, it will be a completely letdown. Was eagerly waiting for the remix of TFTO. A 5.i Sorround mix of this recording will have much more impact than with Fragile.

Color me less than enthused about this one. Fragile is the probably the one Yes album where I have a hard time imagining anyone being able to improve upon Eddie Offord's work.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I have the DVD-A of Fragile and it is excellent. I'd find it hard to improve on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Color me less than enthused about this one. Fragile is the probably the one Yes album where I have a hard time imagining anyone being able to improve upon Eddie Offord's work.

I agree completely

I also think that the original vinyl pressings trump any digitally mastered disc. one album that I cue up the turntable over the disc player

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    I agree completely

I also think that the original vinyl pressings trump any digitally mastered disc. one album that I cue up the turntable over the disc player
    +1 It sounds fantastic already.

Eddie Offord rules!

Spectral Mornings is one of them

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Spectral Mornings is one of them
    Right, forgot about that one, thanks!

Ah, pity, I dreamed about Going for the One, my favorite...

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    +1 It sounds fantastic already.
    I was going to post the same, Fragile in my opinion sounds amazing just the way it is.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I have the DVD-A of Fragile and it is excellent. I'd find it hard to improve on that.
    Agreed.

Although I quite like his CTTE mix, I'm very let down by TYA and Relayer. I listened to Weidner's Fragile DVD-A afterwards and thought it was a shame that he wasn't in charge of all these. I just don't see a big market for this so they are going to need some spectacular bonus material, and they have already used America.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Just repeating what was said in the interview. I'm surprised SW actually let slip on any titles - he's usually quite discrete until the record company confirm a release date.

Slightly disappointed to be honest - I've already got the Fragile dvd-a and was hoping it would be Going For The One, which to my ears has always sounded thin and lacking in bottom end (cue Spinal Tap song......)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    This is how I feel about almost all of the albums he's doing new stereo mixes of...nothing really wrong with them as they are so I'm not interested really. 'Aqualung' was the exception for me and I did buy that and enjoyed it.

I know 'Relayer' has its detractors but the manic shrillness is IMHO part of what that album is. Did I read about some of the 'battle sounds' of 'The Gates Of Delirium' missing from his remix (presumably out of necessity, missing multi-tracks etc.)?

GFTO is indeed a deeply problematic recording...but I fear that huge, trebly echo is on the recording itself. I may be wrong.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-10-2015 at 06:01 AM.

Can someone give a link to the interview? I couldn't find it.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

^ Thanks!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rojon View Post
    Agreed.

Although I quite like his CTTE mix, I'm very let down by TYA and Relayer. I listened to Weidner's Fragile DVD-A afterwards and thought it was a shame that he wasn't in charge of all these. I just don't see a big market for this so they are going to need some spectacular bonus material, and they have already used America.
    I also wan't impressed by Relayer mix. I can't hear much improvement vs Rino's remastered that IMHO doesn't sound very good.
    In my humble opinion, the best sounding version of Gates of Delirium can be found in Yes Symphonic DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by rojon View Post
    Agreed.

Didn't you guys think that the DVD-A Rhino released of Fragile has too much reverb added? Especially on Mood For A Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Didn't you guys think that the DVD-A Rhino released of Fragile has too much reverb added? Especially on Mood For A Day?
    Well, I know what you're saying on Mood For A Day, the reverb is very present. Would I pull it back a touch? Maybe a bit but not so for the rest of the album, overall very clean and bright with sounds well placed.

I can find things I would change on any mix. My personal favorite of the 5.1's is CTTE, but I think the melotrons come across a little too brash. Weidner's Fragile is my second favorite but it seems odd that the low synth was omitted in South Side of the Sky coming out of the piano/vocal interlude. But these are fairly small complaints on a remix of such well known material. I think these two entries are about as good as you can get.

I only wish I could say the same for the last two 5.1 entries. I'm surprised that no one here had an issue with the center channel vocals. There is nothing I can do to compensate for their dull muted sound. They sit low in the mix but even if I boost the center volume, they still sound very flat against the brighter instrumentation.

---

PS - In the spirit of fairness I should maybe say the Weidner's 5.1 mix of Magnification comes across as flat overall which I don't get from the regular stereo CD mix.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    For cd I quite enjoy the MFSL version, I doubt he can top that.
    I have that too. Good enough for me. I also have the Rhino for the bonus stuff.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."