Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wakeman, Anderson, Howe & Bruford - s/t

Wakeman, Anderson, Howe & Bruford - s/t

The worst thing about this album is the lack of originality when it came to coming up with a name.
    Some of the material is spectacularly good.
    Of course Anderson's drivel makes the same amount of sense as usual, but then I always consider vocals to be a throat instrument and never read them when listed on various albums.
    Persoanlly I find Wakeman in top form on this LP, never bettered, ecept perhaps in his solo material.
    Great album, great cover, spun it today.

I'd argue that the worst thing about this album is Wakeman's choices in sounds, but to each his own.

What they call ts doesn't affect how I enjoy the actual music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd argue that the worst thing about this album is Wakeman's choices in sounds
    And his hair.

I like the first half of the album a lot. Some great tracks, lots of energy, good playing... and then after "The Meeting" it falls apart into some of the worst material to have emerged from those guys. But yeah, "Brother Of Mine", "Birthright", "Themes", "Fist Of Fire"... all good stuff.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

don't like the drums, Bruford used electronic drums on this CD- sounds like a drum machine through a tunnel.

Seems to me that the name is solely for recognition, which worked.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I'd argue that the worst thing about this album is Wakeman's choices in sounds, but to each his own.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

The keyboard sounds were cutting edge for the time and didn't sound so obnoxious back then. The electronic drums were always a problem, though.

The first half of the album features some good song ideas that occasionally needed more development. The second half is an unmitigated disaster area.

This was the album where I really noticed how important Squire's vocals are to the Yes sound. Their absence on ABWH is a far bigger drawback than not having his bass playing, since Levin did a good job in that department.

But besides the terrible name, awful keyboard sounds, awful drum sounds, bad hair, often lazy and/or terrible writing, fake Howe guitars and lack of Chris Squire it's not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    don't like the drums, Bruford used electronic drums on this CD- sounds like a drum machine through a tunnel.
    That's my main problem with this album too. It has it's moments and I was exited when I heard these guys were together. I wouldn't call it a bad album, but the Bruford drums are horrible. Makes the recording sound plastic.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The tour was simply amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by member View Post
    The worst thing about this album is the lack of originality when it came to coming up with a name.
    Some of the material is spectacularly good.
    Of course Anderson's drivel makes the same amount of sense as usual, but then I always consider vocals to be a throat instrument and never read them when listed on various albums.
    Persoanlly I find Wakeman in top form on this LP, never bettered, ecept perhaps in his solo material.
    Great album, great cover, spun it today.
    Curious why you changed the name of the band. I can see you dig Wakeman so maybe that's it. ANDERSON WAKEMAN BRUFORD HOWE. More recognizable I'm just sayin'. I have no problem with this album I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I remember 2 tours supporting this album. At least I saw them twice and yes both times were great.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    But besides the terrible name, awful keyboard sounds, awful drum sounds, bad hair, often lazy and/or terrible writing, fake Howe guitars and lack of Chris Squire it's not bad.
    Exactly!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I remember 2 tours supporting this album. At least I saw them twice and yes both times were great.
    Agreed. Forget which one was which, but one show featured a transcendent "Close to the Edge" and the other had a magnificent "Order of the Universe."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Funny, I think side 2 of ABWH contains the only standout tracks on the album: "Quartet" and "Let's Pretend." The rest of the album I find to be crap, with the exception of maybe "Brother Of Mine" and "Themes." I was so excited at the time and then so disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Funny, I think side 2 of ABWH contains the only standout tracks on the album: "Quartet" and "Let's Pretend." The rest of the album I find to be crap, with the exception of maybe "Brother Of Mine" and "Themes." I was so excited at the time and then so disappointed.
    You don't like "Fist of Fire"? ABWH is a very good (not quite great) album, but the concert was outfuknstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You don't like "Fist of Fire"? ABWH is a very good (not quite great) album, but the concert was outfuknstanding.
    Sorry, but that's the song I hate the most. Glad you like it.

Agreed. The biggest offender of Wakeman's awful keyboard sounds, IMO.

I'm glad you're glad I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I wouldn't call it a bad album, but the Bruford drums are horrible. Makes the recording sound plastic.
    Bruford's solo spot in the show (the last of the four) sucked, too. It was pointless. Likewise, the drum duet with Bruford and White in the Union concert was underwhelming.

I was so excited at the time and then so disappointed.
    My experience as well. I liked it for one or two listens. Then with repeated listens it became less and less appealing.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

It was great when it came out but it maybe hasn't worn so well over time. I still like it but haven't heard the whole thing from start to finish in a very long time.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Agreed. The biggest offender of Wakeman's awful keyboard sounds, IMO.
    I guess you're not a big fan of Tormato either then.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I guess you're not a big fan of Tormato either then.
    His sounds on Tormato haven't aged well, either, but they're better than those on ABWH, IMO.