Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CIRCULINE: a new modern progressive rock band (video)

Last edited by DGuitarist; 08-04-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Sounded very listenable to me. Keep us informed once it's out.

Tom

I especially liked the instrumental fragments at the end.

I enjoyed that, especially the vocal harmonies and the instrumental parts towards the end of the piece. The voices blend very well, and the melody is memorable - two aspects that are important to me. In general, I liked the overall energy of the song. Looking forward to hearing more!

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    And our cd release party is Friday April 24th - at our first gig at the Bearsville Theater (Woodstock NY), warming up for GLASS HAMMER.
    Sweet!

I'll buy this.

Nice to see Frank Wyatt is supporting Circuline on his new website: http://craftyhands.net/category/bands/

Thanks!!!

I like it. It sounds very fresh and modern but still in the grand tradition of classic symph prog.

I would like to point out though that I don't believe members are allowed to have youtube links in their sigs. I suppose if you aren't planning on posting anywhere but here it might not be much of a problem.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-24-2015 at 10:31 PM.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I'm definitely considering the show at Bearsville. I can't check out the clip at work but will when I'm home. If the band is my cuppa symph, would definitely be additional impetus to drive 2+ hours to Woodstock that Friday night (as if GH was not incentive enough!)

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    Done. Didn't know that was taboo.
    And thank you for listening, and critiquing our music. We really appreciate it.
    We're now working on our second album.
    Sure. Hopefully your band will be added to progarchives soon and also available for purchase at symphonic at some point. I would like to buy your music at some point myself. I think the only real way to support progressive music is to either go to the shows or buy the music or both. Your sound is really up my alley and I'm glad to see newer bands doing stuff like this. Good luck with the GH gig.

As for the youtube sig thing yeah I remember when this site was new a bunch of people were doing it but at some point were warned because too many people started doing it and it caused problems(technical issues not to mention possible spamming). Mentioning your band like the way you have it now is perfectly fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I'm definitely considering the show at Bearsville. I can't check out the clip at work but will when I'm home. If the band is my cuppa symph, would definitely be additional impetus to drive 2+ hours to Woodstock that Friday night (as if GH was not incentive enough!)
    Circuline is comprised of a bunch of excellent players and I expect they will be terrific. Please come out! BTW that venue is in Todd's old video studio, apparently...

Just watched the vid. Definitely hits all the right sympho notes for me. Great job.

Suspended
    I have a question. You are based in New York state, but to my ears the male vocalist sounds English. Is that right, or is it just my ears playing tricks? Or is it that there's a particular "prog" voice that singers tend to affect, and I associate it with being English because that's where most of the early progressive bands came from?

It's nice to see some local NY musicians doing something worthwhile for sure. Nice Job Bill ! really, I know quite well the effort involved and the heart and soul you invest in an endeavour like this, and I hope the market is still bearing fruit for your work.

All the best with this gentlemen, keep your drums tight and your keys dry!

Randy
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Got my ticket for the GH/Circuline show in Woodstock 4/24/15. I will definitely pick up the CD at the show and am looking forward to seeing the gig!

Killer!

see you tonight!

Well, how was the show? Lots of promotion, and a well known headline band and Todd's famous stomping grounds to boot! That theater still does draw a decent crowd for some shows.
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Circuline's set, as long if not longer than GH's, actually had more butts in the seats than GH's. It might have been nice for those who came to see Circuline to stick around for GH's set. I counted about 40 folks if that remaining in the theater for GH, twice the number for Circuline. Gotta admire a band who has the chutzpah to film their first gig. Dr. Collyer on keys was holding on for dear life during their covers of Yes' HotS and Genesis' Firth of Fifth. I'm not a musician but I felt for the guy and band during these numbers, which only narrowly avoided what my choral director refers to as "trainwrecks." Admire their willingness to tackle these but enjoyed their original material more. The female vocalist's guest spots with GH were really impressive, as are both vocalists in Circuline.

Well this concert for Circuline was in their neck o' the woods, so it makes sense they had more people. From Trurl's comment I am glad everyone had a good night and that things went better farther south. I was curious because I used to play a lot of music with the guitarist in Circuline some time back until one of the guy's in the band we were both in blew a gasket (not he or I)... and that band quickly went south after this. I also asked because I was hopeful they drew a good crowd as they have some very good music from what I have listened to. Hats off guy's.. Nice work! and considering the great headlining band GH..... and all in this well known prog venue in upstate NY it seemed a good bet.
    I have a classic prog tribute band "Prog Chronicles" and we play Firth of Fifth and a lot of Genesis. Also material from Yes, Gentle Giant, ELP, Focus, King Crimson, and so many more as well. I am having a difficult time of getting us started as this area is a tough sell for prog anymore and it seems the only (newer) bands that play are bands that have musicians who have enough money from their day jobs to constantly suppliment the lack of ticket sales with personal cash to keep going. We do not have that in this band. So I need to do things as well as I can and with almost no contacts in the music industry. I was hoping that perhaps there was a "good turnout" for this show, as it is easier to approach a venue (and Bearsville Theater was one of the places I had hopes for) after they make money on a proven fan base. Prog is actually very risky, according to every single venue I have spoken with so far, so it is an all out job to book gig's without spending a lot of money. Unless you are a better known prog show and have some proven track record. (makes sense but it makes it tough)
    I am glad the bands had fun and the music was good. There is no set of rules that make for sure success. Ya just write as well as your band possibly can, and you take it out and see if it catches on. Some bands walk away fast if there is no return others hang on for a long time. Some bands have that spark and their music catches fire. We ourselves have decided to "not" venture into the originals arena. We are content with putting on a tribute act, unlike most any other tribute. Paying homage to the entire genre. That's a tough enough market for us to work in. My hats off to bands like Glass Hammer and now Circuline and so many more good bands like them. Writting interesting Progressive Rock that is not just "Shred" material is apparently not that easy as not many do it well. And marketing prog can be just as challenging. These guy's obviously love what they do and they certainly seem to have some talent for it.
    Last edited by Classic Progressive; 04-29-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Circuline had a lot of people there specifically for their cd release party and I suppose some of them had to get up the next day It is what it is... the problems on the two covers were hardware related. I know on HotS the piano sound came up in the wrong octave and I think there was a stuck note or something that had to get reset... gremlins we ironed out by the next night in Proghouse. That stuff can ruin your day, Andrew had a lot of presence of mind to deal with it and keep on playing

Just noticed Circuline has a new album out, featuring Stan Whitaker and Randy McStine
    http://circulinemusic.com/

Hey guys,

Thanks for the post about the new album!

Here's the first official video - "Forbidden Planet":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAQO4i-ipo

Opening keyboard sequence is being performed on a ROLI Seaboard Rise,
    and the guest guitarist is Alek Darson (Fright Pig, Meridian Voice Project).

Enjoy!

Just listening to the album for the first time: this is some serious stuff. They call themselves a modern cinematic Progrock-band and indeed, the music is modern, has lots of cinematic instrumental parts and has a full high tech progrock-sound. The vocals are very intense and with all those guitarists the symphonic sound has plenty of rocking, virtuoso riffs and solo's by the likes of Beledo, Randy McStine, Matt Dorsey, Dough Ott, Stanley Whitaker, Ryche Chlanda, Kamran Alan Shikoh and Alek Darson (and their own Billy Spillane of course. Sounds like there are also some fretless basses involved and very lively drum- and percussion-arrangements. Well done!