Thread: Bryan Ferry

Bryan Ferry

I have yet to be disappointed by any release I have bought by him and today's purchase is no exception — Mamouna from 1994. Rather than trying to keep up with the times and throw a bunch of techno beats into his songs, he sticks to his own thing with excellent results. This is the first album I have bought from him post 1985's classic Boys and Girls. Anybody familiar with his material up to the present? Anything stand out?

Bęte noire from 1987 is very good.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I bought the Roxy box this summer and like all the albums except for the really bad one . . . Um, the one before Avalon. Where should I start with the solo stuff?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I bought the Roxy box this summer and like all the albums except for the really bad one . . . Um, the one before Avalon. Where should I start with the solo stuff?
    I'm not sure if there is a wrong place to start in his '70s and '80s catalog. If you like Avalon then Boys and Girls should be a no brainer for his '80s material. For the '70s, you might want to start with In Your Mind. Another Time, Another Place might be my favorite from the '70s, but it's a covers album — covers that sound very different from the originals, very Ferry.

The Bride Stripped Bare is outstanding.

And as one of PE's resident Dylan fanatics I have to say that IMO Bryan is a superb interpreter of Bob's material. He's never a slave to the original and always brings his own touch to the songs. In other words, don't dismiss the covers albums: Bryan, like Bowie and only a couple of others, makes covers his own.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new trad jazz album.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Lots of great stuff, but In your mind and Bete noire are my favorites. Also, there's a show on Wolfgang's from the In your mind period, with one of the best bands ever. ( Manzanera, Spedding, Wetton, Thompson, Collins, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by scags View Post
    Bete noire are my favorites.
    I'll have to pick that up next.

You have Gilmour playing a lot of the solos, as a bonus.

Actually, the BF album I go to most often is Taxi, a covers album that just really works.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I've always loved BF, and once wrote that I thought he was "the best lounge singer on acid in the history of music".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman