Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Radiohead- Haven't seen a thread in ages!!

Radiohead- Haven't seen a thread in ages!!

How are this band percieved amongst PE's, favourite albums etc???

Radiohead drummer Philip Selway says the band’s ninth album is “coming along nicely” – although he can’t predict how it’s going to play out.

The band started working on the follow-up to 2010’s The King Of Limbs in September. They took a break at the end of last year to concentrate on their various solo projects, but return to work next month.

Selway tells Drowned In Sound: “We’ll make an assessment of where we are then. But we’ve been excited about what we’ve been doing so far – it’s been a productive time.”

Asked about the nature of the material he says: “There might be a core thing eventually, but we come at it from a number of angles. You don’t really know ultimately what’s the strongest intention until we’ve finished.”

And he won’t be drawn on a release schedule, noting: “You can find yourself six months down the line saying, ‘I wish I hadn’t said that, actually.’”

Selway feels the members’ other pursuits informs their approach to working together, even if they don’t influence the music itself. “You’re building your musicality; you’re building your musical confidence. You may be itching for some kind of musical stretches that can’t be done in Radiohead. All those things feed back into a much more positive working relationship between the five of us.”

He recently released second solo album Weatherhouse, of which he says: “That feels like it satisfied something in me. Beyond that, it connects with some people; I hope it continues doing that. I don't think of it in terms of a Radiohead scale or anything like that, but if it means something to some people then that for me is a success.”

Philip Selway tour dates
    Feb 11: London Queen Elizabeth Hall

Feb 12: Leeds Brudenell Social Club

Feb 13: Glasgow King Tut’s

Feb 14: Manchester Deaf Institute

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I like'em a lot, but I feel like they've thoroughly exhausted the direction they took starting with Kid A. The dystopian whining over assorted Aphex Twin/Autechre inspired bleeps and blips sound is kind of old hat at this point. I'd like to hear them embrace a more organic band based sound with less of the digital cut/paste/snippy snip.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I didn't love King of Limbs, but the subsequent Live from the Basement renditions of the songs were gorgeous, especially with the dual drummers (including the guy from Portishead on electronics).

I'll be happy to hear whatever they've got planned.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I didn't love King of Limbs, but the subsequent Live from the Basement renditions of the songs were gorgeous, especially with the dual drummers (including the guy from Portishead on electronics).

I have really high hopes for this thread.

// Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I like'em a lot, but I feel like they've thoroughly exhausted the direction they took starting with Kid A. The dystopian whining over assorted Aphex Twin/Autechre inspired bleeps and blips sound is kind of old hat at this point. I'd like to hear them embrace a more organic band based sound with less of the digital cut/paste/snippy snip.
    Nailed it. i feel the same way about them as i do Bjork; what happened to decent melodies, groove, and the solidity of this group?

they moved on and made music they liked perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    they moved on and made music they liked perhaps?
    Dude...stop talking CRAZY

It kind of slipped past semi-unnoticed, but Yorke had a new solo LP out late last year, Tomorrow's Modern Boxes. Pretty good stuff, overall it connected with me better than Eraser did. LP came in a sweet anti-static bag.

Music aside, I've always dug their artwork approach...from the secret booklet in Kid A to the deluxe package for King of Limbs.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

Pretty much how I feel about them. I got on board with Ok Computer and like everything they've done since then. I'd certainly be more interested if they freshen up the sound whatever direction it went it. The Live From The Basement stuff was excellent and fortunately it comes round pretty regularly on Palladia so I often rewatch it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Suspended
    I steered clear of them for years on the strength of that abysmal song Creep, which seems to be the only Radiohead song that radio stations here are aware of.

By chance I then heard High and Dry, and thought "That's not bad", which led me to investigate further and to acquire The Bends and OK Computer. Those two get a fair bit of airplay at Chateau Bob.

I didn't much like the direction they took with Kid A. Later on Triple-J played Hail to the Thief in its entirety, and the only song I like was "There There."

I heard In Rainbows and remember thinking some of it was quite nice, but i think by that time I was over them as a new listening experience.

King Of Limbs was a brilliant mess! I actually liked that one more than In Rainbows or Hail To The Thief. Fact is, I like all their albums and am very happy the Prog community has embraced them so whole-heartedly.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    King Of Limbs was a brilliant mess! I actually liked that one more than In Rainbows or Hail To The Thief. Fact is, I like all their albums and am very happy the Prog community has embraced them so whole-heartedly.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong...I don't hate King of Limbs by any stretch. It's got some killer songs. But the renditions on "Basement" are amazing...still complex and electronic, but with an added organic layer that I don't hear on the studio album.

"Reckoner" from Rainbows has an outtro that puts a lump in my throat every time. It isn't their most sophisticated moment but it is a simple progression rendered beautifully. Same thing for "Pyramid Song" from Amnesiac. I think that's part of what I love about Radiohead...they definitely went experimental with/after Kid A, but it isn't like they morphed into Crumb or Merzbow...they still create some incredible and lovely melodies and tunes as they continue to experiment and push their creative envelope. Even when I'm not in love with the outcome, I still really appreciate that spirit.

I lost 'em at Kid A and got somewhat back on board with In Rainbows. Just mildly interested in new material. Were't they the pioneers of "pay what you want" for In Rainbows?

Band was very interesting around the turn of the century but became a techno gimmick. If I'm gonna listen to stuff like that. I'll go for Saint Germaine Cafe remix albums.

Of course, anyone who grew up listening to progressive music/Canterbury/Kraut- RIO could definitely appreciate their best albums without recognizing it as revolutionary or something along those terms .

I don't know much about this band, but Kid A is a freakin' masterpiece!

I like their Bends/OKC phase as well as the later stuff, but I do find it odd that they said that they made Kid A because they wanted to be something new and not get stale, yet then they more or less stayed in a style related to this sound for the next dozen years and five albums. I guess they just like it more?

I had thought that the band would be done with King of Limbs, as it was reported at the time that it was more of a Thom Yorke solo album than a group effort, but I guess if they're working on a new one that they are soldiering on together.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I don't know much about this band, but Kid A is a freakin' masterpiece!
    That's my "desert island pick" of their catalogue, as well.
    The last time I heard such an incredible liquid-sex bass groove like "The National Anthem" was in the funk section of Pink Floyd's "Echoes" - another absolute masterpiece, in my book.

Here's the thing - some mainstream prog material seems to now be about how many spaces can be filled with notes. And I never subscribed to that theory, even when Dream Theater somehow became THE new prog darlings. Even in my new modern progrock band, Radiohead/CAN/Pink Floyd are major influences in my phrasing/playing. Taking note clusters/chords and "Dali-izing" them. Stretching them. Distorting them. Like these three bands once did. Or luckily, still do.

Virtuosity is great - but can you hum that sweep guitar solo, for days afterward?

Radiohead is one of the few bands that I will always lend an ear to.
    Because they've just proven it, again, and again, and again.
    And maybe it's their lack of musical training (Only Jonny is, if I recall correctly) but their music just strikes a chord with my soul - and many other famous "trained" bands simply do not.

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    That's my "desert island pick" of their catalogue, as well.
    The last time I heard such an incredible liquid-sex bass groove like "The National Anthem" was in the funk section of Pink Floyd's "Echoes" - another absolute masterpiece, in my book.

Here's the thing - some mainstream prog material seems to now be about how many spaces can be filled with notes. And I never subscribed to that theory, even when Dream Theater somehow became THE new prog darlings. Even in my new modern progrock band, Radiohead/CAN/Pink Floyd are major influences in my phrasing/playing. Taking note clusters/chords and "Dali-izing" them. Stretching them. Distorting them. Like these three bands once did. Or luckily, still do.

Virtuosity is great - but can you hum that sweep guitar solo, for days afterward?

Radiohead is one of the few bands that I will always lend an ear to.
    Because they've just proven it, again, and again, and again.
    And maybe it's their lack of musical training (Only Jonny is, if I recall correctly) but their music just strikes a chord with my soul - and many other famous "trained" bands simply do not.
    Yeah. What he said.

"I'm not here, this isn't happening ... " - chilling, genius.

Love Radiohead and was on a big kick a while back... In the end my opinion is that only In Rainbows and Kid A were satisfying me as full and complete good albums. I found that the rest were hit and miss with 2-4 great songs on each, and many I chose to skip right over... Great when great... Lacking in places. Cant have everything. I will say this though, I own every studio album they ever produced. I think pretty highly of them overall.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 02-06-2015 at 07:12 PM.
    Still alive and well...

My hipster brother-in-law got me to listen to them more when all I had heard was Creep...gosh I do not like that song.
    I pretty much like most of their output since OK-Computer, I love 'Lucky'.
    Never got much of a connect with Hail to the Thief, may just have been my mood.
    I have wanted to see them live, they seem to be pretty much Arena Rock as far as the venues they play around here.
    Probably not gonna happen soon.
    Saw one of their performances on Austin City Limits and was not very impressed. They tried to keep Austin weird and perhaps it worked.

As an aside, the album Plastic Mutations is a good bunch or covers.
    Vernon Reid's cover of National Anthem is pretty awesome, although Herd of Instinct did a really good job of it at Progday 2013 too.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I was another that was initially put off by "Creep", but later came to appreciate them. I still love "Ok Computer" and like the albums after it. I did find "King Of Limbs" difficult to get into. I don't hate it, but don't pull it out for a listen very often either.

I am a big fan of them...and one of the things that I really enjoy is how they are constantly changing and moving things around.

If you look at their releases thruout their career there is constant change and a curiosity that I find really inspiring.

Pablo Honey to Bends - Huge leap

Bends to OK Computer - Huge leap

Ok Computer to Kid A - Huge leap

and it goes on and on.

Also as soon as you think they are doing one thing. They stop doing that and do something different.

Not many people who heard Pablo Honey would think that the band on Kid A or King of Limbs were the same band.

Its almost like Invisible touch and the lamb lies down on broadway....but....good.

// Mattias

I am a big fan of them...and one of the things that I really enjoy is how they are constantly changing and moving things around.

If you look at their releases thruout their career there is constant change and a curiosity that I find really inspiring.

Pablo Honey to Bends - Huge leap

Bends to OK Computer - Huge leap

Ok Computer to Kid A - Huge leap

and it goes on and on.

Also as soon as you think they are doing one thing. They stop doing that and do something different.

Not many people who heard Pablo Honey would think that the band on Kid A or King of Limbs were the same band.

Its almost like Invisible touch and the lamb lies down on broadway....but....good.

// Mattias
    i don't find anything post Hail to be huge leaps by any stretch.

Suspended
    I'm listening to The Bends as I type.

I got into Radiohead via recommendations on the Porcupine Tree forum. Partly because of that, whenever I listen to Radiohead I think of them as kind of a Porcupine Tree Lite. Lots of Radiohead songs could have been PT songs, but they don't have the same depth and variety as PT. Still I can understand why their fan bases would overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I'm listening to The Bends as I type.

I got into Radiohead via recommendations on the Porcupine Tree forum. Partly because of that, whenever I listen to Radiohead I think of them as kind of a Porcupine Tree Lite. Lots of Radiohead songs could have been PT songs, but they don't have the same depth and variety as PT. Still I can understand why their fan bases would overlap.
    Radiohead was once a pretty huge influence on PT, so that's probably why they come up in a PT forum.