Thread: Prog History Month Art Bar Wednesdays in St. Louis

Prog History Month Art Bar Wednesdays in St. Louis

The first week of "Prog History Month Art Bar Wednesdays" happened in St. Louis last night. Rhea Frankel and I had planned to go but couldn't make it. Here is the description of the event:

"Sure, sure, you can go see great live music every night of the week, but how many times do you get the chance to sit & drink in a bar while some guy plays records? Well, come to the Art Bar every Wednesday night in February & live the dream...the Prog Rock Dream! Experience DJ Matt Harnish spinning the fewest number of records that have ever been spun at a DJ night! ... Girls allowed, but not really expected..."

"The crimson king is sitting in his neu starcastle waiting for gentle giants to focus on his soft machines playing the elp's to warm the spirit of the triumvirate of tangerine dreamers sitting here waiting to harvest their Barclay James' before the hawkwind splits the ends and all we will end up with is ashes of wishbones and our harems will have no proculs to heep on Uriah when he hits his gong. It will be the dregs of dixies with no gryphons to fly the curved air by our wigwams. And Ken Hensley too!"

https://www.facebook.com/events/6009...4548/?source=1

And here is the interesting set list for week one:

Electric Light Orchestra-Fire On High
    Starcastle-Fountains
    Gong-Zero The Hero & The Witch's Spell
    JD Blackfoot-The Ultimate Prophecy (including The Ultimate Prophecy, Death's Finale, Cycles, Waiting To Be Born, Pink Sun)
    Soft Machine-Rivmic Melodies-Pt I (including Pataphysical Introduction-Pt I, A Concise British Alphabet-Pt I, Hibou Anemone & Bear, A Concise British Alphabet-Pt II, Hulloder, Dada Was Here)
    Pink Floyd-Let There Be More Light
    Nektar-That's Life
    Judas Priest-Victim Of Changes
    Kansas-Helplessly Human
    King Crimson-In The Court Of The Crimson King
    Jethro Tull-Look Into The Sun
    Grand Funk Railroad-I Can Feel Him In The Morning
    Sweet-Love Is Like Oxygen
    Genesis-The Battle Of Epping Forest
    Carpenters-Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
    Yes-Arriving UFO
    Joe Byrd & The Field Hippies-Kalyani/You Can't Ever Come Down
    Terry Riley-Poppy Nogood & The Phantom Band
    Minutemen-Double Nickels On The Dime, Side I (including Anxious Mo-Fo, Theatre Is The Life Of You, Viet Nam, Cohesion, It's Expected I'm Gone, #1 Hit Song, Two Heads At The End, Do You Want New Wave Or Do You Want The Truth?, Don't Look Now, Shit From An Old Notebook, Nature Without Man, One Reporter's Opinion)

There was a bar not too far from where I used to live that had Floyd Fridays. At first I thought it was going to be a band but it turned out to be the owner of a brewery who played PF albums. Floyd has mass appeal so I suppose he could get away with it. If it was more obscure prog it would have a much more niche audience. Then again most people just go to bars to drink and play pool it seems.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I had good intentions of going to that, between the crap weather and late start time i thought it would be a little hard to pull off and be up at 6am the next morning. The prospect of cheap Stag beer might pull me in next week, someone needs to hip this guy to the Italians.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    And here is the interesting set list for week one:
    JD Blackfoot-The Ultimate Prophecy (including The Ultimate Prophecy, Death's Finale, Cycles, Waiting To Be Born, Pink Sun)
    Carpenters-Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
    Grew up in St. Louis and fell in love with K-SHE Klassics. Cool that they played Ultimate Prophecy and the Carpenters version of Calling Occupants. If possible, please post the other setlists. Living here in Cincinnati, prog is about as foreign as a reliable football team.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I had good intentions of going to that, between the crap weather and late start time i thought it would be a little hard to pull off and be up at 6am the next morning. The prospect of cheap Stag beer might pull me in next week, someone needs to hip this guy to the Italians.
    with the hours I work, don't think I'd drive 2 hours up there to drink and listen to a dj late on a Wednesday night. I can do that at home. I do like his effort and enthusiasm though but yeah, you're right. he might appreciate a conversation with another about some great prog he might not be familiar with. what do we really know though? he might teach us a thing or two.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Grew up in St. Louis and fell in love with K-SHE Klassics. Cool that they played Ultimate Prophecy and the Carpenters version of Calling Occupants. If possible, please post the other setlists. Living here in Cincinnati, prog is about as foreign as a reliable football team.
    mmmm....KSHE. far from what it used to be though. still love Sweet Meat!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    mmmm....KSHE. far from what it used to be though. still love Sweet Meat!
    I can't imagine any radio station from the 70s is what it used to be.

Does he overlay the prog with phat beatz?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Matt Hamish, The Wing King!

I started looking at his Facebook photos. Some crazy stuff.

I love this idea, and those drink specials! ($2 Stag pints & $2 shots of Ol' Crow). Order in some wings and you're all set.

I'd be there in a heartbeat if I lived nearby. Might tell my brother-in- law who lives in St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Matt Hamish, The Wing King!

I started looking at his Facebook photos. Some crazy stuff.

I love this idea, and those drink specials! ($2 Stag pints & $2 shots of Ol' Crow). Order in some wings and you're all set.

I'd be there in a heartbeat if I lived nearby. Might tell my brother-in- law who lives in St. Louis.
    it's been a few years since I've been through this particular neighborhood the Art Bar is located in. I recall a fair number of antique shops, coffee shops and other unique odd and end places. most notably, there seemed to be quite a few Mexican establishments. restaurants, groceries and bakeries. several people said it was one of the best areas in St. Louis to get Authentic Mexican cuisine. I can't vouch for that claim though. 2720 Cherokee (Performing Arts Center) is located maybe 2 buildings away from the OPs Art Bar on Cherokee. it's quite a unique place there too. it doesn't go by Performing Arts Center, simply just 2720 Cherokee which is the street address of course. The Aristocrats played there on their last tour. it's one of those places you have to watch the calendar of events real close or you can easily miss something great. they regularly have live music covering the whole spectrum. ranging from Grateful Dead nights to Wub Wub Wub and everything in between with many DJ nights too. lots of Star Wars decor and memorabilia. there's an upstairs gallery with some surprisingly good work from local artists on display which often finds its way to the ever changing walls below. someone once equated the art to taking a Rorschach test while tripping on acid which is actually a pretty accurate description. been there for art shows and it was always a lot of fun and really weird at the same time. still pissed I missed The Aristocrats though. a slight drawback is the lack of seating. another drawback is the neighborhood itself. they've been trying to revitalize this area for quite some time but it hasn't gotten far beyond Cherokee Street. other than the 12 or so blocks the galleries, shops and restaurants take up, it isn't very wise to stroll a block or two over in any direction, especially at night. the Anheuser-Busch Brewery is about a mile east as the crow flies.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

2720 Cherokee also played host to Goblin on their last US Tour.