Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beethoven - Symphony No: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    The 7th is the best of the bunch, IMO
    Best melody for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    The 7th is my favorite. The first movement is almost a symphony on its own.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    When will the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix be available along with an extra CD of outtakes?
    Do you like surround sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Its funny - I listen to a lot of classical music, but neither Mozart nor Beethoven got to me.
    Its an eternal discussion with some of my friends, and I have tried so many times. I think its generally boring.
    I can recognize the quality, and even se why it was groundbreaking - but...

I know its me...
    Ground breaking is the key, you're right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Like, *none* of it? They were both very prolific and had different styles. I don't love Mozart's symphonies, for example (though hearing them on period instruments did add some interest), or his solo piano work (except for the Gould renditions, which twist and distort them sometimes almost beyond recognition) but I do find a lot of his chamber music to be very interesting. I don't know how anybody who likes classical music can be unmoved by all of the many forms that Beethoven excelled in. Do you dislike the classical era in general? I'd find it hard to believe that someone could dislike Beethoven and Mozart but really be into, say Haydn or Schubert - and those four would take care of the large majority of classical-era non-opera classical music that people still care about today.
    Maybe he prefers the melodies of the Russian composers?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ I don't think its weird at all. I also listen to a ton a classical but haven't voluntarily spun Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Mendelssohn, etc etc since I can remember. I love the medieval, renaissance, and baroque eras (especially Bach) but then don't truly get interested again until the high romantic, and even then I "skip" a few composers such as Brahms, Dvorak. etc. That doesn't mean these guys aren't utter geniuses and wrote incredible music - it just means it doesn't interest me. Zappa felt the same way - he didn't get interested until the 20th century - and that completely valid.
    Dvorak's New World is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I too can *appreciate* pre-late 19th century stuff but the sky doesn't crack open and start revealing the kind of funny vistas, strange colours and ecstatic vibrations I want from music until Debussy comes along.
    99%

The leftover 1% bestowes on Berlioz. But the French impressionists constitute the gateway for me.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I got two words for ya....

LOUIS SPOHR

I wouldn't sayI 'dislike' it, and there are bits and pieces that I enjoy moderately, some more, like like Mozarts requiem, and som of his pianostuff.
    Beethoven has some spectacular pianoworks, but somehow it doesnt speak much to me (give me Satie, Debussy & Ravel) - and you are right, Haydn or Schubert arent my favorites either. Of the older stuff I love Bach (as an example).
    But thats one of the funny things about music, taste isnt quite logical.
    Well, then your statements settle it: you do not like classical-era music. Fair enough, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by member View Post
    Maybe he prefers the melodies of the Russian composers?
    Who were the classical-era Russian composers of any great consequence?
    Last edited by Facelift; 02-06-2015 at 08:51 AM.

I think maybe Beethoven & Mozart are (in my ears) suffering from some sort of fatigue, because their harmonies, lines, and way of composing have been over-used by later composers in this and the last century, in pop, rock, prog, etc. (Not Beethoven & Mozart's fault)
    I like surprises, and turn-upside-down-arounds - painting landscapes, or a meditative component (Bach) and this is not the stringhts of B & M (in my ears).
    Just now listening to Sergei Rachmaninoff - The Bells. Op. 35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mAUVCFpNa8
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 02-06-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Another vote for 6th Symphony (pastoral)

I think maybe Beethoven & Mozart are (in my ears) suffering from some sort of fatigue, because their harmonies, lines, and way of composing have been over-used by later composers in this and the last century, in pop, rock, prog, etc. (Not Beethoven & Mozart's fault)
    I like surprises, and turn-upside-down-arounds - painting landscapes, or a meditative component (Bach) and this is not the stringhts of B & M (in my ears).
    Just now listening to Sergei Rachmaninoff - The Bells. Op. 35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mAUVCFpNa8
    Right - so you aren't as into classical-era music. For the most part, I like the 20th-century stuff more than the classical-era, too.

I'd want some profoundly progressive band to come around who base their entire expression on impressions from Gluck exclusively.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    I got two words for ya....

LOUIS SPOHR
    Isn't this the chinrest guy?

I think I heard this cat years ago and it sounded like Beethoven Junior. Is he really worth exploring? How about this way: is he worth exploring if you are not a huge fan of late classicism/early romanticism?

Quote Originally Posted by member View Post
    Dvorak's New World is essential.
    Agreed! Saw the CSO perform it recently, and the week before that I saw the state orchestra of China do his No. 8

Both tremendous performances!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Agreed! Saw the CSO perform it recently, and the week before that I saw the state orchestra of China do his No. 8

Both tremendous performances!

best
    Michael
    Glad you saw that man. I don't remember hearing your impressions but now we know you dug that! Now you have to make it your business to see Mahler 2 and 3, and maybe even Mahler 9. Seriously.

Ah! I often played this one while going to sleep as a child. Brings back memories!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Glad you saw that man. I don't remember hearing your impressions but now we know you dug that! Now you have to make it your business to see Mahler 2 and 3, and maybe even Mahler 9. Seriously.
    3?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    3?
    Correct - that is not a typo. What person WOULDN'T want to experience this final movement live in a proper concert hall? (the other 5 movements don't exactly suck, either).

chalkpie

Follow the links to part 2-4

Walt Disney Concert Hall - Los Angeles
    March 1 - Beethoven Symphony 7
    March 5-8 Mahler Symphony 6
    March 12 - Dvorak Symphony 9

The only problem is the increased prices for this year.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Walt Disney Concert Hall - Los Angeles
    March 1 - Beethoven Symphony 7
    March 5-8 Mahler Symphony 6
    March 12 - Dvorak Symphony 9

The only problem is the increased prices for this year.
    If you haven't seen M6 live - DO IT! Just cross your fingers they program the andante second and the scherzo third

Frankie...I've got the Mahler blu-ray box set with Abbado conducting the Lucerne Orchestra and, so far I've only made it through 1 disc (over 3 hours!!) of #1 and #2. Amazing on both...both sound and vision are extremely high quality. I'm just finding it difficult to find more time to check out the rest. When work slows down hopefully!!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap