Thread: Nico & Tangerine Dream

Nico & Tangerine Dream

A friend of mine told me about a bootleg of Nico with Tangerine Dream recorded at Reims Cathedral in 1974. But to me it sounded familiar like it was officially released at some point. So my PE friends, was it officially released either as one CD or part of some box set? As you may know TD has a very extensive discography and its hard to figure out.

Thanks,

Bob

It has shown up on various boots, and is part of the Tangerine Tree (so, not officially released...but the TT should be available for free). More info:

http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/1974-12-13.htm

And the music:

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I've never heard Nico's set (she didn't actually sing with TD, she just opened for them), but I've had the TD set since the mid 90's (first on cassette, then later the Tangerine Tree version, onto which I affixed a Klaus Schulze track from 1979 as filler). Great, great performance.

Ricochet was recorded at the Reims concert and there is a French official documentary about the concert released on DVD. It's called Reims 1974 Rock goes to the cathedral. It's about 60 minutes, half about the preparation half about the concert itself. Even so it was filmed by French TV, in the DVD appear only 10 minutes of actual concert footage, one Nico song and the rest TD, mainly close ups and strangely no shots from the athmosphere in the cathedral, which was crammed. The documentary is interesting so (French without subtitles) presneting interviews with Assaad Debs a famous French concert promoter who organized also the first Henry Cow concerts in France, Richard Branson, Tim Blake and others.
    81Wd7-vszPL._SL1500_.jpg
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Ricochet was recorded at the Reims concert
    No it wasn't. Ricochet was recorded in the autumn of 75 (nearly a year after the Reims Cathedral concert). Some of the material on Ricochet is known to have come from a show at the Fairfield Hall in Croydon, UK in October '75, but they did a lot of overdubbing in the studio.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Voices in the Net says that Richochet was "mixed from tapes of their French and British tours". There was a 1975 Reims show; perhaps Ricochet contains portions of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Voices in the Net says that Richochet was "mixed from tapes of their French and British tours". There was a 1975 Reims show; perhaps Ricochet contains portions of that?
    Well, which Reims show are we talking about, then? I had the understanding we were discussing the Reims Cathedral concert, which was in December of 74.

The Reims Opera House concert was recorded and was included in the Tangerine Leaves project, so I would think we would know whether anything from that show was used on Ricochet. At least according to Wikipedia, only some of the stuff from the Croydon show has been positively identified as having made it onto Ricochet.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    alucard claimed Ricochet was recorded at Reims 74. I pointed out that there was another Reims show the following year that might have been a Ricochet source, given what VitN says.