Thread: New Steve Howe 33-track Anthology!

New Steve Howe 33-track Anthology!

Yes and Asia guitarist’s 33-track Anthology out next month ahead of UK tour
    Yes and former Asia guitarist Steve Howe has curated a 33-track compilation entitled simply Anthology, which is to be released on March 10.

The 2CD set contains material recorded between 1975 and 2011, and it’s launched ahead of a 12-date UK tour.

Rhino Records say: “Anthology maps his musical journey across 36 years, 16 albums and countless genres.

“It provides an enlightening showcase for Howe’s six-string prowess on songs like Pennants, The Collector, Maiden Voyage – one of many featuring his son Dylan on drums – and King’s Ransom from his 2011 album Time. The collection also includes covers of two Bob Dylan songs, several cuts from Motif.

“In addition to selections from his studio albums, it also includes tracks from a pair of compilation albums: Sharp On Attack from 1988’s Guitar Speak, and flamenco-flavored Mood For A Day, one of Howe’s signature songs with Yes. The version included here is taken from the 1993 album Symphonic Music of Yes.”

Howe tours the UK in April:

Apr 01: Buxton Opera House

Apr 02: Selby Town Hall

Apr 07: Milton Keynes Stables

Apr 09: Croydon Arnhem Gallery

Apr 10: Farnham St John’s Church

Apr 14: Manchester Gorilla

Apr 15: Halton The Brindley

Apr 16: Bilston Robin 2

Apr 18: St Donats Arts Centre

Apr 19: London Jazz Cafe

Apr 24: Sudbury Quay Theatre

Apr 25: Bristol Colston Hall

Anthology tracklist
    Disc 1
    So Bad

Lost Symphony

Pleasure Stole The Night

Pennants

Look Over Your Shoulder

Surface Tension

Sensitive Chaos

Running The Human Race

Desire Comes First

Luck Of The Draw

Maiden Voyage

Walk Don't Run

Momenta

The Collector

Just Like A Woman

Buckets of Rain
    Disc 2
    Distant Seas

Curls & Swirls

Meridan Strings

Simplication

Rising Sun

Westwinds

Ultra Definition

Ebb And Flow

Dorothy

Sketches In The Sun

Diary Of A Man Who Vanished

Devon Blue

King’s Ransom

Bachians Brasileiras No. 5 (Aria)

Beginnings

Mood For A Day - with The English Chamber Orchestra

Sharp On Attack
    SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Of course, it's missing his imo best solo album tracks:

"The Nature of the Sea"
    "All's a Chord"
    "Doors of Sleep"
    "From A Place Where Time Runs Slow"

So, who's handling the vocals on this tour?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Does anyone know when Mood for the Day was recorded with the orchestra. Don't think that has been released before?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Does anyone know when Mood for the Day was recorded with the orchestra. Don't think that has been released before?
    From your own post:

Mood For A Day, one of Howe’s signature songs with Yes. The version included here is taken from the 1993 album Symphonic Music of Yes.”

Hope he brings this over to the U.S. I'd love to see a solo Howe show.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, who's handling the vocals on this tour?
    It's a solo tour: Steve will be unaccompanied. The set will be largely instrumental, but if there's any singing, it will be Steve doing it.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Of course, it's missing his imo best solo album tracks:

"The Nature of the Sea"
    "All's a Chord"
    "Doors of Sleep"
    "From A Place Where Time Runs Slow"
    Well two of those I would say are among his 3 or 4 best too, 'The Nature of the Sea' and 'All's a Chord'. Why he would leave those off makes no sense to me. But I'm pleased to see 'Maiden Voyage' on there that I like just as well. And 'Running The Human Race' is another great. But shoot if he's doing vocal stuff and 'Lost symphony' is on there, why not 'Australia', which has some killer instrumental moments and guitar sounds, or 'Beautiful Ideas'?

Although I must admit I have always had a real soft spot for 'Pleasure Stole The Night', just a lovely little ditty with a beautiful message.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The set will be largely instrumental, but if there's any singing, it will be Steve doing it.

Henry
    Maybe now is a good time to post my essay on the virtues of lip synching performances...

Gonna pass. Needed better songs and more unreleased GEMS.

I'd buy it immediately if 'Nature of the Sea' and 'Alls a Chord' were on it. 'Maiden Voyage' I already have on cd, same with 'Running The Human Race'. I've been meaning to make my own Steve Howe Anthology anyway. Think I'll just go to Amazon and download the gems I don't have. (which oddly enough are pretty much the first two albums)

Oh, there are some unreleased tracks on here aren't there? Hmmm....

I've got a ticket for a gig not on the above list. April 28th at The Haymarket, Basingstoke. So make that a 13 date tour.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    [Steve's new cover]
    That's a nice one from RD. He always gives Steve his best work.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

This was on Symphonic Music Of Yes back in 91 or 92

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Maybe now is a good time to post my essay on the virtues of lip synching performances...
    I am not suggesting by any means that Steve has an angelic voice and he himself says his albums have singing by him that would have been better left unsung, but I have to say I've always enjoyed listening to his singing on his solo albums, from the Beginnings (e.g Break Away From It All) to later stuff on In The Grand Scheme Of Things (e.g. At The Gates of the New World). To anyone not familiar with these tracks from Steve's solo work I strongly recommend you check them out on youtube.

As for the Anthology, as I have all his albums so unless it had rarities I'd not be buying it, especially as his "UK" tour doesn't make it to Scotland (again).

This tour will kick you in the head!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    I am not suggesting by any means that Steve has an angelic voice and he himself says his albums have singing by him that would have been better left unsung, but I have to say I've always enjoyed listening to his singing on his solo albums, from the Beginnings (e.g Break Away From It All) to later stuff on In The Grand Scheme Of Things (e.g. At The Gates of the New World). To anyone not familiar with these tracks from Steve's solo work I strongly recommend you check them out on youtube.

As for the Anthology, as I have all his albums so unless it had rarities I'd not be buying it, especially as his "UK" tour doesn't make it to Scotland (again).
    Yeah, I like Steve in certain songs, but not so much in others. I do him in 'Beautiful ideas' from 'Grand Scheme...', and 'Pleasure Stole The Night' his voice has a certain charm. Although I love the song 'Australia', I'm on the fence about his voice in it. Things like 'Blinded By Science' and some of the more rock songs on 'Scheme', I don't like at all. If he could just sing one or two songs on an album that would be ideal (This only happened effectively on 'The Steve Howe Album') Still, I quite enjoy 'Beginnings' pretty much throughout, but I'm sure glad there are 3 instrumentals on it

especially as his "UK" tour doesn't make it to Scotland (again).
    You appear to be blaming the artist for that. I suspect that Howe, like most musicians, will tour anywhere that will have him, but venues/promoters north of the border aren't interested. Blame your fellow Scots, not Howe!

Henry

You appear to be blaming the artist for that. I suspect that Howe, like most musicians, will tour anywhere that will have him, but venues/promoters north of the border aren't interested. Blame your fellow Scots, not Howe!

Henry
    I'm certainly not blaming Steve. His previous Scottish shows have always been well attended and received. A Renfrew Ferry gig I was at even got a mention by him in a Yes Magazine article many moons ago. I had the good fortune to chat to Rick Wakeman about this once and said how surprised I was he didn't do any Scottish shows on his Out There tour. He agreed and said he couldn't get a promoter interested for Scottish shows despite having sold out his last Scottish show before that at the Perth Halls (which I was also at). So I do have some understanding of the process. My dream after a lottery win would be to set up as a concert promoter and bring all these great bands out of London to Scotland and not have to worry about making a profit myself. Not interested in yachts or ferraris.

I'm certainly not blaming Steve. His previous Scottish shows have always been well attended and received. A Renfrew Ferry gig I was at even got a mention by him in a Yes Magazine article many moons ago. I had the good fortune to chat to Rick Wakeman about this once and said how surprised I was he didn't do any Scottish shows on his Out There tour. He agreed and said he couldn't get a promoter interested for Scottish shows despite having sold out his last Scottish show before that at the Perth Halls (which I was also at). So I do have some understanding of the process. My dream after a lottery win would be to set up as a concert promoter and bring all these great bands out of London to Scotland and not have to worry about making a profit myself. Not interested in yachts or ferraris.
    Fair enough and good luck with the lottery!

Henry

Henry
    That's generally true but if this is just him and a guitar it's a hell of a lot easier to play pretty much anywhere. There has to be a venue in the whole of Scotland that would book him.

Someone needs to get this on the US coffeehouse circuit....