Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magma 101

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I think Würdah Ïtah is great. Vander played the piano himself and has repeatedly admitted to his own limitations at that
    no wonder it produces ear fatigue after 15 minutes
    PLUNK PLUNK PLUNK PLUNK PLUNK is the general feel of that one.

now, Kontarkosz and Udu Wudu... *there* is something interesting
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

chalkpie
    I love the Wurdah Itah piano. Please surrender your Magma card immediately, sir.

Here you all go, something you have probably not seen before. A little bit of Theusz Hamtaahk, and a version of KMX B12 you have not seen. Enjoy.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I would third (or fourth, or whatever, I've lost count) the Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie.

I can now say that I am completely overwhelmed with Magma CD suggestions!!! It is just not realistic to narrow down the list you guys have created for me, is it?

Library Jon

I just bought my first Magma album (MDK)...awesome!
    <sig out of order>

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I just bought my first Magma album (MDK)...awesome!
    WTF?!

First?

But not last.
    <sig out of order>

chalkpie
    ^ Good man! If you can dig MDK, the skies the limit

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I think Würdah Ïtah is great. Vander played the piano himself and has repeatedly admitted to his own limitations at that, but the fact remains that he still executes the job just fine. Most (not all) voicings in Magma's music apparently originated in near-static notations for piano anyway, check Mekanïk Kommandöh (the initial version/recording of MDK).
    WI is nice for a different taste of Magma. I can’t remember the exact lineup, but I believe it was just Vander on piano, drums and vocals, and one of his cohorts on bass along with Stella and Klaus and maybe one other vocalist. Magma stripped to the bare essentials. Sure, Vander is no Faton or Benoit Widemann or whatever, but I like his piano playing fine.

MK is all right for a listen or two, but I much prefer the fully arranged version on MDK. That piece just sounds better fleshed out.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    WI is nice for a different taste of Magma. I can’t remember the exact lineup, but I believe it was just Vander on piano, drums and vocals, and one of his cohorts on bass along with Stella and Klaus and maybe one other vocalist.
    It's Christian, Stella, Klaus, and Jannick.

Haven't heard Wurdah in awhile - should dig it out again soon. Oddly Slag sort of reminds me of it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ Good man! If you can dig MDK, the skies the limit
    That's good to know. I didn't find it particularly difficult to appreciate as far as the actual music (quite the opposite!) but I could understand if some found the vocals off-putting at times.

I found plenty to like. My initial take on this album is that everything is so rhythmically driven. The vocal stuff almost seems to exist merely (or perhaps I should say "mostly") to support rhythmic variations and syncopations. Which is what I love about it - it just goes and goes and morphs and goes and continues along it's hypnotic rhythmic pulse. Which can be a boring proposition, but this music has so much variation it never gets boring and tension is built so masterfully...it's fantastic.

Can anyone explain the Coltrane connection? I admit to (also) being Coltrane ignorant. I have Giant Steps, but probably only listened to it once a couple years ago. What specific aspects of Coltrane's music should I expect to find in Magma?
    <sig out of order>

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Yeah, that rolling rhythm of MDK is amazing.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    That's good to know. I didn't find it particularly difficult to appreciate as far as the actual music (quite the opposite!) but I could understand if some found the vocals off-putting at times.

I found plenty to like. My initial take on this album is that everything is so rhythmically driven. The vocal stuff almost seems to exist merely (or perhaps I should say "mostly") to support rhythmic variations and syncopations. Which is what I love about it - it just goes and goes and morphs and goes and continues along it's hypnotic rhythmic pulse. Which can be a boring proposition, but this music has so much variation it never gets boring and tension is built so masterfully...it's fantastic.

Can anyone explain the Coltrane connection? I admit to (also) being Coltrane ignorant. I have Giant Steps, but probably only listened to it once a couple years ago. What specific aspects of Coltrane's music should I expect to find in Magma?
    Yeah the Coltrane connection is rather difficult to hear at first, but after awhile it kind of starts to make sense. I believe I read somewhere that Vander said that both his and Coltrane's music create some form of "obsessional dance", which can definitely be seen in MDK where the constant, relentless rhythm really pushes the music forward. With Coltrane, I find it most obvious to see this in his "My Favorite Things" album. In fact the opening chords to "Summertime" sound rather Magma-y to me.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    Yeah the Coltrane connection is rather difficult to hear at first, but after awhile it kind of starts to make sense. I believe I read somewhere that Vander said that both his and Coltrane's music create some form of "obsessional dance", which can definitely be seen in MDK where the constant, relentless rhythm really pushes the music forward. With Coltrane, I find it most obvious to see this in his "My Favorite Things" album. In fact the opening chords to "Summertime" sound rather Magma-y to me.
    Interesting - thanks!
    <sig out of order>

Today I played Wurdah Itah again after many years. Somehow I'd forgot how gorgeous this is. This was my favorite Magma record in the past and I have probably overplayed it. Gonna listen to Les Voix tomorrow!