Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michael Rutherford - Smallcreep's Day

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Noel did some backing vocals on this one too: http://www.sniffnthetears.com/Fickle%20Heart.html
    And he did vocals with Manfred Mann's Earth Band

I have this album on vinyl. A Dutch prog-show closed with 'At the end of the day'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    And he did vocals with Manfred Mann's Earth Band

I have this album on vinyl. A Dutch prog-show closed with 'At the end of the day'.
    Well, that MMEB-info was in the quote I used for my post.

And yeah, I remember that show. Later he used Eddie Jobson's "Theme Of Secrets".

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    OOP for years...'Acting Very Strange' unavailable for even longer.
    This is a job for Esoteric! Where's that Vicky?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The 24-minute Smallcreep's Suite is a better album side than anything Genesis did after A Trick of the Tail imo.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    The 24-minute Smallcreep's Suite is a better album side than anything Genesis did after A Trick of the Tail imo.
    I tend to agree but the Duke suite runs it close!!

Although excellent, in my opinion its no 'One For The Vine'. But then, very few things are But it shows potential they never reached in later years, although CAS had some good material. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Why did Rutherford decide to sing on Acting Very Strange? Ego? Tone deaf about his own voice?
    Yet, Eddie Van Halen loved Rutherford's singing and wanted to start a band with Ruthy on lead vocals. They even jammed for awhile in LA, but Ruthy felt it was going no where and flew back to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    There are currently 140 copies of this LP (and 3 cassettes!) on Discogs, beginning around two bucks. No CD copies however.

31 LP copies (and 1 8-track!) on E-bay, and one CD for $55.00.

11 CD copies on amazon marketplace (U.S.), mostly in "VG" shape, and a couple of high-priced copies that claim to be "New".

Mike should probably re-release this in a special edition (with at least "Compression" as a bonus track), as there seems to be a market for it. Hell, Banks did it with A Curious Feeling and that sold well.
    discogs sell damaged LP's they allow the seller to grade the record by sight alone!
    Look at the neg ratings the sellers get.

I agree, just a shame about the AOR on side 2 [or 1 if you know what I mean]

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    The two sides were reversed for some reason on the US Passport version.
    I did not know that, and I used to be such a Genesis completest too!

To me, side 2 is the masterpiece of the album.

Oddly, "Compression" is available as an extra track on Anthony Phillips' recent box set Harvest of the Heart. I would've thought it would be included in the Smallcreep's Day 2007 re-release.

Love this album, it's between this and "A Curious Feeling" for top slot on the solo Genesis Hit Parade for me.

I always liked this album and still listen to it once in a while. Personally, I like the song side better than the suite, though I love the final two tracks of the suite. The first of those, "Out Into the Daylight" made me realize that it wasn't just Tony who wrote those great instrumental bits for Genesis. Among other things, this album was my introduction to Simon Phillips, who remains one of the world's greatest drummers.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    The two sides were reversed for some reason on the US Passport version.
    Indeed, when I found a CD copy I was shocked to not hear that pulsing opening and was amazed that the CD had the sides reversed but, of course, it was the vinyl that was "wrong" although for me reversed is "right".

Then when I got Acting Very Strange it was a major WTF?
    I never got rid of a record so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Elephant View Post
    I really loved it when it came out. The whole "Smallcreep" section is great and I love the beautiful ballad that it ends with. Simon Phillips on drums, Ant on keys, great singing from Noel McCalla, a lot to like here.
    Agree, nice stuff. Man, did he suck afterward
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

It changed my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Why did Rutherford decide to sing on Acting Very Strange? Ego? Tone deaf about his own voice?
    Both Acting Very Strange and the Fugitive were released after Steve Hacket did all the lead vocals on Cured in 1981. I always speculated that Mike and Tony wanted to show that they could do it too, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Tony singing on The Fugitive!
    And here I am thinking that was some childhood nightmare or something.... Have you had the nightmare too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Both Acting Very Strange and the Fugitive were released after Steve Hacket did all the lead vocals on Cured in 1981. I always speculated that Mike and Tony wanted to show that they could do it too, but who knows.
    AND after Phil Collins made his first and very successful solo album (granted, he was already a vocalist within Genesis).

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I don't know but it begat an even WORSE crime - Tony singing on The Fugitive!
    I have heard The Fugitive once, but don't have much recollection of it. Clearly it did not impress me enough to want to acquire it.

There is however one track on Still ("Hero For an Hour") on which Tony does the vocals, and while he does not come across as the world's gratest vocalist, nor did I find it unpleasant. It's one of the more poppy numbers, and his particular voice is fairly well suited to it. He might be out of his depth on a song like "Water Out of Wine" or "Another Murder of a Day".

I love The Fugitive - I like it more than A Curious Feeling - and I like Banks' voice fine. It has a charming, fragile quality.

Sure he wouldn't get much work as a session singer, but that's fine with me...

...and as for Smallcreep's Day - I'm with those who like the "suite" side and wouldn't be at all bothered if I never heard the other side again in my life.

Yeah, the "suite" side is better. I do really like "Time and Time Again", though, probably my favorite of the vocal tracks on the album-its like a way better version of "Many Too Many". Nice guitar solo! Also love the intro to "Romani", but somewhere I thought I heard Anthony Phillips wrote that.

Surprised to see so much diverse opinions on this album. It has been interesting to read.

Overnight Job was probably my favorite track. Love that extended outro with Mike strumming those gorgeous guitar chords and Ant playing those keyboard runs on top. Beautiful.