Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

On the turntable this afternoon, 180 gram [pink] special of this sensational album.

Quote Originally Posted by member View Post
    On the turntable this afternoon, 180 gram [pink] special of this sensational album.

Interesting... Any extras? Added tracks, etc?
    Still alive and well...

Oh... Ok... Pricey collectible, 500 made. http://www.rarerecords.net/store/por...nkpop-edition/
    Still alive and well...

Suspended
    It's a gimmick. As if this album needed a gimmick. it is, in my opinion, PT's masterpiece.

I always found this record one of the most overrated records of not just their catalog, but also pretty much anything progressive rock-related from the last 15 years.

On the other hand, if they ever printed Nil Recurring on Vinyl I'd buy it.

I agree about it being a masterpiece... But I love gimmicks too!
    Still alive and well...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Fear of a Pink Blanket

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I always found this record one of the most overrated records
    Agreed. Better only than The Incident.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Fear of a Pink Blanket
    Hahahaha. Gud vun!
    Its a masterpiece for the proper mood... The story is somewhat of a bringdown.
    Still alive and well...

Killer album, probably my favorite P-Tree disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Interesting... Any extras? Added tracks, etc?
    The extra is the sound quality. I have other pressings, but this one sounds the best to my ears, just a personal observation of course.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I always found this record one of the most overrated records of not just their catalog, but also pretty much anything progressive rock-related from the last 15 years.
    I always used to say in my teens that I'd move with the times.
    I've been listening to Progressive Symphonic Rock since Sgt Pepper.
    I still recognise worthy material today, even if it was made in the 2000's, I feel anyone that dismisses it is missing out, obviously you do not share that opinion and that's your choice of course.
    I would point you toward Poland however, they are having their Progressive revelation now and some stunning material is coming out of that country.

Oh... Ok... Pricey collectible, 500 made. http://www.rarerecords.net/store/por...nkpop-edition/
    I did not realise it had become so valuable but bought it on the strength of it's production, thanks for the info, but I believe I'll still play it.

I did not realise it had become so valuable but bought it on the strength of it's production, thanks for the info, but I believe I'll still play it.
    Good call.
    Still alive and well...

Just a note to everyone regarding prices.
    I buy my records for their content, but usually find the special pressing worth the extra outlay for the benefit in sound quality.
    I apologise if this has upset anyone and will stick to just titles in future.
    I am an audiophile and sometimes forget that others do not demand the very best in reproduction,
    sincerely,

I buy my records for their content, but usually find the special pressing worth the extra outlay for the benefit in sound quality.
    I am an audiophile and sometimes forget that others do not demand the very best in reproduction,
    sincerely,
    I was just trying to suss out some details about this particular release. I had not heard of it... Do enjoy it!
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Killer album, probably my favorite P-Tree disc.
    Lots of love for this one. Glad to hear it. My fav from the perennial plants with elongated stems and (presumably) covered with rodents who are, in turn, covered with sharp quills boys.

I worked backward from here.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

One of my very favorite albums of all time.

I would point you toward Poland however, they are having their Progressive revelation now and some stunning material is coming out of that country.
    Out of curiosity and for conversations sake could you make a few suggestions? I've been searching new avenues, old and new.
    Still alive and well...

Suspended
    sincerely,
    My "gimmick" comment was referring to the pink colouring, not to the sound quality. Nothing wrong with paying a bit extra for better sound quality, if that means you enjoy it more.

Being a long time PT fan, I kinda dissed this release as well compared to the rest of their output. I changed my mind when I had to dive into the material for the new PT project our band is putting together. The more I listened, the more appreciation I have for this CD. Yeah, the theme can be a bit of a downer but realistically it does have application to many peoples life journey.

Suspended
    The theme of FOABP seems to cop a lot of criticism. I'm not sure why this is, unless maybe some of the listeners feel that it's touching a few nerves?

Steven Wilson's themes of ghosts and serial killers could quite well be a "downer" for many people. Personally I don't mind - I do think he's perhaps a bit obsessed with them, but I listen primarily for the music. Steven took a bit of a chance with FOABP. I'm quite sure there were many of his long time fans who felt he was taking a bit of a dig at their lifestyle, but good on him for expressing a few ideas that he clearly considers important.

The theme of the upcoming SW album is interesting. From what I read, it's still kind of a ghost story, but also incorporating ideas that were explored in FOABP - issues totally relevant to life in the 21st century, such as loneliness and alienation in the big city. He has admitted in interviews that part of it is autobiographical. I wonder how it will be received?

It's a fine piece of modern "pseudo-progressive" rock music (except for that ridiculous closing track), pulling all the usual Willy stops and some glacier atmospheres as expected. To call it "sensational", though - where the hell is the "sensation"?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

My the favorite PT album with Lightbulb Sun.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Out of curiosity and for conversations sake could you make a few suggestions? I've been searching new avenues, old and new.
    Riverside are absolutely awesome and have not made a bad album.
    Millenium also fabulous
    Satellite
    Collage
    Abraxas
    Albion
    Amaryllis
    Quidam
    Believe
    Moon Rise
    Strawberry Fields

go; enjoy.
    Last edited by member; 02-02-2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typing error.