Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Videophile Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    LCDs are backlit by LEDs, from what I understand. The two labels are mostly considered synonymous when it comes to TVs.
    Well we need to be more specific in the future because there are TVs which have LEDs as pixels and I know that's not what is being referred to now. LED backlit LCDs were not an improvement until Sony and now LG have stated using blue light LEDs with a quantum dot filter. OLED is in a totally different class than conventional LCD/LED TVs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Firth, you need to read up on new technology.
    You have demonstrated your lack of knowledge. Read my link from Forbes.

Banned
    This article refers to the Panasonic ZT90 plasma which is not available except thru eBay. The conclusion is that without 4k source material, the Samsung UHD is not as good in the 1080p experience as the Panasonic or other TVs which at less expensive. I'm fairly convinced that the ultimate choice for 4k will be OLED, except for when one needs billboard blinding brightness levels and that will likely be LCD/LED.
    http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...65f9000-review

Well, you're the expert. Your opinion might change if you see one in person.

Banned
    I've seen the UHD and it had the same issue as all LCD pixel based TVs except the Sony Quantum Dot, colors don't look real and it doesn't look natural. You and I both need to check out 4k OLED when it shows up on the shelf later this year.

Banned
    Also, have you ever seen the Panasonic ZT90 plasma in an environment other than a store. Yes LCD competes with bright lights, but in a normally lit lving room, on non 4k material it is uncanny.

I'm not going to disagree with you. I've already said plasmas look great.

For their time.

Banned
    I'm not going to disagree with you. I've already said plasmas look great.

For their time.
    Are you going to get the Oppo 4k player when it comes out. That UHD really smokes on 4k according to that review below.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    There is no such thing as an LED TV.
    Here you go.

http://www.qvc.com/LcdLedGuide.content.html

Are you going to get the Oppo 4k player when it comes out. That UHD really smokes on 4k according to that review below.
    Love to. When the 4k content is available, which I agree with all the articles, is not now. Until then the up conversion on Blu-ray and HD will have to do. Yeah, I'd love to see some 4k content! Blu-ray blows my mind on this thing -- 4k will probably give me a heart attack.

Up until December 2014, it turns out, all Samsung UHD TVs came with a 1TB external hard drive loaded with 10 UHD movies and a bunch of documentaries.
    A: Preload content
    Movie G.I Joe: Retaliation, World War Z, Night at the Museum, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The counselor, Life of Pi, Star Trek (2009), Star Trek Into Darkness, Forrest Gump, The Book Thief
    Documentary The Last Reef, Grand Canyon Adventure, Cappadocia, Legend of Flight (soft / hard ver.), Rescue, Bear, Kinabalu Climbing, The Genet (Screener.mp4), Sojourn, Oregon, Microscape Butterflies, Phantom Fire, San Francisco Flow, Bailee Moore, Cooking For Love (1Ep.), Cooking For Love (2Ep.), Cooking For Love (4Ep.), Ryan Beatty : Hey LA, Santorini Action, Another Way, Atmosphere, Dreamline, In The Woods, Khumbu Valley, Mix, Myanma (Burma), Perspective, Puppy Race, Vancouver City 2, Dive to New World
    It goes for $350 new and about $250 on eBay and Amazon. Although there is no other 4k content available, to speak of, I don't think this collection of movies is worth two fifty. Do you?

I don't think this collection of movies is worth two fifty. Do you?
    Throw in "Desperately Seeking Susan," and maybe, just maybe.

(That's an inside joke for anyone who had premium cable in the 90s.)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The article I read said that most 4k movies presently available were down-converted from IMAX presentations, which is certainly possible for The Life of Pi, Gravity, Avatar and a few others. However most of the movies in this UHD hard drive were never IMAX were they???

Banned
    Notice that the site doesn't offer Sony. Sony LED backlit LCD TVs with Triluminous (Quantum Dot). Here's why that's the near term answer before OLED is cheap enough.
    Why quantum dots are showing up on more TVs at CES 2015

Forget 8K or a curved screen, you want nanoparticles

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/749...vs-at-ces-2015

Banned
    The article I read said that most 4k movies presently available were down-converted from IMAX presentations, which is certainly possible for The Life of Pi, Gravity, Avatar and a few others. However most of the movies in this UHD hard drive were never IMAX were they???
    Actually in many IMAX theaters, you are watching a Sony 4k projection system. Many theaters have digital projection, but not quite 4k. All movies which were shot on 35 mm film could be scanned to 4k. It's very likely that you hard drive does have 4k versions.

Here's a summary of 4k content available, as of a month ago anyway. Part of the problem is playback options -- there are several manufacturers who have come out with 4k disc players (Blu-ray appears to be the format 4k will be released in) but until there's a tipping point in people having players nobody is releasing any discs. Fearing a repeat of the Blu-ray versus HD wars perhaps.

The Samsung demo pack was released on a 1TB external hard drive.

Netflix and Amazon are making some 4k content available to stream if you have a fast internet connection (I do, and it looks amazing. Better than Blu-ray? Marginally -- I need to compare apples to apples to tell for sure.)

The 4k documentary on American Deserts (streamed via Netflix) looked amazing, but the skin tones and everyday details of just a normal show like Orange is the New Black are what really makes UHD pop. The realism is uncanny.

Banned
    Here's a summary of 4k content available, as of a month ago anyway. Part of the problem is playback options -- there are several manufacturers who have come out with 4k disc players (Blu-ray appears to be the format 4k will be released in) but until there's a tipping point in people having players nobody is releasing any discs. Fearing a repeat of the Blu-ray versus HD wars perhaps.

The Samsung demo pack was released on a 1TB external hard drive.

Netflix and Amazon are making some 4k content available to stream if you have a fast internet connection (I do, and it looks amazing. Better than Blu-ray? Marginally -- I need to compare apples to apples to tell for sure.)
    How big is your TV and what distance from it, do you view it?

How big is your TV and what distance from it, do you view it?
    Nope. Not gonna play that game with you, sorry.

Also, sorry about your reading skills.

Banned
    Nope. Not gonna play that game with you, sorry.

Also, sorry about your reading skills.
    OK, not playing a game and forgot about the 55" comment. You will be able to adjust the distance between yourself and the screen to see the difference 4k makes. I did notice that 4k material on a 4k screen, looks uncanny good close up.

New question: universal remotes.

I've had several. As my system has gotten more complex I keep outgrowing them. My most recent one is a Logitech Harmony 600 -- bottom of the line, no touch screen, no color screen, no smart phone integration -- although it is programmable via computer which is cool. Unfortunately it's limited to controlling five devices... and I have six now. Looking for advice.

The upper Logitech models get pricey real fast. Not sure I'm ready to pay $350 for a remote.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-05-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Another new question: IMAX recommendations.

Since there is so little 4k content out there, and much of what is available was down sampled from IMAX presentations, I decided to look into Blu-ray IMAX discs. There are a surprising number of them.

I already have IMAX Space Station, and IMAX Blue Planet (which comes with IMAX The Dream is Alive). I just ordered one called IMAX Super Speedway about Mario Andretti (a little more down to earth). I see there are IMAX presentations about Africa and Indonesia and Arabia and helicopters and dinosaurs and space junk and....

Anybody got any particular favorites?

Banned
    I
    Another new question: IMAX recommendations.

Since there is so little 4k content out there, and much of what is available was down sampled from IMAX presentations, I decided to look into Blu-ray IMAX discs. There are a surprising number of them.

I already have IMAX Space Station, and IMAX Blue Planet (which comes with IMAX The Dream is Alive). I just ordered one called IMAX Super Speedway about Mario Andretti (a little more down to earth). I see there are IMAX presentations about Africa and Indonesia and Arabia and helicopters and dinosaurs and space junk and....

Anybody got any particular favorites?
    What about commercial movies that were shot for IMAX, using the original 70 mm film cameras, such as Interstellar. This movie was shown in the 4k 60p format in theaters that didn't have IMAX 70 mm projectors. Don't know if it is out yet.

Banned
    I

What about commercial movies that were shot for IMAX, using the original 70 mm film cameras, such as Interstellar. This movie was shown in the 4k 60p format in theaters that didn't have IMAX 70 mm projectors. Don't know if it is out yet.
    Ok I have the release info :
    http://m.space.com/28454-interstella...ease-date.html

Banned
    Have you heard about "mastered in 4k"?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...e-a-difference