Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous annoyances thread

I used to access the Green Line at Lechmere (where the train turned around) - so it was completely empty, allowing all passengers a seat. I always used earbuds, iPod and a good book to pass the time - - - always exited at Copley (worked at Berklee above Trader Joe's) to avoid having to take a specific train after the split . . .

It was a hot summer day - and by Park street the car was packed. I was concentrating on my book, and failed to notice a fine young woman standing directly in front of me - arms up stretched holding the bars above - - - cut offs, tube top, bandana, leather jewelry - - - her crotch directly in front of my face. As I 'noticed', the car suddenly came to a screeching halt (hobo on the tracks) - - - my face thrust forward into her quim, as I dropped my book. She smiled and we both laughed - - - then I noticed the guitar strapped to her back - - - she was a student at Berklee !!! We saw each other several times at school after that - - - she called me "Green Line" - - - lol . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Enjoyed reading the commuting comments. For those of you who live in big cities, I honestly don’t know how you deal with it every day. I am very lucky to be a 10 minute drive away from my job and there is no such thing as a traffic problem in a city the size of Kalamazoo. I love visiting big cities, but every time I do I find it difficult to imagine actually living in one. Just driving to Chicago for concert (about 2 hours away from me) is always such a hassle dealing with traffic, parking, derelicts, prices it has to be someone I really want to see. I spent a summer in Manhattan back in my mid-20’s and although it was a great experience, living there full time would not be for me.
    You get used to it, but I agree that Chicago traffic is a pain. D.C. is the worst I've experienced, but Seattle isn't terrible as big cities go.

Still, I can remember my days in Kalamazoo, when negotiating Westnedge Avenue in Portage and Stadium Drive heading to WMU were my biggest traffic headaches. I miss those days!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    ...having a second conversation going on with someone in the room while trying to talk to you on the 'phone.
    Good lord I hate that! I simply can't do both conversations at once. Related to this is checking my home voicemail. It's already a pain, but then when someone else talks over the (usually inane, useless) phone message and you have to go back and repeat the (inane, useless) message...oy.

Also I hate when someone talks to you (or mumbles to be more accurate) while walking away from you. Look, my hearing already sucks, don't make it worse, don't make me say "what?" three times...and don't say "nevermind" after all that! lol...

The latest thing to drive me nuts is getting a bowl out of the cupboard to find (later) there is water in it. There's nothing worse than finding soggy chips at the bottom of the bowl.
    <sig out of order>

When i shop at my local supermarket(Key Food) it's a regular occurance that someone parks their shopping cart in the middle of the aisle while they peruse and fondle items on the shelf.Their cart blocks the aisle,no one can can get through.I say 'excuse me" and sometimes they ignore me, sometimes they look at me as if i have Ebola.What nerve i have to disturb their shopping reverie, what unmitigated gall have i to suggest they move their cart so traffic can flow up and down the aisle.Many times, when they don't respond, i move their fucking wagon so i(and others) can pass. Some folks don't like that.I've invaded their space and dared to touch "their" wagon.

Screw 'em.*

* On occasion i forget that my shopping cart is parked in the middle of the aisle,but i'm usually aware of leaving room for others to pass when i'm examining an item for nutritional info,etc.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Suspended
    People who preced a question with "Do you mind if I ask you a question?" How do I know until they ask it, so they may as well have just asked it anyway and saved both of us a minute of wasted time.

Moreover, when someone asks that prior to asking their question, it nearly always means it's a question that I will not welcome, and that they are aware of that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    People who preced a question with "Do you mind if I ask you a question?" How do I know until they ask it, so they may as well have just asked it anyway and saved both of us a minute of wasted time.

Moreover, when someone asks that prior to asking their question, it nearly always means it's a question that I will not welcome, and that they are aware of that fact.
    That question is the Vaseline of questions.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    When i shop at my local supermarket(Key Food) it's a regular occurance that someone parks their shopping cart in the middle of the aisle while they peruse and fondle items on the shelf.Their cart blocks the aisle,no one can can get through.I say 'excuse me" and sometimes they ignore me, sometimes they look at me as if i have Ebola.What nerve i have to disturb their shopping reverie, what unmitigated gall have i to suggest they move their cart so traffic can flow up and down the aisle.Many times, when they don't respond, i move their fucking wagon so i(and others) can pass. Some folks don't like that.I've invaded their space and dared to touch "their" wagon.
    I smash their cart with mine until it is out of my (and everyone's) way. Done it numerous times.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Damn right!

Or to paraphrase (this is mine), People whose universe ends at the end of their nose.
    Narcissists

I'm not bothered by narcissists. Too busy with my own shit.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I smash their cart with mine until it is out of my (and everyone's) way. Done it numerous times.
    I casually move their cart to make way for mine and others. if they don't like that I did that, it's their problem, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I'm not bothered by narcissists. Too busy with my own shit.

Speaking of phones, I find people sitting in a room by themselves using a speaker phone to be incredibly impersonal. It's inconsiderate and the echoes are a real annoyance. They're basically telling you that you're not worth the effort of picking up a phone. Don't even get me started on those shitty VoIP connections with all of the muffled and mangled sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post

Screw 'em.*

* On occasion i forget that my shopping cart is parked in the middle of the aisle,but i'm usually aware of leaving room for others to pass when i'm examining an item for nutritional info,etc.

That's an especially big problem at Costco with the aforementioned sample tables and those shopping carts that are the size of a house.

What I find very often is people walking away from their carts with their purses sitting there to be pilfered. I have told numerous people that they might want to rethink that. If only I was a thief.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Speaking of phones, I find people sitting in a room by themselves using a speaker phone to be incredibly impersonal. It's inconsiderate and the echoes are a real annoyance. They're basically telling you that you're not worth the effort of picking up a phone. Don't even get me started on those shitty VoIP connections with all of the muffled and mangled sounds.
    My phone randomly decides it's in "headphone" mode...forcing me to use speakerphone to make or answer a call. Annoying.
    <sig out of order>

What I find very often is people walking away from their carts with their purses sitting there to be pilfered. I have told numerous people that they might want to rethink that. If only I was a thief.
    Because the aisle I was going into was crowded, I left a cart at the end of it, with a bag of medication in the 'seat' part and walked down the aisle. when I returned to the cart the meds were gone. I'd done that numerous times w/o anything stolen. since that incident, I put the meds in a plastic bag and I tie the bag around my wrist until I get to my car. nice of you to look out for others, Ron.

one of my joys is obtaining items (that are out of reach) for old ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Because the aisle I was going into was crowded, I left a cart at the end of it, with a bag of medication in the 'seat' part and walked down the aisle. when I returned to the cart the meds were gone.
    Something like that happened to my wife in the local supermarket. She had a small plastic box with a lid in which she kept all her coupons; even had little alphabetic spacers in it so she could organize the coupons. She turned her back for a moment to get something off the shelf and someone had stolen the coupon box. Took her a long time to find another one just the right size.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    one of my joys is obtaining items (that are out of reach) for old ladies.
    I do that, too. I actually prefer to help out younger ladies.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

People who leave shopping carts anywhere they please.

I'm old enough to be a witness to the evolution of the shopping cart. I remember leaving the grocery store carrying paper bags. Then the cart came along, wonder of wonders, to make our lives easier. We were able to bring our groceries to the car without breaking a sweat. However, we operated under the unspoken agreement with the establishment that we must return the cart to the store. As the stores consolidated and became bigger so, too, became their parking lots. And the distance between store and car. So, to again convenience the customer, cart corrals began to appear. But some of us are too self-absorbed (ie: our poop doesn't stink) to concern themselves with these corrals. So now you know who to thank for that scratch on the side of your car or that parking space that is not available to you during a downpour.

Courtesy... Most definitely on the endangered species list.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Courtesy... Most definitely on the endangered species list.
    Completely extinct in the professional setting, IMO.

Re: shopping carts, Aldi has a great system. You go to the carts corral, stick in a quarter, and it unlocks. When you're done shopping, you bring your cart back and you get your quarter back. No cost to anyone and the store workers never have to chase carts. Savings get passed along to customers.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Something like that happened to my wife in the local supermarket. She had a small plastic box with a lid in which she kept all her coupons; even had little alphabetic spacers in it so she could organize the coupons. She turned her back for a moment to get something off the shelf and someone had stolen the coupon box. Took her a long time to find another one just the right size.
    Inspired by that experience, the next time she tried leaving the kids in the cart while she wandered up the aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Inspired by that experience, the next time she tried leaving the kids in the cart while she wandered up the aisle.
    She did do that, but when she got back there were more kids in the cart than when she left.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    More people @ work park in the parking garages than in the outside lot on days (like today) when it's snowing. I usually manage to get a space on the 2nd floor, but today floors 1-3 were full, and I'm headed up the ramp to the uncovered 4th floor when the guy in front of me apparently decided to head to the other garage, because he slammed it into reverse and starts heading right at me. It took 3 honks before he came out of his coma and stopped.

Speaking of phones, I find people sitting in a room by themselves using a speaker phone to be incredibly impersonal. It's inconsiderate and the echoes are a real annoyance. They're basically telling you that you're not worth the effort of picking up a phone.
    That's what they are telling you? You sure about that?

Okay, so let's dwell a bit more on drivers. How about those people who are either too lazy, stupid or fat to turn their heads when driving in reverse?

I saw my daughter do that ONCE. I told her that the rear-view mirror is ONLY for when you are driving forward. Otherwise, you turn your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    That's what they are telling you? You sure about that?
    To some degree, yes. I know people who act as though it's beneath them to show the professional courtesy of picking up the phone and being heard clearly. Certainly something is a more important use for their hands at the time. No, not that.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My wife's car has a rear-facing camera with a display that kicks in when you put the car in reverse. I still turn around when I'm backing up in her car.