Thread: John Wesley (feat. Alex Lifeson) on Disconnect, Porcupine Tree, Marillion & Fish

John Wesley (feat. Alex Lifeson) on Disconnect, Porcupine Tree, Marillion & Fish

Hey all,

Consider reading my brand new interview with the fantastic singer-songwriter/virtuoso electric guitarist John Wesley (aka Wes Dearth) over on Innerviews.

John released one of the best expansive rock albums in recent memory with 'Disconnect,' which features Rush's Alex Lifeson. In fact, the interview includes a mini-sidebar from Lifeson, including his commentary on John. You'll also learn about John's other escapades, working with the likes of Porcupine Tree, Marillion, Fish, and Sound of Contact. John also gets *real* in this interview, talking about the things that get in the way of being a musician sometimes. I think you'll all get a lot out of his music and the conversation.

Check it out here: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wesley.html

Thanks! I'm checking it out now.

Great interview! Thank you.

Great interview as always. Thank you.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Excellent interview, thanks! I first met Wes back when he was Rothery's guitar tech, and I was more in touch with him in those early days. But I love Lily Pad Suite, and while I haven't listened to Disconnect a lot, I could tell it was very good, and reading your interview has made me realize I need to listen to it more. The interview with Alex is also very cool. Cool that he made some time for that.

Wes has some good live shows available for download, and I recommend them to anyone who might be interested.

Excellent interview. I've seen John Wesley several times, and met him at the Marillion weekends. Nice, friendly guy. Saw him with Porcupine Tree as well, and I seem to recall he even sang lead vocals on one of the older PT songs.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I seem to recall he even sang lead vocals on one of the older PT songs.
    on “fadeaway” (from “up the downstair”). when i saw MARiLLiON on the “strange engine” tour he was returning as rothery’s guitar tech and even played acoustic guitar on stage during “estonia”.

one of (prog) rock's good guys and a real hands-on bloke. very nice to see his own profile on the rise. thanks for this, anil!

A lot more people need to know about John. He's also open to interesting collaborations. Glad you're digging the piece.

Great interview! Thanks Anil.

'Disconnect' was in my top 5 of 2014. It is a brilliant album and, being a Veteran myself, I relate with the lyrics totally. "Once a Warrior" and "How Goes The War": I've listened to many albums by other artists adressing these themes, but none of those comes close to convey in words what you really feel and the effects of war the way John Wesley did on this record. That's probably the reason why this album came in my top 5. When I listened to the album the first time and I was reading the lyrics as the album played, I thought he was talking about me in almost every song. But the album's themes could be just about anyone in any other circumstance of life. Great introspective lyrics on this one and a highly recommended album.

I saw John Wesley on March last year opening for Anathema at the State Theatre in St. Petersburg, FL, a few days before 'Disconnect' was released here in the U.S., and he played a blistering 45 minute set playing most of this album and a couple from his previous 'Shiver', a record that wasn't mentioned on the interview and that some of it was produced by Steven Wilson. That's a pretty good album too. He deserves all the success in the world and more people here should listen/buy 'Disconnect'.

I should also add that, in a better world, both "Windows" and "Mary Will" should be played on mainstream radio. Just too bad that actual great music don't find its way to radio anymore.

I think Wes' thing will build up through word of mouth. Having the huge support of the Rush guys will help, but it's the fans that will make this happen.

I remember when he went by his given name, Wes Dearth.

His name is John Wesley Dearth. Both John Wesley and Wes Dearth are accurate...

Whatever the name, the guy can rage. Good read.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Great interview and I really enjoyed reading it. Wesley is definitely a talent that deserves more recognition. I have seen him solo, with Porcupine Tree and most recently with Big Elf. I don’t have all of his albums, but the ones I have I really like. I had the chance to talk to him at a Porcupine Tree gig once and he seemed like a really nice down to earth guy.

Guess what, you can download ALL of John's albums for Free here (you have to buy Disconnect though):
    http://www.john-wesley.com/free/

I highly recommend The Lilypad Suite. Great EP.