Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Tangerine Dream

My first taste of TD was probably Legend. I had certainly known about them for a long time, but it was some time before I actually plunged into the weird, wonderful Tangerine world. I believe the Quadrophonische Produktion double LP reissue of Alpha Centauri and Atem was my first actual TD record.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And Jimmy Jackson and Thomas Keyserling.
    But they were not members, merely guest musicians. Jimmy Jackson really got around then, didn’t he?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    I was disgusted when I heard the album in the boxed set and sold it the same day. no doubt in my mind that green desert had never been anywhere near 1973, and it's as boring as hell.
    First time I've ever heard anybody say that about Green Desert.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Me too.

That assumes that Green Desert really is as old as they claim it was. I know a lot of people who believe the talk of Herr Franke and Herr Froese recording the album in 74 during one of Herr Baumann's absences from the band to be a total PR fabrication. If you listen to Green Desert it sounds NOTHING like what they were doing circa 73-74.
    It also sounds nothing like what they were doing in the '80s. The side-length title suite obviously sounds closer to Stratosfear than Atem/Phaedra/Rubycon. Considering how Edgar liked to operate, he wasn't the type to make a hard detour and record something in a style he was exploring roughly 7-10 years earlier.
    Actually if GD doesn't sound like 73/74, neither does it sound 85/86... it sounds more like 77/79 to my ears (I must say I haven't heard it in a long time)

If Edgar really gave us Green Desert — fresh out the oven — in 1984/1985, then I have absolutely nothing to complain about, because I dig that album. Stylistically speaking, it really doesn't sound like something they would've done around the time they recorded Firestarter and Le Parc, though. Not Ed's style.
    exactly... It's kind of too bad that I only discovered of GD's origins almost a decade after it was released. I'd seen the cover in the stores, but had assumed it was just another mid-80's TD album (the artwork is not exactly 70's TD)...

Oh, I happen to like it myself. I'm just saying there are those who doubt the provenance given by Edgar and Chris about the album's origins.
    Well AFAIK, they never claimed they didn't diddle and doodle with those tapes... It sounds 75 to 77 TD to me

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I think it is as they said. I love it and it def. sounds like a precursor to Stratosfear to me. You guys think what you like but I don't believe any of what was told to us is false.
    neither do I... why lie about it? It's not like TD was selling less albums in the mid-80's than in the 70's, since they were getting plenty of exposition via OST from fairly high-profile flims like Risky Business and stuff .
    From memory, I'd say GD sounds more between Ricochet (75) and Force Majeure (79), so yeah, Stratosfear is in that bracket... ut before Stratosfear, there is only Ricochet.

in either case, no matter its origins, GD is a great album. period
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    I was disgusted when I heard the album in the boxed set and sold it the same day. no doubt in my mind that green desert had never been anywhere near 1973, and it's as boring as hell.
    TBH, I never even knew it was in a boxset... and GD "boring as hell"? I guess it's better to read that than be blind, I guess
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    To me GD sounds like they took some taped Froese/Franke sessions and maybe overdubbed some stuff onto them, but I think it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    To me GD sounds like they took some taped Froese/Franke sessions and maybe overdubbed some stuff onto them, but I think it's great.
    Exactly my thoughts since the first time I've listened to GD: the basic foundation tracks are obviously from the vintage TD era (early to mid 70ies) but with some modern sounding synths added on the top. Maybe sacrilegious for some but the result is very pleasant and I would still highly recommend GD to any TD fan, it's amongst their best from that (Phaedra/Ricochet) period.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Exactly my thoughts since the first time I've listened to GD: the basic foundation tracks are obviously from the vintage TD era (early to mid 70ies) but with some modern sounding synths added on the top. Maybe sacrilegious for some but the result is very pleasant and I would still highly recommend GD to any TD fan, it's amongst their best from that (Phaedra/Ricochet) period.
    I agree with all of this.

I can't warm too much to Green Desert, mainly due to the prominence of Franke's plodding drum work. Elvin Jones, he ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I can't warm too much to Green Desert, mainly due to the prominence of Franke's plodding drum work. Elvin Jones, he ain't.
    In space rock music he doesn't need to do much more than keep a steady beat. I listened to Zeit before bed last night and I couldn't hear any beats. When I saw them on the Stratosfear Tour in 1976,There were no drums,just a lot of sequencers for the drums.

I listened to Zeit before bed last night and I couldn't hear any beats. When I saw them on the Stratosfear Tour in 1976,There were no drums,just a lot of sequencers for the drums.
    Precisely. That's what I prefer from TD.

Anybody got this one?

2348936.jpg

Several years ago Chris Franke and Edgar Rothermich recorded a new film score for a biopic. There are four tracks you can hear at this link. The music harks back to mid-80s TD. Nice stuff. http://dingdingmusic.com/DingDing/Video.html

I listened to Zeit before bed last night and I couldn't hear any beats.
    The only percussion instruments on Zeit were cymbals. I have still yet to hear Green Desert, but it was my understanding that Franke pretty much abandoned the drums after Atem. On Cyclone and Force Majeure, they brought in Klaus Krieger as their drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The only percussion instruments on Zeit were cymbals. I have still yet to hear Green Desert, but it was my understanding that Franke pretty much abandoned the drums after Atem. On Cyclone and Force Majeure, they brought in Klaus Krieger as their drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    You've obviously never heard Ricochet. There's definitely drums (overdubbed, of course) on side one of Ricochet.

You've obviously never heard Ricochet. There's definitely drums (overdubbed, of course) on side one of Ricochet.
    That is the one that has escaped my grasp for some odd reason.

I forgot about Ricochet. Then again, I don’t seem to listen to it as much as the others, for whatever reason.

Sounds interesting. How much is played on the spot, and what is from tape? I suppose drums and guitar are from the tape you see somewhere in the video.

Think you nailed it.

The Coventry Cathedral video hasn't got live audio at all...it was just Ricochet played atop the vid. There were no drums played live in the source concert.

That's the thing...TD was never exactly the most "honest" band about their live recordings, even back into the 70's. They were always mixing in studio work. At least back in the 70's/80's, the music seemed to match; by the time stuff like Sohoman and Soundmill Navigator happened, it had become kind of awkward, like knowing that your favorite kid is lying to your face. Green Desert, LiveMiles, the "bonus" tracks on Dream Roots, the bonus live show on the I-Box, Dream Encores, Kyoto, Blue Moon...there were always stories about them that didn't quite match up with what the ears were hearing. Hell, on 220 Volt Live they literally used studio versions of songs in place of the actual performed versions (Oriental Haze, for example).

When the Vaults happened, it was the first time I think TD started actually having fairly accurate representation of their live shows.

And look...I love the music. Poland is a great album, regardless of how much/little was actually from the concert. But when things like Green Desert come along, even if we really dig the music I think it is frankly quite reasonable to question what EF was trying to tell us was "the truth" of the situation.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

There are bootlegs for the Coventry Cathedral gig, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    There are bootlegs for the Coventry Cathedral gig, apparently.
    It was released as a Tangerine "Leaf" release, because the sound quality wasn't so hot, but here is the info: http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/tleav006.htm
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    The Coventry Cathedral video hasn't got live audio at all...it was just Ricochet played atop the vid. There were no drums played live in the source concert.

That's the thing...TD was never exactly the most "honest" band about their live recordings, even back into the 70's. They were always mixing in studio work. At least back in the 70's/80's, the music seemed to match; by the time stuff like Sohoman and Soundmill Navigator happened, it had become kind of awkward, like knowing that your favorite kid is lying to your face. Green Desert, LiveMiles, the "bonus" tracks on Dream Roots, the bonus live show on the I-Box, Dream Encores, Kyoto, Blue Moon...there were always stories about them that didn't quite match up with what the ears were hearing. Hell, on 220 Volt Live they literally used studio versions of songs in place of the actual performed versions (Oriental Haze, for example).

When the Vaults happened, it was the first time I think TD started actually having fairly accurate representation of their live shows.

And look...I love the music. Poland is a great album, regardless of how much/little was actually from the concert. But when things like Green Desert come along, even if we really dig the music I think it is frankly quite reasonable to question what EF was trying to tell us was "the truth" of the situation.
    So I suppose I just can buy Ricochet, because I liked the music on the Coventry video.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    So I suppose I just can buy Ricochet, because I liked the music on the Coventry video.
    Definitely...whether it is a "true" live document or not, it is an excellent vintage TD album, and the bits on the Conventry DVD were just excerpts