Thread: Happy Birthday Phil Collins

Happy Birthday Phil Collins

Turns 64 today.

When I think of him, I believe he is the artist that I've received the most 'entertainment' from.
    The drums, then drums and vocals with Genesis; his solo catalog; his work with other artists and other genres, his stage presence while performing.

There was a Genesis concert that I attended where I was seated behind the stage. Yes, it was great sitting right behind Chester Thompson to see how he worked, but still, I could only see the back of Mike and Daryl's heads, and could not see Tony at all.

Phil make a point of coming to the back of the stage to face the sections like mine on more than one instance during the concert.

If I met him, I would thank him for years of listening pleasure.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Not only are A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering Genesis' best, most consistent studio albums (closely followed by Duke), but Seconds Out contains the best officially released versions (live or studio) of the best of the Gabriel years (i.e. 'The Cinema Show' and 'Supper's Ready').

Further to that, Face Value is a bloody wonderful record, and ...but Seriously is very good indeed.

Many happy returns Phil.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Happy Birthday to SU-SU-SUDIYOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Not only are A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering Genesis' best, most consistent studio albums (closely followed by Duke), but Seconds Out contains the best officially released versions (live or studio) of the best of the Gabriel years (i.e. 'The Cinema Show' and 'Supper's Ready').

Further to that, Face Value is a bloody wonderful record, and ...but Seriously is very good indeed.

Many happy returns Phil.
    ^^^Have to agree with this!

Many happy returns to Mr. Collins
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Many happy returns to Mr. Collins
    Phil is my favorite Rock drummer of all time. However, then ruined the art of rock drumming however with encouragement from Peter Gabriel with noise gating, and then the drum machine. He is not solely responsible for ruining Genesis. He raised an excellent drummer in Simon who has good taste.

It's his birthday, and I forgot to get him another band to ruin.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'm surprised it took until post#6 for the dreaded R word.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'm surprised it took until post#6 for the dreaded R word.
    What "Rock". BTW I didn't say he was solely responsible for ruining Gspot.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Phil Collins ruined birthdays
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering Genesis' best, most consistent studio albums
    Hmmm....my biggest problem with Wind and Wuthering has always been its wild inconsistency. "Your Own Special Way" and "Mouse's Night" (except for Steve's solo) are dire. "Earl of Mar" and "Gorilla" go nowhere, and the first half of "Rooftop's" chorus always struck me as lazy. Trick is consistently wonderful throughout however. I'll give you that one.