Page 146 of 328 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196246 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 8188

Thread: Current fav US TV series

^^ Works fine on my Firefox, although I did get a notice pleading with me to disable my ad blocker. Perhaps your version is out of date.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Thanks. No, my FF is up to date: 78.0.2 (64-bit). In fact, it updates automatically.

RT works fine until I do a search and click on a movie's link. Then I get the unsupported browser error.

Also, while I don't use it, I sometimes visit Twitter and get a similar error: This browser is no longer supported. But it works fine once I get past the error popup.

Thinking both issues had something to do with my ad blocker, I've temporarily disabled it and I still get the error. I wonder if it has something to do with FF's privacy, preventing these websites from tracking you.

I don't know. I've searched for my issue on FF's forum and Googled it and came up empty.

Edit: I just discovered that it doesn't happen with every link I click on. A third of the way down on the home page is a list of ten "Popular Streaming Movies". 20% gave me the unsupported browser error.

Next to that list is the "Most Popular TV on RT" list of ten shows. 60% of that list was fucked up. This tells me the issue is with RT, not FF.
    Last edited by Hal...; 07-26-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Just started watching New York vs The Mob on Netflix. Two episodes in so far and really enjoying it. They have interviews with a lot of people I have never seen before (and some familiar faces). So far it is very well done.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just started watching New York vs The Mob on Netflix. Two episodes in so far and really enjoying it. They have interviews with a lot of people I have never seen before (and some familiar faces). So far it is very well done.
    Looks like the actual title is "Fear City: New York vs The Mafia". I'll have to look into it.

We recently binged the six-episode series The White House Farm Murders. Very good account of a true story in England, 1985. Featured no less than four Game Of Thrones cast members too (Robert Baratheon, Theon & Yara Greyjoy and Grenn). Really enjoyed it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    We recently binged the six-episode series The White House Farm Murders. Very good account of a true story in England, 1985. Featured no less than four Game Of Thrones cast members too (Robert Baratheon, Theon & Yara Greyjoy and Grenn). Really enjoyed it.
    Yes, that was a great show! Did you notice the poster of David Sylvian in the living room of the stepson?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Looks like the actual title is "Fear City: New York vs The Mafia". I'll have to look into it.
    You are correct on the title. Apparently it is only 3 episodes and I finished it this afternoon. Very well done, although they kind just focus on a very narrow period of time.

Very well done, although they kind just focus on a very narrow period of time.
    Which was? I have it on my watch list and am curious.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Which was? I have it on my watch list and am curious.
    Basically the 80's. They focus on the start of being able to put bugs in mob locations using the RICO act and it ends with the arrest and trial of Fat Tony, and some of the other 5 family bosses.

We started watching The Alienist. 7 episodes in and enjoying it so far.

Watching The Great on Hulu. Situational comedy about Catherine the Great. Pretty good.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Working in mental health, the Alienist is of particular interest to my coworkers and me. Not to mention, I've long been fascinated by late 19th and early 20th century history.

Love the book, love the show but not enamored with Dakota Fanning. Her sister is a much better actress.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Working in mental health, the Alienist is of particular interest to my coworkers and me. Not to mention, I've long been fascinated by late 19th and early 20th century history.
    So......we were watching it On Demand (we have spectrum cable) and they just got rid of it! Not sure if there is anywhere else we can find it or not, but we only got through the 7 episodes. I did not know it was going to be taken off.

So......we were watching it On Demand (we have spectrum cable) and they just got rid of it! Not sure if there is anywhere else we can find it or not, but we only got through the 7 episodes. I did not know it was going to be taken off.
    It's on netflix Steve...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Just checked the program guide, and 2 new episodes are still listed on TNT network Sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    It's on netflix Steve...
    Mmmm......we looked on Netflix and did not find it.

Just checked the program guide, and 2 new episodes are still listed on TNT network Sunday night.
    So...here is what is weird. When I go to On Demand there is Season 1 episodes 1 -3, and season 2 episode 1 - 4, but that is it. We were on season 1 episode 7, but the rest of season 1 is not showing up.

I finished it yesterday or the day before. And, yes, very well done. Brought back quite a few memories, too.

I remember when I first transferred to NYC in '86, it was like a whole other world. The first thing I saw in lower Manhattan, riding down the FDR in a taxi, was a car by the side of the road up on blocks, no wheels, with the hood and trunk up. My first morning on Governor's Island (which is just off the southern tip of Manhattan), I woke up hearing two guys talking about the beating Dan Rather had gotten just a month prior ("what's the frequency, Kenneth?"). And in what became my favorite haunt, a bar on Houston, I listened to a couple of guys talking about Paul Castellano's hit in front of Spark's Steak House; it was still a topic of conversation a year later. A month later, all those mob guys were convicted on RICO charges depicted in the Netflix documentary.

All this occured while I was addicted to King Crimson's Discipline. A line from "Thela Hun Ginjeet" almost became like my mantra at the time: this is a dangerous place.

So...here is what is weird. When I go to On Demand there is Season 1 episodes 1 -3, and season 2 episode 1 - 4, but that is it. We were on season 1 episode 7, but the rest of season 1 is not showing up.
    Season 1 was more than a year ago, maybe even 2 years ago. I know TNT recently aired a few reruns as a teaser for the new season, but don't know if it was the entire first season. Most programming on On Demand is time limited, but one thing I've found is some shows not yet or no longer available in HD are available in SD. As a last resort, maybe you could find the DVD/BD box set on Ebay, Amazon, Discogs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I finished it yesterday or the day before. And, yes, very well done. Brought back quite a few memories, too.

I remember when I first transferred to NYC in '86, it was like a whole other world. The first thing I saw in lower Manhattan, riding down the FDR in a taxi, was a car by the side of the road up on blocks, no wheels, with the hood and trunk up. My first morning on Governor's Island (which is just off the southern tip of Manhattan), I woke up hearing two guys talking about the beating Dan Rather had gotten just a month prior ("what's the frequency, Kenneth?"). And in what became my favorite haunt, a bar on Houston, I listened to a couple of guys talking about Paul Castellano's hit in front of Spark's Steak House; it was still a topic of conversation a year later. A month later, all those mob guys were convicted on RICO charges depicted in the Netflix documentary.

All this occured while I was addicted to King Crimson's Discipline. A line from "Thela Hun Ginjeet" almost became like my mantra at the time: this is a dangerous place.
    I got to spend the summer of 1985 in New York City working in a restaurant in the Halloran House Hotel on the corner of 49th and Lexington in Manhattan. For a small-town kid from the Midwest it was like stepping into another world. I had no awareness at the time of the mob or any of it’s activities in the city, but since that time I found out that Edward Halloran (the owner of the Hotel) was a mob associate of the Genovese family. A few years later he was convicted for racketeering in 1987. He eventually “disappeared” in the 90’s and his body was never found. At the hotel / restaurant that I worked at I would say 75% of the people working there were Italian with names like Guido, Carmine, etc., all names I had never heard of here in Michigan. They were all nice, and I never had any issues, but it was definitely a completely different culture from what I was used to. A buddy of mine and I used to roam around the streets of Manhattan after we would get out of work late at night until the wee hours of the morning. Looking back on that, it is really amazing that we did not have any problems given the state that the city was in at the time, but we were young and stupid and did not know any better. Here is a short article about Halloran’s disappearance when it happened: https://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/30/n...isappears.html

^^ In my experience in the seedier parts of where I live, if one expects to be a victim, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Your naivete may have played a major role in nobody messing with you.

Thanks Steve, for sending me down the rabbit hole of Mafia history for 3˝ hours.

In my experience in the seedier parts of where I live, if one expects to be a victim, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Your naivete may have played a major role in nobody messing with you.
    That reminds me of a story about something that happened to me in NYC.

It was around midnight and I was walking down the west side of 7th Ave. I had just passed Macy's so I was around 32nd St. This woman with a pronounced accent walks up to me asking about a hotel. She tells me she'd just gotten off the bus. They took her luggage to the hotel she was going to be staying at and gave her a baggage claim ticket, which she showed me. It had the name and address of the hotel on it. I looked around at the addresses on the buildings and told her, "it should be right here."

What was strange, tho, was that the "claim ticket" was pretty wrinkly and actually looked like one of those tags you put on your suitcase with your name and address on it.

I told her to call information. She said she didn't know how and asked me for help. I told her to go to a phone booth and just dial 4-1-1 and then ask the operator for the address of the hotel. She was begging me to help her. She was alone, kind of hot, and so I agreed, now having an ulterior motive in thinking I could seduce her (yeah, I know, I'm despicable).

I looked around and saw some phone booths (the half kind, not the full booths) up north, near the corner of 7th & 33rd, pointed them out, and started walking back up 7th. As we reached 32nd, she said something so I stopped and turned toward her. Just then, a guy passed us, walking in the same direction. He crossed 32nd and continued walking up 7th. He was wearing a tan overcoat and had a cheap red umbrella. It's funny. For some reason, I had the thought that his umbrella didn't match his overcoat. lol

Anyway, we were just standing there on the corner when I noticed a bank of phone booths across the street and down 32nd, about 50 feet from the corner. I told her about them so we crossed the street. I went down to about the 5th or 6th phone booth, picked up the handset, and dialed 4-1-1. I happened to look over and at the first booth was the guy in the tan overcoat with the red umbrella.

I handed the woman the handset, said, "just tell her what you want," and walked away. She started begging again for me to help her but I just continued walking.

I turned on 7th and about a half a block down looked back up the street but didn't see the woman or guy. I breathed a big sigh of relief and the line from Thela Hun Ginjeet immediately popped to mind: "this is a dangerous place." I knew just then how Ade Belew felt when he starts laughing in the song.

I crossed back over to the west side of 7th just to put a little more distance between us. Another block later, the relief dissipated and I started feeling disappointed that I didn't get the chance to seduce that woman. (yeah, I know, I'm despicable)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Season 2 of Umbrella Academy has just dropped on Netfix, trailer looks suitably bonkers, I enjoyed season 1 so looking forward to this one.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Season 2 of Umbrella Academy has just dropped on Netfix, trailer looks suitably bonkers, I enjoyed season 1 so looking forward to this one.
    I'm three episodes in. It's fun.