Page 160 of 330 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210260 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

I liked The Orville, too, even tho I found the humor mostly underwhelming. They did have one episode that was freaking hilarious: when Bortus or his mate Klyden laid an egg.

The show moved to Hulu, I guess, but they cancelled it after one season.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I saw that commercial a couple weeks ago but I hold out no hope that it will be any good or, if it is, will last very long.

For a few years now, probably since the writer's strike, there's only been just a few one hour shows that were/are any good or, at least, interesting: Kevin (Probably) Saves the World, Hannibal, The Exorcist, and Evil, which is usually good but occasionally creeps too close to broadcast TV mediocrity.

Kevin..., a really good show, was cancelled after one season. Hannibal was really interesting, at first, but got a little bogged down and given that it was one of those "abridged" shows (10-13 episodes/year) which would also occasionally be preempted, interest waned for me. It was cancelled three seasons. The Exorcist, only somewhat good, was cancelled after two seasons. Evil has been renewed for a second season but since it's an abridged show, too, it's hard to stay interested.
    I agree, broadcast network TV has become pretty dire. With the exception of "This Is Us" (which I have posted about before) we don't have anything that we currently watch on broadcast tv.

The wife and I just started watching "Dark" on Netflix. I think I have seen it mentioned here before, but did not want to go back through all the threads. This show is a bit similar to "Stranger Things", but so far I think it is quite a bit better. It is a German production, so you either have to use subtitles or dubbed dialogue, but you get used to it pretty quick. There are also a lot of characters and the show goes back and forth in time (literally), so sometimes it gets a bit difficult to remember who is who, but so far we are 6 shows in and this show is kicking my ass. I have no idea where they are going with the story.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The wife and I just started watching "Dark" on Netflix. I think I have seen it mentioned here before, but did not want to go back through all the threads. This show is a bit similar to "Stranger Things", but so far I think it is quite a bit better. It is a German production, so you either have to use subtitles or dubbed dialogue, but you get used to it pretty quick. There are also a lot of characters and the show goes back and forth in time (literally), so sometimes it gets a bit difficult to remember who is who, but so far we are 6 shows in and this show is kicking my ass. I have no idea where they are going with the story.
    We're enjoying the show though it is very confusing, we're only midway through the first season and I've heard it gets more complex. I actually prefer Stranger Things but both very good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    We're enjoying the show though it is very confusing, we're only midway through the first season and I've heard it gets more complex. I actually prefer Stranger Things but both very good.
    Sounds like we are about at the same place. Yes, it is confusing. If you miss 30 seconds of it, you can be lost pretty quick. I am digging it though. The soundtrack is pretty cool too. I have no clue who the artists are that they are playing, but I have dug most of the music. Regarding "Stranger Things" I like it ok, but don't love it as much as a lot of people do. So far, I am digging "Dark" more.

With the passing of Dawn Wells, yesterday, this came up again:

Ginger or Mary Ann?

866603485b50898d7bf861bff8ee864e.jpg

And, I have to add...

Samantha or Jeannie?

Jennifer or Bailey?

wkrp_jennifer_bailey.jpg

And one I've come up with:

Thandie Newton or Zoe Saldana?

7021732b2907e96c1692529330447893.jpg
    Last edited by Hal...; 12-31-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

1) Ginger
    2) Jeannie
    3) Loni
    4) No opinion

1 Mary Ann
    2 Samantha
    3 Bailey
    4 Thandie
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We just finished season 1 last night. Laurel printed out a character flowchart thing se we could keep track of who was who. I am totally digging it. One of the best time travel shows I have ever seen. The subplot of how it impacts all of the characters, the town, etc. also makes it different.

Incidentally, I included #4 because I confuse them way more often than I don't. I wondered if that was racist but Thandie Newton said her friend Victoria Beckham once asked about her pregnancy and Thandie, who had just given birth a month prior, realized Beckham had confused her with Zoe who was pregnant. And Zoe Saldana said even her own mother confuses the two: she thought Zoe was in the movie Crash, which was Newton. Years later, she made a comment about Zoe's show being on HBO. When Zoe asked what show, her mom said Westworld - which stars Newton. So I don't feel bad, now. lol

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    1) Ginger
    2) Jeannie
    3) Loni
    4) No opinion
    Did you reply "Loni" because I originally had the names in the wrong order?

Why no opinion on #4?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    1 Mary Ann
    2 Samantha
    3 Bailey
    4 Thandie
    I see you & I have a very similar taste in women. The only difference is that as an adolescent kid, I preferred Ginger. As an adult, it's mostly a toss up.
    Last edited by Hal...; 12-31-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Did you reply "Loni" because I originally had the names in the wrong order?

Why no opinion on #4?
    No, it's because I didn't watch the show more than a couple times, and wasn't really certain which was which based on character names.

As for 4, no opinion because I'm not familiar enough with either of them to have formed an opinion. I don't know if the pictures you posted are "good" representations of the 2 ladies, but based solely on those pics, I'll say Thandie.

1) Mary Ann
    2) Jeannie
    3) Bailey
    4) Thandie
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I liked Mary Ann, but always assumed my bad pick-up lines and childish sense of humor would work much better with Ginger.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Thandie
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Zoe

I can't be the only one here, surely...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    As for 4, no opinion because I'm not familiar enough with either of them to have formed an opinion. I don't know if the pictures you posted are "good" representations of the 2 ladies, but based solely on those pics, I'll say Thandie.
    Thandie Newton is probably best known for Mission: Impossible 2, Crash, Solo: A Star Wars Story, and the HBO show Westworld.

Zoe Saldana is probably best known for Star Trek (the reboot, as Uhura), Avatar, Colombiana, and playing the green chick Gamora in Guardians of the Galaxy and some of the Avengers movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I liked Mary Ann, but always assumed my bad pick-up lines and childish sense of humor would work much better with Ginger.
    There are three other choices, too.

Thandie
    There are three other choices, too.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Zoe

I can't be the only one here, surely...
    Thandie edges out Zoe for me, but it is really close.

BTW, there are three other choices, too.

Thandie edges out Zoe for me, but it is really close.

BTW, there are three other choices, too.
    1) Ginger
    2) Jeannie
    3) Bailey

I grew up watching the re-runs of those shows, so I was a little late to the game. But those have always been my preferences.

As for Thandie vs. Zoe, they're both great but Zoe's portrayal of Uhura gives her the edge (Star Trek being my favorite show as a kid).

I don't know the other 3 options so just voted for Thandie
    Ian

Ignoring the other three... Zoe. Absolutely.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The wife and I decided to try Derry Girls on Netflix and it was absolutely hilarious! Raced through both seasons (12 episodes total) in only two days. I wanted to savor it, but it was too good. Many laugh out loud moments, and I'm not easily amused by most comedies (unfortunately). You might want to use the captions though, as those Northern Irish accents and slang can be pretty dense.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The wife and I decided to try Derry Girls on Netflix... You might want to use the captions though, as those Northern Irish accents and slang can be pretty dense.
    I find that the case with most movies/shows from the British Isles these days. As I've gotten older, I have more trouble with accents.

Another weird thing I've noticed is I find it more difficult to distinguish between accents, too. A Scottish accent is easy to pick up on but I've confused northern English with it. There was someone in a show or movie I saw recently that I would have sworn was Irish but turned out to be English and an Irish woman in a documentary sounded more like she was from London. I now often confuse Australian with New Zealand, too, and I've even confused some Australians with Englanders. The only ones I still recognize are Queen's English, Scouse, and southern English (like Fripp; the southerners' accent is just weird, I think, so it's easy to identify).

I suspect that as things have gotten more global, that's where the trouble originates. I also read an article from a linguist recently who stated that accents have changed in the British Isles over the last 50 or 60 years. Which kinda corroborates my experience as I don't have nearly the trouble with older English movies. Probably because all those Shakespearean trained actors knew how to properly enunciate.

I've told this story before but I find it interesting... and amusing. I found myself in a conversation with three women at Nearfest. One is a Londoner, one's from Edinburgh, and the last a Quebecois whose second language is English. The only person I could understand was the Quebecois.

^^^ I'm fine with the accents for the most part, but a lot of modern U.K. slang throws me off because I simply don't know what it means. I can usually figure it out, but it's still best to have the captions on. Or else it's like trying to understand Vicky Pollard from Little Britain.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just finished season 3 of Cobra Kai. Man I love this show. For me it's a perfect blend of drama, comedy and 80's cheese. Some seriously funny shit in here especially with Johnny and Miguel
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I find that the case with most movies/shows from the British Isles these days. As I've gotten older, I have more trouble with accents.

Another weird thing I've noticed is I find it more difficult to distinguish between accents, too. A Scottish accent is easy to pick up on but I've confused northern English with it. There was someone in a show or movie I saw recently that I would have sworn was Irish but turned out to be English and an Irish woman in a documentary sounded more like she was from London. I now often confuse Australian with New Zealand, too, and I've even confused some Australians with Englanders. The only ones I still recognize are Queen's English, Scouse, and southern English (like Fripp; the southerners' accent is just weird, I think, so it's easy to identify).

I suspect that as things have gotten more global, that's where the trouble originates. I also read an article from a linguist recently who stated that accents have changed in the British Isles over the last 50 or 60 years. Which kinda corroborates my experience as I don't have nearly the trouble with older English movies. Probably because all those Shakespearean trained actors knew how to properly enunciate.

I've told this story before but I find it interesting... and amusing. I found myself in a conversation with three women at Nearfest. One is a Londoner, one's from Edinburgh, and the last a Quebecois whose second language is English. The only person I could understand was the Quebecois.
    The most difficult would be the cockney accent. Many Brits can't even understand the cockney accent.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Yorkshire accent to Cockney accent: "Here, hold my beer." Or, rather, something like "Yee, ole muh bair"
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.