Page 119 of 329 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169219 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 8222

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I finished season 1 of Legion and have started season 2. I was going to check this show out last year because of an interview I saw with Aubrey Plaza, who I really like, but forgot about it. This show is weird but since I like weird I'm kinda liking it.
    What service is streaming it?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I finished season 1 of Legion and have started season 2. I was going to check this show out last year because of an interview I saw with Aubrey Plaza, who I really like, but forgot about it. This show is weird but since I like weird I'm kinda liking it.
    Legion and Stranger Things are tied as my favorite current TV series bar none. Legion is brilliantly weird and at times incredibly disturbing. But also really funny sometimes! Nothing else quite like it on television right now IMO.
    Last edited by aith01; 07-02-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I loved the first season, probably because it followed the novel so closely. It seemed like Offred was heading toward becoming a bit of a superhero toward the end of season 2, so I cancelled my Hulu sub, since THT was the only thing I really watched. Based on what I've been reading about season 3, I'm not inclined to re-up. Kind of disappointing, since I've been really a big Elisabeth Moss fan since Mad Men.
    Blame audience expectations and high ratings. The show should have been a one season affair that follows the book closely and that's it. But it was a hit so we needed more, and we needed an arc to the character that would satisfy the audience's expectations. Hence, her almost single-handedly taking on a totalitarian state and ultimately ( I am assuming) triumphing.

This is the main reason I will always prefer a good book over a good show or movie. I used 1984 as a comparison since it's the granddaddy of all dystopian stories. In 1984, the main character is Big Brother. Winston Smith is just one example of a typical victim. He cannot triumph against the system because the system is set up to root him out, convert him, and kill him. That's some chilling shit. If the good guys always ultimately win, where's the fear in that? A story loses all of it's teeth and claws.

Having said this, I am sure my girlfriend will get her hands on the DVDs of season 3, and I will watch it.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Just got done binge-watching "The Expanse". Wow! They did a great job adapting to the James S.A. Corey books. The additions to the story line don't stray too far from that outlined in the book. Apparently, Season 4 is either going to drop in mid-July or at least an announcement as to the drop date of Season 4 will come then.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Just got done binge-watching "The Expanse". Wow! They did a great job adapting to the James S.A. Corey books. The additions to the story line don't stray too far from that outlined in the book. Apparently, Season 4 is either going to drop in mid-July or at least an announcement as to the drop date of Season 4 will come then.
    That show is just amazing - great characters, solid dialog, intricate plots, and for once, a science fiction show that gives a damn about getting the science right.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That show is just amazing - great characters, solid dialog, intricate plots, and for once, a science fiction show that gives a damn about getting the science right.
    Yeah, they seem to largely get it right! There's still some "noise" when rockets blast and such, but those are minor quibbles. Kudos to Amazon for picking this up! It's a show that doesn't pander to the audience.

Yeah, I heard that SyFy absolutely INSISTED that there be some noise in space. That was one of the things that Firefly tried to get right but the network freaked out. I guess TV execs just love the sound of rockets (don't get me started on explosions in space).

I need to give The Expanse a shot soon.

I just watched the first episode of Black Summer on Netflix and thought it was pretty cool. Zombie apocalypse stuff so there ya go....works for me. Hope it doesn't disappoint.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I just watched the first episode of Black Summer on Netflix and thought it was pretty cool. Zombie apocalypse stuff so there ya go....works for me. Hope it doesn't disappoint.
    I found the first 3 or 4 episodes brilliant, but once they decided to hit that cache it was like they were superheroes all of a sudden. I liked the fact that any character can go at any time. Found the ending to the last show a bit of a stretch, but I hope there will be a 2nd season so we can see where they will push the story.

We finally watched the last two episodes of The Orville. While obviously the inverse of The Expanse in terms in its treatment of science, the last episode was pretty much a battle to the very end and highly entertaining (provided you shut off part of your brain). I like where this show is going and I look forward to the next season (though, enough with Ed and Kelly's relationship).

^^ My favorite episodes are the ones that have a story that involve Bortus. That dude cracks me up. Altho, his husband annoys the shit out of me.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    ^^ My favorite episodes are the ones that have a story that involve Bortus. That dude cracks me up. Altho, his husband annoys the shit out of me.
    SPOILER: ( The Moclan version of Ponn Farr is having to go back to their home planet to take a leak.)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Trialing Hulu for a month, so far we're watching Handmaids Tale, Top Of The Lake & Line Of Duty
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

We finished up Flowers tonight, 12 episodes total. Incredibly strange and quirky British series which can probably best be described as dark comedic modern fairytale. The acting is fantastic and although the laughs are sometimes a bit sparse amidst the artistic fantasy and dramatic scenes, when they are there they are absolutely riotous. We really enjoyed it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We finally watched the last two episodes of The Orville. While obviously the inverse of The Expanse in terms in its treatment of science, the last episode was pretty much a battle to the very end and highly entertaining (provided you shut off part of your brain). I like where this show is going and I look forward to the next season (though, enough with Ed and Kelly's relationship).
    Love Orville. Of course, our house is full of Seth fans.

The new Showtime series that debuted Sunday night, The Loudest Voice, with Russell Crowe (make up and body suit are amazing!) as Roger Ailes and Naomi Watts as Gretchen Carlson. Sienna Miller plays Ailes' wife, and constantly spreading his wings, Seth McF plays a close sleazeball Ailes ally.

I was hooked in the first 15 minutes of ep.1. Highly recommended.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Any others watching/watched the fan-produced Star Trek Continues? It's way better than I ever anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    that show had comparisons to Indecent Proposal, which I like her (Bridget Jones Diary namely) but I'm not sure how crazy I would be about seeing her in such a conniving, creepy role in a series.

Veronica Mars on Hulu Revival trailer

Of course VM is on Hulu, which I can't afford. I miss a lot of good shows because they are on Hulu, Netflix, HBO, Showtime etc. There's an ad for free HBO shows from days of yore on my Directv screensaver but to get them, namely The Wire of which I hope to see someday, but of course I have to subscribe to HBO to get. They tell me it's free yet it's not. Kinda ticks me off.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I found the first 3 or 4 episodes brilliant, but once they decided to hit that cache it was like they were superheroes all of a sudden. I liked the fact that any character can go at any time. Found the ending to the last show a bit of a stretch, but I hope there will be a 2nd season so we can see where they will push the story.
    I see what you mean. Finished this up last night. I still liked it though and hope for a 2nd season as well.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Yeah... let's see where it goes. I figured they couldn't keep up the pace set by those early shows. The one in the diner was particularly excellent...

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Yeah... let's see where it goes. I figured they couldn't keep up the pace set by those early shows. The one in the diner was particularly excellent...
    Holy fuck! This show was superb. LOVED the diner scenes! Especially the plan to go out there and do away with the two relentless buggers once distracted. BRILLIANT! Loved the non-linear telling of the different groups until they converge again. This was VERY well done! And YAY for fast, hard to kill zombies! Certainly gives it an urgent edge that is missing from shows like The Walking Dead. Thanks for the rec Yves!!

Any one catching Euphoria on HBO? This show is mostly dark, sometimes humorous, and certainly cringe-worthy at times (in that, I often feel like I should be looking away ). It's nicely written and the cinematography is jaw-dropping. Highly recommended but I would think, not everyone's cuppa.

While I'm at it, Big Little Lies is firing on all cylinders. I was unsure they could tack a new story-line onto a completed limited series based on a novel, but kudos to the David E. Kelly team for keeping it interesting. Good stuff.

And finally, HBO's Years and Years is yet another outstanding effort with a great cast (Emma Thompson is particularly good) set in England in the very near future. How near? Well, without giving out any spoilers, Pence is now PotUS after The Donald's second term.

Nice to see HBO continue to crank out the quality, especially after the end of juggernaut Game of Thrones.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have Euphoria queued up to watch, we love Big Little Lies, man these rich people have it tough with their messed up lives, I'd hate to be that school headmaster, will check out Years & Years.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Really enjoying Big Little Lies. Sunday's show is recorded to viewing tonight!

Big Little Lies was excellent last night, with a major "WOAH" moment right at the end.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***