Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Being a fan of the original graphic novel, the idea of a sequel TV series is fascinating to me. I hope its good.
    I was unaware of the graphic novel, but I love the movie, so this series has some big shoes to live up to, imo. Not at all certain it will be that good, but it looks very worthwhile.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm about 6 episodes in, its very good, getting very good reviews but also a bit of a backlash from its racism plot.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I was unaware of the graphic novel, but I love the movie, so this series has some big shoes to live up to, imo. Not at all certain it will be that good, but it looks very worthwhile.
    The graphic novel is a masterpiece and better than the movie. I love the movie.
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Oh man, I highly recommend the graphic novel. If you enjoyed the movie, I think you'll appreciate the book a lot.

I agree about it having big shoes to fill, so I'm a little nervous about it. But I want it to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm about 6 episodes in, its very good, getting very good reviews but also a bit of a backlash from its racism plot.
    Yeah, I figured that might generate some controversy. I think that was the intent actually, to spur discussion about the racial divide in America right now. Or perhaps to shine a light on the issue. Regardless of the reason, it's certainly timely IMO.

The graphic novel is a masterpiece and better than the movie.
    Totally agreed. When I finished the last issue/chapter, it upset me so much that I actually had trouble sleeping that night. It's rare for fictional stories to get inside my head like that; Moore's story and characters were just incredibly well written.

Even though I didn't love the movie, I was impressed by how faithful it was for the most part. Moore had said for years that his book was "unfilmable", but Zack Snyder somehow managed to make a coherent movie out of it still. There were just a few changes that I felt missed the mark of the original story, but that's only my opinion -- and just because I hold the graphic novel in such high regard. One exception is when Dr. Manhattan unceremoniously offed a character near the very end of the story. I preferred the movie's take actually, because of the regret and sadness that seemed to be lacking in the comic.

RE: Watchmen. Funny the conversation.

I don't know shit about the Watchmen other than it's comic books/ graphic novels.

Sis starts watching this and likes it enough to have bought the GN's. This is how I find about this other than trailers which I might or might not have seen blah blah blah, right? IOW, still clueless.

So I see this other trailer for a movie Hell on the Border, a movie about Bass Reeves, the first black lawmen west of the Mississippi and it turns out he's the inspiration for one of the characters in Watchmen. Or, as I get it, Bass Reeves was a hero to that character.

Go figure. There's also a bunch of movies based upon Bass coming out in the near future.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    The Morning Show with Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, Steve Carell, Billy Crudup, among others in this strong cast put on a veritable actor's clinic here (Crudup especially is a joy to watch and Carell demonstrates some insane acting chops). All I can say is this one is nothing short of phenomenal. The writing, acting, score...just a fine TV show. I turned to my GF last night and said, "This is Homeland, set in a TV studio!" A realistic view without all the preachy-ness.

8.75 out of 10 #metoo's.

The Mandalorian. Fun eposodic fare here with tons of great cameos.

8 out of 10 MudHorns.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

the Final season of Marvel's Runaways was uploaded to Hulu last Friday.

I've been preoccupied with things a bit, but really mean to binge it soon as I only watched the 1st episode.

Mixed feelings that it's the final season; on 1 hand, ending it after 3 seasons, it won't drag on and start to lose me. Also it could allow Brian K Vaughan's focus on the upcoming Y: The Last Man adaptation. On the other hand, the show and characters I still like and will miss in the coming years as it's sort of become an annual tradition getting a new season to binge every December/January.

Belgium TV (Canvas) will air the third season of The Handmaid's Tale, beginning January 1st next year.
    https://www.canvas.be/the-handmaid-s-tale-16

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Belgium TV (Canvas) will air the third season of The Handmaid's Tale, beginning January 1st next year.
    https://www.canvas.be/the-handmaid-s-tale-16
    After absolutely loving the first two seasons, my wife and I haven't made it past episode four of season three. We were both very excited for it, but it really fell apart IMO. Perhaps it gets better, but we may never find out - we just keep scrolling past it in our list of DVR recordings, because neither of us ever want to continue it.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

The History Channel, I think it's on Tues. nights--“Kings of Pain” follows wildlife biologist Adam Thorn and professional animal handler Rob “Caveman” Alleva as they get bitten and stung by some of the most dangerous animals and vicious stinging insects in the world – from a reticulated python to a rove beetle – to create a complete and comprehensive pain index that will ultimately help save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The History Channel, I think it's on Tues. nights--“Kings of Pain” follows wildlife biologist Adam Thorn and professional animal handler Rob “Caveman” Alleva as they get bitten and stung by some of the most dangerous animals and vicious stinging insects in the world – from a reticulated python to a rove beetle – to create a complete and comprehensive pain index that will ultimately help save lives.
    Cool. The first six episodes are on available to stream on History's website.
    I'm sick of wearing pants and having responsibilities.

This guy's name is Coyote Peterson, and most of his videos are up on YT. His YT channel is the same as the Kings of Pain, but easier to watch and access. I don't know how these guys do it. I just don't have the tolerance for pain. It seems like this type stuff would be bad for your heart and stuff too.

This guy's name is Coyote Peterson, and most of his videos are up on YT. His YT channel is the same as the Kings of Pain, but easier to watch and access. I don't know how these guys do it. I just don't have the tolerance for pain. It seems like this type stuff would be bad for your heart and stuff too.
    Watching Kings of Pain is one thing, because it looks like the cameraman is at least a few feet away. But that video you just posted is way too close up for me. There's no way I'd watch that, especially after having been stung 10x during a yellow jacket attack when I was a kid.

I saw some show on Discovery or NatGeo about Japanese hornets. Those things are enormous! They can get up to three inches long, which is almost the same length as your index finger. Their sting is one of the worst of all animals, not just bugs, partly because they tend to pump a lot of venom into their victim, iirc. Two to three dozen people are killed every year in Japan by Japanese hornets.

There was a guy there in Japan who specialized in removing hornet's nests. He was searching for one and thought it was farther away than it really was. He was attacked and stung a ridiculous number of times; I wanna say it was over a 1,000, but that seems too many. Damn memory. I remember his wife crying when she retold the story, tho.

The most interesting thing about the show was how Asian bees defend themselves. Japanese honey farmers imported European bees because they produce more honey than the Asian ones. But since bees are a competitor to hornets, hornets will kill bees. They filmed a hornet scout actually crawling into a bee's nest to check it out. The European bees attacked it, of course, but they couldn't kill it. The scout will then fly back to its own nest to bring reinforcements. 30 hornets can decimate a 10,000 bee hive in just a few hours. The European bees just don't have any defense against them.

The Asian bees do, however. When the hornet scout crawls into their nest, the Asian bees cover him from all sides. Imagine a ball of bees a little smaller than a baseball. That's what it looked like. And then what the bees do is they vibrate their bodies, like shivering, raising their body temperatures to just below the point they die. That temperature, however, is just enough to kill the hornet. They literally bake him to death in a bee oven. How's that for amazing?

That is amazing. Leave it to nature. They show a hornets nest (I think it was in Japan) on the Coyote Peterson videos, and he talks about them a little bit. I have to admit all that stuff gives me the creeps just as much as anybody, and I've been stung too. Living in East Texas there's all sort of bees, hornets, etc. I saw some yellow jackets that looked like they'd made a home in the ground, I thought maybe they'd taken over some other animal's burrow, but now I think they did it. At any rate I had to get some hornet remover spray and kill them all (or most of them) as it was near my house. But yeah, you have to stay aware out here. Once I opened my storage area where I keep my lawn mower, and I look up and some yellow jackets had built a nest above where I was standing at the top of the door overhang. It was a cloudy, cooler day, so they weren't as active or swarming, so I lucked out there.

I don't think Coyote's videos are any more close up than the other Kings of Pain guys--I'll probably still watch those as well. Still what a crazy way to make a living.

I saw some yellow jackets that looked like they'd made a home in the ground, I thought maybe they'd taken over some other animal's burrow, but now I think they did it...
    Once I opened my storage area where I keep my lawn mower, and I look up and some yellow jackets had built a nest above where I was standing at the top of the door overhang.
    Yellow jackets almost always nest in the ground so, yeah, the ones you saw in the ground were almost certainly YJs. I'd have to see the nest in your storage area to judge what they were but I'd wager a year's pay they were either wasps or hornets. Many wasps are yellow & black, too, as are many (or most) hornets. Technically, YJs and hornets are eusocial wasps, meaning they live in colonies. But, yes, they're wasps; they're just in different families of what we normally think of as a wasp: the thin, usually brown kind that are thread-waisted, like mud daubers. Mud daubers often build tubes. Sometimes their nest is just a blob of what looks like dried mud. Paper wasps are often confused with YJs, but paper wasps build those nests where the bottom's all open, like the kind you see hanging from a short, thin shaft under the eve of your house. You'll often see them chewing on wood because they make the nest material from chewed wood and saliva. And from my understanding, a hornet's nest looks like a bee's nest, where it's enclosed and with a little hole in the bottom. But they're all in the same suborder, which includes bees and ants, too. If you're confused, don't be. I've done a ton of research on these fuckers and it's really difficult to keep straight... or generalize.

I know one thing, tho. I've only ever been stung by a wasp or a hornet once, a mud dauber, and that was because I didn't see him and accidentally trapped him under my hand. He stung me in my palm and I rubbed an ice cube over the spot until it melted (ice is great for bee stings). I did that twice and my hand still throbbed! Otherwise, wasps have never bothered me.

I had a summer job at a golf course one year and had to replace some of the sand in a bunker. When I started shoveling sand into a wagon, I accidentally dug up a yellow jacket nest. It wasn't that big, thankfully. It was only about as big as a sandwich plate, if that big. Still, I took off as soon as I saw it and one or two YJs flying around. I must've run close to 100 yards away before I realized I hadn't gotten stung. I slowly walked back toward it and stopped about 20 feet away. It looked like there were about 30 of them hovering around their nest. I walked back to the superintendent's office and told him about it. I never went near that sand pile again. lol

I also saw on some show where an entomologist demonstrated the difference between regular bees and Africanized bees (aka killer bees). He was wearing a bee suit and disturbed their nests. The regular bees attacked him and continued until he got some distance away. I can't remember exactly, but it wasn't that far. The killer bees continued attacking him until he was around a quarter mile away!

Last story: My aunt & uncle used to live in southern Mississippi. My cousin told me he was mowing the grass on a riding mower when he ran over a nest of fire ants. The next thing he knew, there were dozens of them crawling on him and stinging him. Even after he ran away, they were still crawling all over the mower for some time afterward; I don't remember how long. One of his brothers waited until dark to put the mower back in the garage because none of them wanted to go near it before then. I'll bet you have plenty of those in east TX.

I do have trouble with fire ants. It sometimes can be hard to see their nest or them walking around in the yard. I'm good about disturbing or getting into their nest about once a year. They sting pretty good for such a tiny insect, but I generally find them in time to brush them off, get out of their way, etc. Evidently I'm not allergic to them. But yes, what a pest. They'll generally want to build mounds in my yard with I'll put out poison for, but they'll move and are hard to get rid of.

I didn't know mud daubers stung--that's news to me. I was always told, evidently mistakenly that they don't. I assume they aren't aggressive, so people assume that. But yeah, we have all kinds of spiders, and stinging wasp here. Snakes too, which I don't like either as I can't tell them apart, not that I'd want to, I avoid them. However, I raise my storage unit one day and one reared up when the door was opened. It may have crawled in there when I was mowing and I didn't know it. Freaked me out, but thankfully it didn't appear to be aggressive, and it finally crawled out. But I have to put the door down on my garage door as I've they'll want to crawl in there during the summer months when they are active, and they can be a pain to get out.
    It's a big change in fauna going from W. Texas to E. Texas. West Tx didn't have much in that way to worry about except scorpions occasionally.

Anyone started watching Witcher yet?
    Ian

I didn't know mud daubers stung--that's news to me.
    As far as I know, all wasps can sting (bumble bees, too). Where I used to live, there were a lot of mud daubers around and you'd often find their tube nests in strange places. One summer, I left my garage door up and my driver side window down in my car. In less than a day, a mud dauber built 2 tubes on the head restraint in my car, the long ones each about 8 inches.

I watch Kings of Pain and enjoy it. The only reason I knew about it is because I also watch The Curse of Oak Island which comes on before. (hey don't judge! I'm a treasure hunting fan and dig the backstory ) The dudes getting stung on KoP are entertaining and not over the top, corny like the Brave Wilderness dude on YT. Some of these insects/animals are insanely frightening!

Bees that pollinate I can tolerate being stung by, but assholes like yellow jackets? Fuck them. With the work that I do, I have been stung by pretty much every bee in the northeast US at one time or another
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Anyone started watching Witcher yet?
    I watched the first two episodes last night. I'm interested. Seems a little on the cheesy side, but that's always ok in my book...to a point!

I heard the Witcher was supposed to get better after about the first couple of episodes. I was curious about The Watchman series as well. Amazon has the fourth season of The Expanse up and running, but I haven't watched it as I want to rewatch Season Three.

I don't know what I just watched, other than the title: Mr. Robot.

I tried to keep up, but I lost it.

I'll put it up there with Breaking Bad as one of the greatest TV shows ever and I have no clue what just happened.

Can't say squat, spoilers and all those jazz hands. Even if I did, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Something amazing happened and I will have to watch many times to understand what happened.

ETA: For stupid line and to add this: It's the best use of Styx Mr. Roboto ever in film or television.

Been reading a few pages of fan boards and I'm still confused but whatever happened was beautiful. So many ways it can be construed yet it wasn't LOST which, quite frankly, was a very lousy ending to a show.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 12-23-2019 at 07:23 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...I also watch The Curse of Oak Island which comes on before. (hey don't judge! I'm a treasure hunting fan and dig the backstory )
    I DVR that. My GF laughs at me. "What are they NOT going to find this week?" I'm still in.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I DVR that. My GF laughs at me. "What are they NOT going to find this week?" I'm still in.
    it's so true! I like that they're finding structures and shit though at least and I always get a little tingly when Gary hits areas with his metal detector Dude...the amount of money they must be spending on all that machinery must be INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    it's so true! I like that they're finding structures and shit though at least and I always get a little tingly when Gary hits areas with his metal detector Dude...the amount of money they must be spending on all that machinery must be INSANE!
    I don't watch every episode, but have watched many and there is something about it that is addicting. I have no Illusions that they will ever actually find anything, but it is fun to watch.