Thread: Current fav US TV series

And now there's a trailer:

"Despite some story tweaks, the filmmakers remain true to the video game..." (Just Watch)

"Set photos were released showing the incredible accuracy with which the filming team were recreating scenes from the video game." (ScreenRant)

If this show is half as good as the video game, it'll be 10x better than The Walking Dead.
    I always like going south. Somehow, it feels like going downhill.. – Fangorn

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We are trying to figure out what to watch next. Been curious about the Netflix series "Shadow And Bone". Anyone seen it and if so what did you think?
    I'm starting season two of Industry on HBOMax. Intense investment banking drama. High on sex/nudity, drugs and partying, hostile work environment, pressure selling, and devious workplace.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I'm starting season two of Industry on HBOMax. Intense investment banking drama. High on sex/nudity, drugs and partying, hostile work environment, pressure selling, and devious workplace.
    I should really watch it but I feel I'll find noone likeable.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I have been curious about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    And now there's a trailer:

"Despite some story tweaks, the filmmakers remain true to the video game..." (Just Watch)

"Set photos were released showing the incredible accuracy with which the filming team were recreating scenes from the video game." (ScreenRant)

If this show is half as good as the video game, it'll be 10x better than The Walking Dead.
    Very interested in this one
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I should really watch it but I feel I'll find noone likeable.
    Exactly my thoughts on this one
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Peripheral on Prime looks like it might be very good. Coming October 21.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Peripheral on Prime looks like it might be very good. Coming October 21.
    Just saw a preview for that. Definitely interested.

We just finished Archive 81, on Netflix. Really enjoyed. Great creepy vibe, love the spin on the found footage thing. But a shame that it's only one season (damn you, Netflix!). They obviously have more story to tell.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We just finished Archive 81, on Netflix. Really enjoyed. Great creepy vibe, love the spin on the found footage thing. But a shame that it's only one season (damn you, Netflix!). They obviously have more story to tell.
    I really liked this one too. A little confusing at times, but that constant feeling of dread had me locked in.

We finished “Dahmer” last night on Netflix. To be honest, when I heard there was a new Dahmer show coming I was not very enthusiastic about it, since it is a subject that has already been done to death in shows and documentaries. But, when I saw who was in the cast I knew I had to watch it. I am a huge Evan Peters fan and will watch everything he is in and he is indeed great in this show playing the main character. Richard Jenkins playing Dahmer’s father should get an Emmy nomination he is that good in this role. Molly Ringwald, Niecy Nash, and Michael Learned are all excellent as well. I liked the way this show focused not only on Dahmer, but also on his family, victims, and neighbors. There were almost entire episodes devoted to victims and their stories. The show also does not exploit Dahmer’s deeds. Yes it is there, but not the focus of the show. Overall, I really enjoyed this mini-series and thought it was very well done. Recommended.

We finished “Dahmer” last night on Netflix.
    I had a similar reaction wrt not wanting to see it.

I only know Evan Peters from the first couple of seasons of American Horror Story. He certainly held his own against the likes of Jessica Lange, Connie Britton, Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe, James Cromwell, et al.

Richard Jenkins has been in a lot of stuff and is always excellent, coming across very natural. The last thing I saw him in was Epix's Berlin Station. And, yes, he's excellent in that, too. That's a great show, btw.

Michael Learned is still alive???

Speaking of limited series, I heard a review by David Bianculli on NPR of a new show on Paramount called 11 Minutes. It's a 4 part, 3¼ hour docuseries about the Las Vegas mass shooting.

"Through emotional first-hand accounts, 11 Minutes immerses viewers in the largest mass shooting in U.S. history, telling stories of courage and survival." (Paramount)

Excerpts from the review:

11 Minutes takes a notably different approach... There's no host, no narrator and, for the first two hours, virtually no footage from TV news stations. Instead, the story is told by interviews with survivors of the event, people who were there as musicians, fans, police, paramedics, nurses, doctors and so on. And it's told mostly through cellphone videos and police body cams, images taken by people in the midst of the drama, as it was happening.
    It takes most of the first hour of the program before on location police radio reports begin identifying the source of the gunfire. From there, it only gets more tense and more frantic, but not more graphic. Surprisingly, this documentary is not gruesome. The visuals are selected and edited very judiciously. But you're thrown into the action and the pandemonium anyway as the circumstances and the stories get more emotional.
    Recording artist Dee Jay Silver was on stage moments before the first shots rang out.

Dee Jay Silver: My wife, Jenna, she's worried about Wake, our baby. I said, "girl, Wake is in the Mandalay Bay. He's in the safest place in the entire planet Earth." Then, I got a text message asking me if I was in my room. And I said, "no, I'm down here with Jenna. What's up?" And they said my kid's on the same floor as the shooter. My kid's with our babysitter next door to the shooter. The shooter had every room around us except the two that we had. I couldn't breathe, you know? The only reason they were there is 'cause I brought them.
    Ultimately, 11 Minutes is a testament to bravery and commitment and empathy. Fred Rogers, when discussing times of tragedy, used to quote his mother, who said, "always look for the helpers." That's just what this four-part documentary does beautifully. And intentionally, it doesn't name the shooter...

I'm putting this on my watch list.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I had a similar reaction wrt not wanting to see it.

I only know Evan Peters from the first couple of seasons of American Horror Story. He certainly held his own against the likes of Jessica Lange, Connie Britton, Sarah Paulson, Lily Rabe, James Cromwell, et al.

Richard Jenkins has been in a lot of stuff and is always excellent, coming across very natural. The last thing I saw him in was Epix's Berlin Station. And, yes, he's excellent in that, too. That's a great show, btw.

Michael Learned is still alive???
    If you never seen "Mare Of Eastown", Peters is excellent in it. Plus it is just a great show.

Regarding Learned, yes she is still alive and is great as Dalmer's grandmother.

If you never seen "Mare Of Eastown", Peters is excellent in it. Plus it is just a great show.
    Seconded.

*Loved* Mare Of Eastown.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Yes that was a great show. Kate Winslett was fucking awesome in it

Curious about this

BLOCKBUSTER

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16124614/

Randall Park JB Smoove and some others in a show about people who work at a Blockbuster Video store.

Can't find a Trailer, but it premieres on Netflix on November 3rd.

Well...I feel obligated to finish off this last half of The Walking Dead having sat through it all.

Please keep me in your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Well...I feel obligated to finish off this last half of The Walking Dead having sat through it all.

Me too.

Tots and pears, gentlemen. At least you can see the new Interview with a Vampire after the Walking Dumb.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

I'll be right there beside ya.
    <sig out of order>

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Anyone else catch Molly Ringwald in Dahmer?? She was the stepmom. This show was insane. Funny, as soon as I saw Evan Peters, I wondered if Ryan Murphy (AHS creator) was involved...sure enough...
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Anyone else catch Molly Ringwald in Dahmer?? She was the stepmom. This show was insane. Funny, as soon as I saw Evan Peters, I wondered if Ryan Murphy (AHS creator) was involved...sure enough...
    See my comments in #6560. I would not have even recognized her if I did not know she was in the cast. I thought she did a really nice job.

We watched the premiere of the Interview with the Vampire series on AMC. Wow, a real lush production and the narration really captures Rice's ornate prose. BUT, those who got upset up black elves on Rings of Power are likely going to rage shit their diapers over some of the changes the new version makes.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    BUT, those who got upset up black elves on Rings of Power are likely going to rage shit their diapers over some of the changes the new version makes.
    Awesome.