Thread: Current fav US TV series

For those of you with HBO Max, check out the animated show Rick & Morty. I've seen references to this show dozens of times over the past few years and finally decided to watch an episode or two a couple days ago. I'm now up to S3 Ep5 (season 5 premiered last month and should be available on demand). What I never realized is that it's part of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. Had I known that, I would have checked it out a lot sooner.

Here's the premise:

The show revolves around the adventures of the members of the Smith household, which consists of parents Jerry (Chris Parnell) and Beth (Sarah Chalke), their children Summer and Morty, and Beth's father, Rick Sanchez, who lives with them as a guest. The adventures of Rick and Morty take place across an infinite number of realities, with the characters traveling to other planets and dimensions through portals and Rick's flying car.

Rick is an eccentric and alcoholic mad scientist who eschews many ordinary conventions such as school, marriage, love, and family. He frequently goes on adventures with his 14-year-old grandson, Morty, a kind-hearted but easily distressed boy, whose nave but grounded moral compass plays counterpoint to Rick's Machiavellian ego. (Wikipedia)

Rick is described in one episode as the most intelligent mammal in the universe. He must be, considering all the super cool gadgets he's invented. He's also pretty amoral and a bit of a nihilist. His grandson Morty is a milquetoast but "rises to the occasion" in several episodes when he sloughs off his morality. The show does descend into toilet humor on occasion but it's not overwhelmed by that, otherwise I wouldn't watch it.

All I can say is this show is fucking awesome. How awesome? These are the scores for the first four seasons on Rotten Tomatoes: 96%, 91%, 96%, and 94%. Season five has a 100% rating, so far.

My favorite animated shows are The Venture Bros (before it took a weird turn in season 3; season 2, however, is one of the best of any show, ever), Family Guy, Futurama, Archer, and Ren & Stimpy (before it devolved into a vehicle for gross out jokes). For me, Rick & Morty has risen to the top.

Edit: just discovered it won the Emmy for best animated show in 2018 & 2020.
    Last edited by Hal...; 1 Week Ago at 12:56 PM.
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

I'll have to give Rick & Morty a try. I've heard a lot of praise.

We just finished up Good Omens on Amazon. If you are not familiar with it, the six episode series is based on a book written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The Antichrist is to be swapped with the child of the US ambassador, where demonic forces will sway the child's development for eleven years until he takes charge of Hell's armies in the world-ending Armageddon. Except the bumbling satanic nuns botch the switch and the Antichrist has a normal childhood in a small English village. A demon and an angel, who have been on the Earth for six thousand years, are quite fond of the way things are and decide it might be best if Armageddon is avoided but they don't know where the Antichrist is. Hilarity ensues. The humor is very British and often a little twee but damn, there's some awesome belly laughs. And blasphemy. The casting is perfect, especially the angel Aziraphale (Michael Sheen) and the demon Crowley (David Tennant).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Dr. Death on Peacock. Based on the true story of Christian Duntsch. Kept us engaged enough to binge the entire offering in one sitting. The 3 main actors (Alec Baldwin, Cristian Slater, and Joshua Jackson) are outstanding here. I was really impressed with Slater, who provided some much needed comic relief as a surgeon who says it like it is. The story time-jumps a lot, so you need to pay attention. Recommended.

8 out of 10 herniated disks.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It was my wife's pick on what to watch next so we started on the Sci Fi series "The 4400". Just started season 2. So far it is not blowing me away, but I like it ok. It definitely has a "Network" show type feel to it.
    I was royally pissed when it got canceled. That and the similar show Alphas, also on SyFy and/or USA networks.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'll have to give Rick & Morty a try. I've heard a lot of praise.
    I think you'll like this show. Altho, I'd give it 3 or 4 episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We just finished up Good Omens on Amazon.
    That sounds right up my alley! And if you liked that, I would suggest Preacher, the most awesomely fucked up show I've ever seen. It's on Hulu but you don't have it, do you? I actually got the last season from my library, so there's that possibility.
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

The commercial on intergalactic television for a Plumbus in R&M is one of my favorite scenes. Morty actually has one hanging in his bedroom.

Dinglebop. Shleem. Grumbo. Fleeb. Schlami. Hizzards. Blamphs. Chumbles. Plubus. Grumbo. The greatest mix of made up words, ever.

Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    For those of you with HBO Max, check out the animated show Rick & Morty. I've seen references to this show dozens of times over the past few years and finally decided to watch an episode or two a couple days ago. I'm now up to S3 Ep5 (season 5 premiered last month and should be available on demand). What I never realized is that it's part of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. Had I known that, I would have checked it out a lot sooner.

Here's the premise:

The show revolves around the adventures of the members of the Smith household, which consists of parents Jerry (Chris Parnell) and Beth (Sarah Chalke), their children Summer and Morty, and Beth's father, Rick Sanchez, who lives with them as a guest. The adventures of Rick and Morty take place across an infinite number of realities, with the characters traveling to other planets and dimensions through portals and Rick's flying car.

Rick is an eccentric and alcoholic mad scientist who eschews many ordinary conventions such as school, marriage, love, and family. He frequently goes on adventures with his 14-year-old grandson, Morty, a kind-hearted but easily distressed boy, whose nave but grounded moral compass plays counterpoint to Rick's Machiavellian ego. (Wikipedia)

Rick is described in one episode as the most intelligent mammal in the universe. He must be, considering all the super cool gadgets he's invented. He's also pretty amoral and a bit of a nihilist. His grandson Morty is a milquetoast but "rises to the occasion" in several episodes when he sloughs off his morality. The show does descend into toilet humor on occasion but it's not overwhelmed by that, otherwise I wouldn't watch it.

All I can say is this show is fucking awesome. How awesome? These are the scores for the first four seasons on Rotten Tomatoes: 96%, 91%, 96%, and 94%. Season five has a 100% rating, so far.

My favorite animated shows are The Venture Bros (before it took a weird turn in season 3; season 2, however, is one of the best of any show, ever), Family Guy, Futurama, Archer, and Ren & Stimpy (before it devolved into a vehicle for gross out jokes). For me, Rick & Morty has risen to the top.

Edit: just discovered it won the Emmy for best animated show in 2018 & 2020.
    I have only seen episodes here and there, but a much younger guy that I used to work with turned me on to this show. I agree it is very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I was royally pissed when it got canceled. That and the similar show Alphas, also on SyFy and/or USA networks.
    So did they end it or leave it hanging?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    So did they end it or leave it hanging?
    Nothing was left hanging. The writers likely saw the handwriting on the wall. Beyond that, I won't spoil it for you.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Nothing was left hanging. The writers likely saw the handwriting on the wall. Beyond that, I won't spoil it for you.

Just finished the McCartney 321 series on Hulu last night. I've of course heard of Rick Rubin but don't know much about him other than the info I gleaned from a relatively shallow Wiki-dive last night. He makes an excellent foil for McCartney, though. I was surprised at the level of music-geekiness on display for such a major undertaking, but as a music geek myself thoroughly enjoyed the journeys through the multitracks and musical decisions made by the lads and George Martin; I heard several things that I'd never noticed before, and more than a couple that I don't think anyone has heard before this. The joy on Rubin's face at several points is genuine, and I'm sure is a direct result of being put in a position to sit with Sir Paul and basically shoot the breeze with him while digging into many of the songs that are such a deep part of the fabric of our culture. McCartney himself still seems ageless, and while I've always considered him at or near the top of the list of GOAT for both bass and writing, the series left me with the desire to dive into his catalog yet again. I thought the production was really excellent, the set striking, and the use of b/w for the interview sections an inspired choice, bringing the color archival footage into even sharper relief. I laughed many times, and had tears in my eyes more than once. Highly recommended!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

^ I just noticed that show last night and my curiosity is definitely piqued. Unfortunately, I still can't get Hulu to play on my Fire Stick! And everything I've seen online about it indicates each side blames the other. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Just finished the McCartney 321 series on Hulu last night. I've of course heard of Rick Rubin but don't know much about him other than the info I gleaned from a relatively shallow Wiki-dive last night. He makes an excellent foil for McCartney, though. I was surprised at the level of music-geekiness on display for such a major undertaking, but as a music geek myself thoroughly enjoyed the journeys through the multitracks and musical decisions made by the lads and George Martin; I heard several things that I'd never noticed before, and more than a couple that I don't think anyone has heard before this. The joy on Rubin's face at several points is genuine, and I'm sure is a direct result of being put in a position to sit with Sir Paul and basically shoot the breeze with him while digging into many of the songs that are such a deep part of the fabric of our culture. McCartney himself still seems ageless, and while I've always considered him at or near the top of the list of GOAT for both bass and writing, the series left me with the desire to dive into his catalog yet again. I thought the production was really excellent, the set striking, and the use of b/w for the interview sections an inspired choice, bringing the color archival footage into even sharper relief. I laughed many times, and had tears in my eyes more than once. Highly recommended!
    Time for a free membership. How long is the series? Just thinking if the subscription needs to be purchased after the free trial.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    We finished watching The Queen's Gambit. Who would have thought the topic of chess could be so engrossing and exciting? We loved it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    We finished watching The Queen's Gambit. Who would have thought the topic of chess could be so engrossing and exciting? We loved it.
    It was engaging
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

>grumpily< It's not as good as the book by Walter Tevis it's based on.

You kids get off my lawn!
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Time for a free membership. How long is the series? Just thinking if the subscription needs to be purchased after the free trial.
    Six short episodes, which is nice for binging, but really left me wanting more.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    One of the best things I have seen in a long time.

We've watched most of what has been listed here, either to the end or abandoned because it just didn't suit us. We just closed out Mozart in the Jungle and the Handmaids Tale this past month. Enjoying the last season of Virgin River but the others we are watching don't bear a mention. Need to find another great series soon on Netflix or Amazon or Hulu.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Dunno if anybody has caught the first two episodes of "The White Lotus" on HBO. It's kind of a strange show about an expensive Hawaiian resort and how the staff deals with the mostly spoiled, demanding clientele. Most of the characters are pretty unlikable, but it's grabbed my attention. It's got that "Where is this going, how's it going to end?" kind of quality. The second episode really starts to ramp up the drama. Stars Steve Zahn, who I have liked since That Thing You Do! and the magnificent Alexandra Daddario, among others.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Dunno if anybody has caught the first two episodes of "The White Lotus" on HBO. It's kind of a strange show about an expensive Hawaiian resort and how the staff deals with the mostly spoiled, demanding clientele. Most of the characters are pretty unlikable, but it's grabbed my attention. It's got that "Where is this going, how's it going to end?" kind of quality. The second episode really starts to ramp up the drama. Stars Steve Zahn, who I have liked since That Thing You Do! and the magnificent Alexandra Daddario, among others.
    We watched the first episode so far. My wife liked it a lot, I found it a bit draggy. Good to hear it ramps up in ep.2, I'll stick with it.

Enjoying season 4 of Unforgotten as always. Very good police drama. But even though I watch so much British TV, I still need captions whenever a character has a thick London accent. It just sounds like mumbling to me and I can't understand their lingo or slang. Other areas of the UK are much easier for me, oddly enough.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I need Unforgotten to show up on a platform I use. It's a great show.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I need Unforgotten to show up on a platform I use. It's a great show.
    You should be able to watch it on Masterpiece on PBS, that's how it airs up here.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You should be able to watch it on Masterpiece on PBS, that's how it airs up here.
    Yeah, I don't subscribe to PBS Masterpiece here, I'll wait for the series to finish then binge watch it on a free trial.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yeah, I don't subscribe to PBS Masterpiece here, I'll wait for the series to finish then binge watch it on a free trial.
    I meant the actual PBS channel, don't you get that? It's just part of our cable, nothing I have to subscribe to.