Page 181 of 330 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231281 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

It's had a fantastic tone and pace all the way through, and I'm anxious to see the end on Sunday. I'm just not sure how Guy Pearce's character fits in to all of it. You'd think he would be more integral to the plot somehow.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's had a fantastic tone and pace all the way through, and I'm anxious to see the end on Sunday. I'm just not sure how Guy Pearce's character fits in to all of it. You'd think he would be more integral to the plot somehow.
    Someone suggested that his role is very similar to that of Siobhan's girlfriend - just a peripheral character that helps define a main character.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Best short series since Sharp Objects.
    Sharp Objects was sooo good.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Sharp Objects was sooo good.
    Agree, that was a great one.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I mentioned The Hunters on Prime a few pages back. Anyone seen it? It's excellent if you want to watch nazi hunters in NYC in the 1970s with Al Pacino.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I mentioned The Hunters on Prime a few pages back. Anyone seen it? It's excellent if you want to watch nazi hunters in NYC in the 1970s with Al Pacino.
    I keep looking at it when we're trying to find something to watch. I'll have to bump it up on the list.

Anyone have any thoughts or theories on Mare of Easttown before the big finale this Sunday?
    I won't theorize, but we've really been enjoying it and the acting is great.
    <sig out of order>

We watched the finale tonight. It's just one gut punch after another. Wow. I'll post again in a spoiler font color because man, there is just such a ridiculous amount to unpack.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We watched the finale tonight. It's just one gut punch after another. Wow. I'll post again in a spoiler font color because man, there is just such a ridiculous amount to unpack.
    Yeah, they tried to put a bit of a positive, happy spin on things, but it's pretty bleak.

Yeah, they tried to put a bit of a positive, happy spin on things, but it's pretty bleak.
    Ryan did seem to be...normal during that visit with his mom and sisters. The insane pressure that his dad put him under is gone. That's one bright spot. I did notice that they laid the groundwork for it being him, both in his behavior and the Mare's endless calls about the Carroll's security camera. The look on Winslet's face when she comes to arrest him is an automatic Emmy nomination
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It was very good
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I watched the first season of Mindhunter a few years ago. The wife and I just tuned into season two this week. A slow burn on the first episode to build what is left to come.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I watched the first season of Mindhunter a few years ago. The wife and I just tuned into season two this week. A slow burn on the first episode to build what is left to come.
    I thought the 2nd season was quite a bit better than the first. Too bad there will not be a season 3.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Too bad there will not be a season 3.
    Such a disappointment.

Definitely echoing the love for Mare of Eastown. Finished it last night. Love the bleak, small town vibe and Damn Kate Winslett was pretty awesome here. All the acting was pretty awesome actually. Great show with some nice twists and turns.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Cobra Kai on Netflix. I really had no interest in this. To begin with, I never thought The Karate Kid was all that. But my brother kinda went on and on about how good this show is. We agree on movies & shows maybe 50% of the time and I don't fully trust his opinions. For instance, he didn't care for Silence of the Lambs and thought Manhunter was a much better movie. I felt the opposite. It was SotL, btw, that swept the "Big Five" Oscars (picture, director, actor, actress, and screenplay), only the third time that has ever happened (the first two were It Happened One Night and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). I'll let that speak for itself. OTOH, he did recommend The Usual Suspects and Gone Girl, both of which I really enjoyed. But he didn't like the original Manchurian Candidate nor The Gods Must Be Crazy, which I recommended to him. How TF can someone not like TGMBC??? It played in some theaters around the country for over a year!

Anyway, I figured I'd check it out. I ended up bingeing it in two or three days. I was surprised at how well-written the first season was. The second and third weren't quite as good but I was so caught up in the story arc I had to finish it. A fourth season is coming.

The Morning Show. This is the show on Apple TV that stars Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon as anchors on a network morning news show. Steve Carell plays the disgraced former anchor fired for sexual misconduct, much like Matt Lauer was. Indeed, there's even an allusion to Lauer.

Four episodes in and I'm really impressed. It reminds me a lot of the high quality Aaron Sorkin shows like Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and The Newsroom. This show, however, was created by Jay Carson who previously worked as a supervising producer and political consultant on House of Cards.

Aniston and Witherspoon are sensational in it.

How I Met Your Mother. I used to watch this show when it was first on. It was never a ratings juggernaut so it always kinda flew under the radar, usually ranking in the 40s. How it lasted nine seasons is a bit of a mystery to me. A couple weeks ago, I started watching it again on Prime because I missed a lot of episodes the last few seasons. I'm not sure why it never got higher ratings. I always thought (and still think) it was one of the better sitcoms of the 21st century.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Been watching Sweet Tooth on Netflix. Fairly well told story so far even if the premise seems right out of a latter-day M. Night Shamalan movie.

My daughter raves about the recent Marvel and Star Wars franchise offerings on the Disney thing but I think I'm done with those. Too much good fantasy and science fiction literature out there that has yet to see a TV or movie screen adaptation for Hollywood to keep rehashing and rebooting the same franchises over and over.

And would one of these subscription networks do The Talisman already?! Damn!

Alone on the History Channel has started a new season. The second episode drops tonight. Beautiful scenery, but I like seeing how people survive out in the wilderness too.
    Last edited by hippypants; 06-10-2021 at 03:20 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Episode one of Loki was quite fun.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The Good Doctor - My wife likes it but I find it cliched.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'll be checking this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    How I Met Your Mother. I used to watch this show when it was first on. It was never a ratings juggernaut so it always kinda flew under the radar, usually ranking in the 40s. How it lasted nine seasons is a bit of a mystery to me. A couple weeks ago, I started watching it again on Prime because I missed a lot of episodes the last few seasons. I'm not sure why it never got higher ratings. I always thought (and still think) it was one of the better sitcoms of the 21st century.
    All the scenes where the main character is talking to his future kids were taped before any of the actual episodes. Had the series been canceled, that would've been for not.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yeah - it really sets up an interesting journey for that character and the chemistry between the two leads was great.

I finished The Morning Show last night. The last episode was really good, with some Machiavellian maneuvering (I love that shit!). But what really hit the episode out of the park was how emotionally satisfying it was, especially the last 30 minutes. As soon as I finished it, I watched it again.

The show is so well-acted and well-written. As I said the other day, it reminds me a lot of an Aaron Sorkin show.

Here's the premise: Alex Levy (Jennifer Aniston) anchors The Morning Show, a network morning news program. After her on-air partner of 15 years, Mitch Kessler (Steve Carell), is fired for sexual misconduct, Alex fights to retain her job as top news anchor while sparking a rivalry with Bradley Jackson (Reese Witherspoon), a haphazard field reporter brought to the network by the recently appointed news division chief, Cory Ellison (Billy Crudup). The Me Too movement is the backdrop of the first season.

Nothing is quite as simple as I just made it seem, however.

-----

It got me to wondering: what other shows feature office politics or Machiavellian characters and double crosses and power games? I'm a big fan of the movie Dangerous Liaisons, with Glenn Close and John Malkovich.

I seem to recall someone mentioned a long time ago the show Domina, about Caesar's widow coming to power. And then there was Rome, which I think was on HBO, but I don't remember anything about it.

Any other shows?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Anyone watching Tim Roth in Tin Star on Prime. I started it because I like Roth. He's good in this and it's a pretty good watch so far , 7 episodes in.
    Also , Hacks , on HBOMax . Very good comedy / drama.