Page 167 of 330 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217267 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Another one I need to check out as I read the book. It is on Amazon Prime if I remember right?
    We watched it on Hulu.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Clarice - CBS - Yeah, that Clarice. Cool so far. Probably get cancelled like Hannibal did as it's too much for network television execs.
    I'm willing to give this one more of a shot, but the pilot was hit or miss for me. A little too....heavy-handed in spots. But we'll see.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

We watched season 1 of "The Sinner" on Netflix. We really enjoyed it, full of twists and turns. As I understand it the show was originally created as an 8 episode mini-series, but it did so well, that they have filmed 2 more seasons with only Bill Pullman's character in all 3. It will be interesting to see how season 2 stacks up.

The Sinner was great, especially season one IMO. (Apart from that cringeworthy 'sister' moment - you know the one - that I still don't quite understand the purpose of.)

We watched the six-episode Two Weeks To Live and it was garbage. Good cast, but really poor writing. It had major potential in the first episode or two, but plummeted downhill quickly. Characters that you don't care about at all. Waste of time, won't be watching any further seasons of that. As an aside, I'd like to know why Maisie Williams goes for the Martin Scorsese/Groucho Marx eyebrow look.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    We watched season 1 of "The Sinner" on Netflix. We really enjoyed it, full of twists and turns. As I understand it the show was originally created as an 8 episode mini-series, but it did so well, that they have filmed 2 more seasons with only Bill Pullman's character in all 3. It will be interesting to see how season 2 stacks up.
    We're watching season 3 of The Sinner now, have to say I think season 2 and the first couple of episodes of season 3 have lived up to season 1. The villains in the show are the strong point for me ahead of Bill Pullman. The development of their backstories and history of how they got to where they are are excellent and really get you to understand if not sympathize.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Watched all 3 seasons of The Sinner. Really thought season 1 was outstanding....season 2, still excellent....season 3, IMO, utter nonsense, I can't believe it's the same series.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Another one I need to check out as I read the book. It is on Amazon Prime if I remember right?
    I saw it about 3 or 4 years ago but can't remember where. I would swear, tho, that I saw it listed on Netflix later. It is on Amazon, now, but is going to cost you as it's no longer free: $16 for the season. On the free service Vudu it's only $15.

Elisa Lam, wow, hadn't thought of her in a while. If the details were as they were, that's one wild and creepy tail. Probably Occam's razor will win out one day and it will be something mundane but I have no clue about what really happened to her.
    So watch the miniseries. It's all explained.

Resident Alien on SyFy. It's four episodes in and very funny. Alan Tudyk is the alien and he's delightful. Just watching him try to use his new human body is worth the price of admission.
    I am loving this show. His comment about rigor mortis and how a part of him was dying was hilarious.

Clarice - CBS - Yeah, that Clarice. Cool so far. Probably get cancelled like Hannibal did as it's too much for network television execs.
    I have the first two episodes recorded but haven't gotten around to watching it, yet.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

EDITED with spoilers removed, as my recollection was refreshed:

After initially cancelling Hannibal, NBC brought it back in the summer, to conclude the season. Then several seasons followed during the next few summers. The final season reprised the Francis Dolarhyde story line of the 80s movie Manhunter, and more recent movie Red Dragon.

What presumably made Hannibal hard for most to watch was the weird imagery...a trip inside Lecter's mind, Will Graham's mind as he profiled Lecter, and the minds of Lecter's "therapy" vicitims. Clarice has dialed that weird imagery way back, so maybe it will last longer during regular seasonal programming.
    Last edited by progmatist; 02-19-2021 at 04:10 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The Sinner was great, especially season one IMO. (Apart from that cringeworthy 'sister' moment - you know the one - that I still don't quite understand the purpose of.)
    I thought the same thing. It was like they just put it in the show for shock value and it served no real purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Watched all 3 seasons of The Sinner. Really thought season 1 was outstanding....season 2, still excellent....season 3, IMO, utter nonsense, I can't believe it's the same series.
    I saw on Rotten Tomatoes season 3 audience score is only a 49 compared to the other seasons getting excellent ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    We're watching season 3 of The Sinner now, have to say I think season 2 and the first couple of episodes of season 3 have lived up to season 1. The villains in the show are the strong point for me ahead of Bill Pullman. The development of their backstories and history of how they got to where they are are excellent and really get you to understand if not sympathize.
    We are probably going to start season 2 later tonight.

I saw on Rotten Tomatoes season 3 audience score is only a 49 compared to the other seasons getting excellent ratings.
    I would have thought that 49 was too high, unless you're counting it out of 1000....If you tell someone to give it a pass, they'll watch it out of curiosity, me included.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I would have thought that 49 was too high, unless you're counting it out of 1000....If you tell someone to give it a pass, they'll watch it out of curiosity, me included.
    We got a few episodes into season 2 tonight, and so far I think it is excellent. Carrie Coon is such an incredible actress. We will check out season 3 when we get there and give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm willing to give this one more of a shot, but the pilot was hit or miss for me. A little too....heavy-handed in spots. But we'll see.
    Yep. It suffers from Broadcast TV Writers' Syndrome. I thought it did redeem itself the last 5 minutes, tho.

So then I started episode 2. Five minutes in and I now really hate Michael Cudlitz's character (I only really disliked him, before). He annoys me so much, in fact, that I took an hour break to goof off on Facebook and PE. I'll see if I can finish it tonight.

I like the actress who plays Clarice, tho. She reminds me of a cross between Jodie Foster and Elliot (formerly Ellen) Page.
    Last edited by Hal...; 02-20-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I enjoyed all three seasons of The Sinner.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    and Ellen Page.
    Elliot
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Elliot
    Ooos. Forgot.

Having just gotten Prime I watched Season 1 first episode of the scifi series The Expanse. The production value is pretty good. Is this worth the time investment?
    I noticed the idea of the belters having elongated limbs due to weghtlessness was lifted right out of Larry Niven's , Known Worlds series. Other ideas to.

It is worth the time. First TV science fiction that really tries to get some science right. The network insisted that there be a little engine noise in outer space but other than that, they pretty much get the science right. First season is a little slow but the pace improves.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Having just gotten Prime
    Man, there is just so much quality stuff on Prime. Some really great series (IMHO) there.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Expanse is outstanding, stick with it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Man, there is just so much quality stuff on Prime. Some really great series (IMHO) there.
    Agreed. The video content alone is worth the price of Prime. The free shipping is gravy.

The Expanse is one of the best shows ever. Epic. It's not called The Expanse for nothing. The most recent season was excellent.

We burned through the rest of season 2 of "The Sinner" tonight. I thought it was a slight step down from season 1, but still very good. Slight spoiler ahead, so don't scroll down if you don't want to see them.

My wife and I both thought they didn’t quite justify the kid’s motivation for the killings as well as they did the killing in season one. I mean they kind of explained it, but it was still kind of a stretch that the kid would do what he did, especially when he still seemed to think they were taking him to Niagara Falls.

The other thing that bugged me a bit is they kind of didn’t really resolve the cult leader. Apparently he just decided to walk away after Carrie Coon brewed him some tea? I kept figuring he would come back into the story, or that he had been killed or something, but they just kind of left that whole plot line hanging, unless I missed something.

Other than that, I thought it was another solid season, and once again I find Coon to be an amazing actress.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Ooos. Forgot.
    Shame! You must be cancelled now
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak