Page 268 of 329 FirstFirst ... 168218258264265266267268269270271272278318 ... LastLast
Results 6,676 to 6,700 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Let me know what you think of it.
    I have a bunch of books in my que, so not sure when I will get to it, but I will post something on the "what are you currently reading" thread when I do.

Started watching the new season of "American Horror Story" last night. No Evan Peters this year, but many of the regular cast are back and 3 episodes in I am digging it.

Westworld has been cancelled. I don't have the heart to finish season 4, especially with so many other series to watch.

https://gizmodo.com/westworld-has-be...ros-1849745181
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^ I don't regret giving up on Westworld partway through season 2. I enjoyed the first season but that was enough for me. I found it too confusing as it expanded.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Westworld has been cancelled. I don't have the heart to finish season 4, especially with so many other series to watch.

Although I got frustrated with the series, since I made it this far I really wanted to see an ending. I am disappointed in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^ I don't regret giving up on Westworld partway through season 2. I enjoyed the first season but that was enough for me. I found it too confusing as it expanded.
    Exactly the same here. I made it through a couple episodes of season 2 and that was enough for me.

Finished up Cabinet of Curiosities last night. This series was a real good time. Easy favorites for me were The Viewing, Autopsy and The Murmuring. Really hope Guillermo del Toro does more seasons of this.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Finished up Cabinet of Curiosities last night. This series was a real good time. Easy favorites for me were The Viewing, Autopsy and The Murmuring. Really hope Guillermo del Toro does more seasons of this.
    I have three episodes left, which I plan on finishing this weekend. I've really enjoyed it as well. I do like a good old school horror anthology!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

A big shame. Season three was a bit piss, but I thought things improved nicely with season 4. Hopefully this will get picked up somewhere just to complete the final season.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

On a whim, I started Reboot on Hulu. Partly because I like Judy Greer, who stars in it. It's about a woman named Hannah who wants to reboot an old, corny family sitcom that was popular when she was a kid. And she wants to use the original cast, played by Greer, Keegan-Michael Key, Johnny Knoxville, and some guy I never heard of (Calum Worthy). Except now she wants to make it edgy. During her pitch meeting at Hulu, it's mentioned that her previous work was an indie movie called Cunt Saw. Your guess is as good as mine as to what that could have possibly been about.

Anyway, it turns out that Hannah's father still actually owns the rights to the show and he becomes co-showrunner, which she is very unhappy about. The father is played by Paul Reiser, who does provide quite a bit of humor, in his typical Jewish way. Hannah, btw, is played by Rachel Bloom (creator of the Emmy winning Crazy Ex-Girlfriend).

I'd give the first episode a B because I thought a few things were humorous. Just so you know, it's hard for comedies to make me actually laugh at this point in my life. But I also know shows can often take a while to hit their stride and since the humor and the tone of the show showed promise, I watched the second episode. And then the third. E2 was better than E1 and at one point I actually busted out laughing. There were also a couple of other moments that were definitely funny. E3 was as good as E2, providing a couple more genuine laughs, and with a twist ending I hoped for but didn't really expect.

I should point out a few positive things. The first is that this show has a lot of humor aimed at Hollywood (and its ego driven actors) and LA culture. The second is it skewers "wokeness". Third, there is a subtle moment of sentiment, about once an episode (or maybe I'm just getting mushy in my advancing years). Last, and certainly not least, is that the show was created by Steven Levitan, the co-creator of Modern Family. But unlike that show, this show doesn't break the fourth wall.

I will certainly keep watching.

Incidentally, I had to look up Rachel Bloom and discovered that, in addition to winning two Emmys, she also won some web award for the music video "You Can Touch My Boobies". She was also nominated for a Hugo(!) for another music video called "Fuck Me, Ray Bradbury" which, apparently, he saw and appreciated.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Although I got frustrated with the series, since I made it this far I really wanted to see an ending. I am disappointed in this.
    yeah, this is disapppointing news. The budget seemed to have a lot to do with it, but the creators had a 5-season story arc planned and we may never learn how it actually was intended to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's too bad these series don't have an end game planned beforehand. If they do pretty well, they just continue and continue until they peter out. Very few are like say, Babylon 5 with a beginning, middle, and end.

On the National Geographic channel, I was watching something called Primal Survivor. The main host was in the jungles of the Amazon walking around amazingly barefoot. He was doing a trek across it and pointing out various fauna, and critters. Granted like most shows of this ilk, it's produced, but I still find those interesting to a degree if for no other reason than just to see different parts of the world and learn something about the people in that part of the world. He was sort of like Bear Grylls, etc.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Westworld seemed big enough that I wonder if another network could possibly renew it for its last season?

What do I know? I'm still pissed off that they canceled Police Squad.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    It's too bad these series don't have an end game planned beforehand. If they do pretty well, they just continue and continue until they peter out. Very few are like say, Babylon 5 with a beginning, middle, and end.

According to the creators, they did have a five season arc preplanned from the beginning (or at least near the beginning).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

The only problem with Babylon 5 was that they rushed a bit to wrap it all up in season 4, JMS thought they would be cancelled. Then they got an encore season which was a struggle. Buffy the Vampire Slayer reached a great conclusion at the end of season five, and then again had to be revived for the middling seasons 6 and 7. And the topper in Supernatural, which was plotted to run 5 seasons and had a great bittersweet climax. And then CW called in life support. It ended up running FIFTEEN season and really only hit its groove again in #14 and 15. Grimm did five full seasons, got a 13 episode 6th season and they hit it out of the park.

(if there was ever a post that called out for GuitarGeek and JJ88, it's this one)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    According to the creators, they did have a five season arc preplanned from the beginning (or at least near the beginning).
    Yes, the next season was going to be the last which was planned from the beginning. Maybe HBO could do a movie or something like they did with "Deadwood".

Yes, the next season was going to be the last which was planned from the beginning. Maybe HBO could do a movie or something like they did with "Deadwood".
    A movie called "Westworld"? It might just work.

I hope things don't go worng
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

(if there was ever a post that called out for GuitarGeek and JJ88, it's this one)
    Hello!

I'm not really a big sci-fi guy (Doctor Who being the main exception) so I've never watched Babylon 5.

I have a lot of time for Buffy S6, even if it is a grim watch! S7 was a mixed bag but I liked it more the second time through. I'll be on my third run-through of it at some point.

I'm currently watching Twin Peaks for the first time. The first season was brilliant and I'm a few episodes into the second.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-25-2023 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    A movie called "Westworld"? It might just work.

I hope things don't go worng
    Ha, I see what you did there!

The only problem with Babylon 5 was that they rushed a bit to wrap it all up in season 4, JMS thought they would be cancelled. Then they got an encore season which was a struggle....
    Yeah, he wound up spending all his hard-earned plot points. He might have set up the telepath story of season 5 a bit better if he'd been able to start planting it in S4, but that got crowded out by the need to finish the main space opera story (and what a great finish it was). Then, because he'd already filmed the series closer for the end of S4, he had to quickly come up with an alternative and save it for the end of S5; plus, after a year without Ivanova, it felt a little weird (but in a good way) having her back -- but not Captain Lochley.

Grimm did five full seasons, got a 13 episode 6th season and they hit it out of the park.
    ...mostly. They did drop one major plot thread: the Royals just sort of disappeared from that last half-season, leaving (at least) me wondering who had succeeded to the throne after the King got shoved out of the chopper.

And, boy, what a great sentence for someone who hasn't seen the series to read
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

We watched the 4 episode “Inside Man” on Netflix. I did not really care much for it. The plot twists got ridiculous and the storyline could have been better than it was. As I saw one critic say, “people don’t act like this in real life” which pretty much sums up my thoughts. Stanley Tucci is good in his role, and it looks like this is set up for more seasons, but he is the main bright spot in this plot. Not recommended.

Started watching The Devils Hour over on Prime. I'm a couple episodes in. Kind of hard to follow, but creepy and interesting enough for me to want to keep watching...so far.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Finished Reacher on Prime (worthwhile), and finishing up Rings of Power on Amazon too (worthwhile too). I get lost somewhat with all the characters and such in Rings of Power, but overall it doesn't bother me. Overall I enjoy it, and wish there was more fantasy, and SF for that matter made. I wish someone would pick up Moorcock's champions and do something with them: Elric, Corum, Hawkmoon.

I wish they make some more Howard Conan stories as well, along with maybe some Solomon Kane stories. I'd even be up for some Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories. With the way The Rings of Power looks, which is awesome, they can do just about any type stories these days--not that they'd have to spend as much money on them as Amazon did, but they could do it on a cheaper budget. I wish someone would tackle Haldeman's Forever War. A lot of these could be one-off things or made into a shorter series--I'm thinking four/five episodes, whatever it takes as long as it isn't drug out just for the sake of making it longer.

Is there anything you'd wish they adapt into a series, film, etc.?

On the same topic, Disney+ is thinking about an Indiana Jones TV series.
    Last edited by hippypants; 11-13-2022 at 04:25 PM.

We watched the 4 episode “Inside Man” on Netflix. I did not really care much for it. The plot twists got ridiculous and the storyline could have been better than it was. As I saw one critic say, “people don’t act like this in real life” which pretty much sums up my thoughts. Stanley Tucci is good in his role, and it looks like this is set up for more seasons, but he is the main bright spot in this plot. Not recommended.
    Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

The English is a six part series on Prime, with Emily Blunt. It's a terrific western.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
    Ha, yes I went back and re-read your comments. We had a friend who watched it and liked it and told my wife about it, so she wanted to give it a try. I totally agree with you that it was a good cast that was pretty much wasted.