Thread: Current fav US TV series

Has anyone seen the docuseries 100 Foot Wave on HBO, yet? I thought it looked kind of interesting but haven't seen it and was wondering what anyone thought of it.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I meant the actual PBS channel, don't you get that? It's just part of our cable, nothing I have to subscribe to.
    I don't get PBS Masterpiece in the USA, they put on a subscription channel.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Has anyone seen the docuseries 100 Foot Wave on HBO, yet? I thought it looked kind of interesting but haven't seen it and was wondering what anyone thought of it.
    I recorded it and watched about half so far - it's great, beautiful filming.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I meant the actual PBS channel, don't you get that? It's just part of our cable, nothing I have to subscribe to.
    I don't get PBS Masterpiece in the USA, they put on a subscription channel.

The PBS streaming channel is at a minimum, a bait and switch. To access it at all, one has to make a minimum $60 "donation." I made the mistake of donating to PBS a few years ago. I found myself on the telemarketing list of every shady, fly by night charity in the US, wanting me to give them my private billing info immediately over the phone. Charities with names too similar to legitimate ones like the Make a Wish Foundation, and American Cancer Society. And of course, "charities" are exempt from the do not call registry. I finally had to change my number.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    We finished watching The Queen's Gambit. Who would have thought the topic of chess could be so engrossing and exciting? We loved it.
    I've been meaning to check that one out.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The PBS streaming channel is at a minimum, a bait and switch. To access it at all, one has to make a minimum $60 "donation." I made the mistake of donating to PBS a few years ago. I found myself on the telemarketing list of every shady, fly by night charity in the US, wanting me to give them my private billing info immediately over the phone. Charities with names too similar to legitimate ones like the Make a Wish Foundation, and American Cancer Society. And of course, "charities" are exempt from the do not call registry. I finally had to change my number.
    I've been meaning to check that one out.
    What a nightmare story! Yes, check out Queen's Gambit - you won't be disappointed.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I guess PBS is different in Canada. I've watched it since I was a kid seeing Monty Python's Flying Circus out of the Buffalo station. These days, it's a Detroit feed in HD, and you still have to put up with their begging at the beginning of each show, but once you fast-forward through that, it's fine - and they have a lot of great stuff on there. I don't know anything about their new streaming thing, I can't be bothered signing up for any more than I do already. Netflix and Prime and Britbox plus our cable package (w/HBO) is more than enough for me!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I guess PBS is different in Canada. I've watched it since I was a kid seeing Monty Python's Flying Circus out of the Buffalo station. These days, it's a Detroit feed in HD, and you still have to put up with their begging at the beginning of each show, but once you fast-forward through that, it's fine - and they have a lot of great stuff on there. I don't know anything about their new streaming thing, I can't be bothered signing up for any more than I do already. Netflix and Prime and Britbox plus our cable package (w/HBO) is more than enough for me!
    I have the PBS app on my Apple TV but it’s for most stream boxes. To get the live stream you have to set the location to where you are. It’s mostly free for recent episodes, but for archive or older stuff you need a membership called passport with a donation. My friend donated $6 and got Passport. When you set the location to other areas, more of the local shows are present. However, if you know the name, you can search for any program, produced by any affiliate.

Note that if you have cable, you can stream HBOmax for example for “free” cause you already essentially paid for it. I have ESPN on cable and the app. I get more games via the app for free. There is ESPN plus, for a subscription fee, but so don’t need it.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

I'm glad you guys brought this up about apps. I just discovered that if you download the NBC Sports app, you can watch replays of a shit ton of Olympic stuff on it. Not that I will watch much but I think there is stuff they didn't originally air. Not 100% certain of that, tho. But one thing I am certain of is that you don't need to get up at 4am or max out your DVR. You can watch it anytime you want, like on demand.

Great point.

Frak yeah, Las Vegas in da house!

The winners of Crime Scene Kitchen are from here and I'm damned proud that someone can give Vegas a good name.

I do love baking and well, cooking in general. This was some fun, though. They had to figure out what was baked in a kitchen that had many clues and some were red herrings there to throw them of.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Dunno if anybody has caught the first two episodes of "The White Lotus" on HBO. It's kind of a strange show about an expensive Hawaiian resort and how the staff deals with the mostly spoiled, demanding clientele. Most of the characters are pretty unlikable, but it's grabbed my attention. It's got that "Where is this going, how's it going to end?" kind of quality. The second episode really starts to ramp up the drama. Stars Steve Zahn, who I have liked since That Thing You Do! and the magnificent Alexandra Daddario, among others.
    They tell you what happened in the first scene of the pilot just not the how and why. Steve Zahn and his deal with his balls is so funny but he's really good at funny. Totally digging Jenifer Coolidge as she's always great. She came up with one of my favorite lines ever in A Mighty Wind about the model trains. Connie Britton totally turning on the girl about her article on her was really great. Just that turn, when someone's being nice and now turns into a bitch.

Oh, and can we kill the two teen girls off while were at it? Someone needs to slap them hard.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Frak yeah, Las Vegas in da house!

The winners of Crime Scene Kitchen are from here and I'm damned proud that someone can give Vegas a good name.

I do love baking and well, cooking in general. This was some fun, though. They had to figure out what was baked in a kitchen that had many clues and some were red herrings there to throw them of.
    I did enjoy this show, but I was not a fan of how they changed the criteria for the finale. I thought it kinda screwed the team I thought was best throughout the competition. But aside from that, it was a great concept and I do hope they bring it back for another season.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

PBS must be running out of content to air. Tonight, they start airing the Classic Albums series, starting with Queen A Night at the Opera. I'm not sure if this is a PBS wide thing, or just my local PBS station. The PBS website always redirects one to one's own local PBS station.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I'm glad you guys brought this up about apps. I just discovered that if you download the NBC Sports app, you can watch replays of a shit ton of Olympic stuff on it. Not that I will watch much but I think there is stuff they didn't originally air. Not 100% certain of that, tho. But one thing I am certain of is that you don't need to get up at 4am or max out your DVR. You can watch it anytime you want, like on demand.
    For fictional sports like WWE Wrestling, tune in to the SyFy Channel...owned by Comcast NBC.

PBS must be running out of content to air. Tonight, they start airing the Classic Albums series, starting with Queen A Night at the Opera. I'm not sure if this is a PBS wide thing, or just my local PBS station. The PBS website always redirects one to one's own local PBS station.
    I'm getting the same. I suspect that most outlets will lay low on anything great for the next 18 days while the Olympics are on.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    We finished watching The Queen's Gambit. Who would have thought the topic of chess could be so engrossing and exciting? We loved it.
    So good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm getting the same. I suspect that most outlets will lay low on anything great for the next 18 days while the Olympics are on.
    Bingo
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I have 3 PBS stations, MPT, ETA and HUT. MPT and ETA are carrying that Queen show.

PBS is running a documentary on Buddy Guy Tuesday night if anyone is interested. I think it is part of their American Masters series.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I have 3 PBS stations, MPT, ETA and HUT. MPT and ETA are carrying that Queen show.
    On a good day when atmospheric conditions are just right, I can pull in the Tucson PBS Station. They actually have 2 main channels, each with all the sub-channels which go along with a main channel.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    PBS is running a documentary on Buddy Guy Tuesday night if anyone is interested. I think it is part of their American Masters series.
    Bonus points if you watch with a snifter of courvoisier
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Friends who know my tastes have constantly told me i'd like Bosch over on Amazon Prime. I finally started it over the weekend and I'm hooked. Great cast of characters so far. Cool storylines. Lookin' forward to these 7 seasons...up to episode 6 in season 1 at the moment. Good stuff!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Check the PBS app on a streamer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Friends who know my tastes have constantly told me i'd like Bosch over on Amazon Prime. I finally started it over the weekend and I'm hooked. Great cast of characters so far. Cool storylines. Lookin' forward to these 7 seasons...up to episode 6 in season 1 at the moment. Good stuff!
    It's great. We binged five seasons very quickly though, and got a bit of burnout, so we're on some other things for now and will come back to the last couple a bit more fresh.

Did anyone see 'Us'? It's sitting on the DVR and we've been meaning to get to that one as well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Bonus points if you watch with a snifter of courvoisier

It's great. We binged five seasons very quickly though, and got a bit of burnout, so we're on some other things for now and will come back to the last couple a bit more fresh.

Did anyone see 'Us'? It's sitting on the DVR and we've been meaning to get to that one as well.
    Are you talking about "Us" the movie? If so, I saw it in the theater. I thought it was good, but not great. It certainly kept my interest all the way through, but not sure that I liked the ending. For Jordan's movies I thought "Get Out" was better.

Are you talking about "Us" the movie? If so, I saw it in the theater. I thought it was good, but not great. It certainly kept my interest all the way through, but not sure that I liked the ending. For Jordan's movies I thought "Get Out" was better.
    Ditto. I thought Get Out was much better and I didn't think that one was as great as everyone made it out to be.