Page 124 of 329 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174224 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 8222

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Sometimes I've seen messages like that, but it just meant that the version that I had was getting dropped, and I just had to update. Could that be the case here?
    Nope - No more Amazon Prime via the app on my old Panasonic TV. Same thing happening to Sony TV's. But I've got a workaround. I downloaded the amazon Prime Video app to my phone and I can stream it to my TV via Google Chromecast. Problem solved, but it is a pain in the ass.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

A friend hooked me up with his Hulu account. First binged Veronica Mars and while it was pretty good, definitely darker than what had been done before, I felt a little underwhelmed with it. Don't know why. I'm not surprised they did what they did at the end but man that was a bummer for the characters.

On to The First, a Sean Penn thing where they are trying to go to Mars. Not sure if there's going to be more of that one. Pretty good if not what I thought it was going to be.

Castle Rock was really cool if you are a hardcore Stephen King fan. Loads of references to other SK works, a bunch of gruesome deaths and of course a dead dog. Maybe not a original SK story but they did a good job with it. The title sequence has some Easter Eggs but one has to know what they are looking at to know and most of them went over my head.

Speaking of title sequences, I really dig The 100. They give it all away but since you don't know whats going on it's meaningless until later. Liking the sequence on Fear the Walking Dead this season too, even if it's only a few seconds.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

In the shameful admission dept: (I know, wrong thread)

I watched 2 classic movies this weekend that I had never seen before. Loved both of them!!

The Last Great Picture Show
    Midnight Cowboy

Obviously, I'd seen enough MC references over the years, but still didn't really know what to expect. Did NOT expect it to be so good in a cinematic way.

Same with LGPS . Had always heard about how cute and sexy Ms. Sheppard was. But it was also a wonderful piece of film...love the bleakness with which it portrayed that texas town.

Anyway, it's never too late to enjoy a classic i guess. lol

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    On Becoming A God in Central Florida--series on Showtime about a pyramid scheme similar to Amway or other such selling schemes. Kirsten Dunst plays one of the main leads that is skeptical about the rich-making product line of FAM, whereas her husband is totally sold on it. Saw the first two episodes and enjoy it.
    I just watched the 3rd episode and this show is brlliantly written imo. Dunst is killer and a (dark) laugh a minute!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Took a break from this thread because I wasn't watching much tv ...

Two shows interested me lately.

Carnival Row, on Amazon, of which I've watched the first two episodes. Set in an alternate world where the land of the Fae is being conquered by what appear to be analog-WWII-Germans, the story mainly takes place in a London-like city where many refugee Fae have gone. A lot of it is about feelings the natives have about the refugees, and what they do about it. The first episode is largely about the search for "Jack o' the Hammer," who has been brutally murdering Fae by night, one every six weeks. There's also a big plot about a fae/human couple who were separated in the war and their feelings about that.

Gravity Falls - OK, it isn't really "current", but I just watched it recently. Fairly simple animation underlying a complex story: a pair of twins are sent by their parents to spend the summer in the central Oregon town of "Gravity Falls", where really weird stuff keeps happening. Sort of like "The Bobbsey Twins meets The X-Files", only with better characters than the first and more resolution than the second.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Took a break from this thread because I wasn't watching much tv ...

Two shows interested me lately.

Carnival Row, on Amazon, of which I've watched the first two episodes. Set in an alternate world where the land of the Fae is being conquered by what appear to be analog-WWII-Germans, the story mainly takes place in a London-like city where many refugee Fae have gone. A lot of it is about feelings the natives have about the refugees, and what they do about it. The first episode is largely about the search for "Jack o' the Hammer," who has been brutally murdering Fae by night, one every six weeks. There's also a big plot about a fae/human couple who were separated in the war and their feelings about that.

Gravity Falls - OK, it isn't really "current", but I just watched it recently. Fairly simple animation underlying a complex story: a pair of twins are sent by their parents to spend the summer in the central Oregon town of "Gravity Falls", where really weird stuff keeps happening. Sort of like "The Bobbsey Twins meets The X-Files", only with better characters than the first and more resolution than the second.
    I tried a little Carnival Row - the subtext is pretty much TEXT but it's intriguing. I've never heard of Gravity Falls but I utterly agree about X-Files and resolution. My wife and I are in a current X Files rewatch (not my idea) and man, those Chris Carter mythology episodes are the worst! I wish they didn't cut off the vanity card at the end of each episode because it's fun screaming "you should be ashamed" after the "I made this" comes on the screen. Monster of the week episodes still hold up (though some plot holes are glaring). But the alien shit was some of the worst contrived-on-the-fly shit ever seen in genre TV. I can't wait for Krycek to get locked into a missile silo in the "mountains" of North Dakota! That'll be a prime hate-watch right there.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yeah, Prime has been pushing the serial killer vs. Tinkerbelle's relatives series. I don't think it's my thing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    In the shameful admission dept: (I know, wrong thread)

I watched 2 classic movies this weekend that I had never seen before. Loved both of them!!

The Last Great Picture Show
    Midnight Cowboy

Obviously, I'd seen enough MC references over the years, but still didn't really know what to expect. Did NOT expect it to be so good in a cinematic way.

Same with LGPS . Had always heard about how cute and sexy Ms. Sheppard was. But it was also a wonderful piece of film...love the bleakness with which it portrayed that texas town.

Anyway, it's never too late to enjoy a classic i guess. lol
    To of my faves for sure. I tried out as an extra for Midnight Cowboy. Little did I know they were wanting some Deliverance-style extras for the opening of the film. I wasn't picked, but still enjoy the film for the opening scenes set in my hometown, and for being a good film too.

To Old to Die Young--is a series on Amazon, which has pretty mixed reviews from customers, but I enjoyed it. Granted Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Neon Demon) isn't for everybody--even I have problems or question some of his techniques, pacing, motivations, etc., however, I find him more interesting than not. To Old to Die is a cop, detective, crime series that involves a cop that gets involved with a black gang and Mexican cartel in the first episode--the first episode is pretty slowly paced, so you have to have patience. The second episode takes place in Mexico with the cartel, and the third shifts back to LA. It's a weird series, that is also punctuated by violence, artsy video, and soundtrack. All in all I got sucked in by it. I haven't finished it yet.

Anyone watch the Prime series The Boys? Superheroes are plentiful here, and are more interested in the cash grab than actually being heroic.
    A lot of unsavory behavior by the "supes" when not on camera.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, Prime has been pushing the serial killer vs. Tinkerbelle's relatives series. I don't think it's my thing, though.
    In fairness, it's a bit more than that - the serial killer gets offed in the first episode and something nastier and darker is living in the sewers of London-analogue.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Yeah, I liked The Boys, I'm generally tired of superheros unless done differently.

A head's up--Ken Burns new doc series starts Sunday night about country music. I'm not a country fan, but like Ken Burns so I'll tune in.

In fairness, it's a bit more than that - the serial killer gets offed in the first episode and something nastier and darker is living in the sewers of London-analogue.
    Yup, definitely a touch of Lovecraft (albeit without all Lovecraft's nasty baggage)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That sounds better, but I still wish they had left off the insect wings and just made a historical fantasy/horror series.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yup, definitely a touch of Lovecraft (albeit without all Lovecraft's nasty baggage)
    In all fairness, most things nowadays that are Lovecraftian are sans the racism and xenophobia. Even though those are part of what fueled Lovecraft’s writing and what shaped his stories into what they were. It’s a bit of a sticky wicket, I suppose.

Can't say it's a favorite series, but I watched Doctor Poo on Prime. 4 episodes, thankfully only around 5 minutes each. It features Doctor Poo, Fanny and Sidekick as they travel the bowels of the Earth in a portajohn known as the Fartis, running from Space Hemorrhoids and the like. Tbh, these episodes look like the skits done by a late night weekend B Horror movie host, and once seen, cannot be unseen.

I finally got around to watching The Bodyguard on Netflix.

Recommended.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Just finished watching UNBELIEVABLE on Netflix. Binge watched 6 episodes yesterday and the other 2 today. This is a brilliant show across the board...I have nothing to criticize...nothing! It has excellent reviews that reflect my position as one of the best American TV shows this year.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Just finished watching UNBELIEVABLE on Netflix. Binge watched 6 episodes yesterday and the other 2 today. This is a brilliant show across the board...I have nothing to criticize...nothing! It has excellent reviews that reflect my position as one of the best American TV shows this year.
    I agree wholeheartedly!

Just finished episode five last night.

Unbelievable and Mindhunter are both exceptional
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Recommended.
    Excellent show. Very tense.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Also excellent. Not finished it yet, but I'm thoroughly involved in it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Recommended.
    Yes! Watched it this summer when I had access to free Netflix
    I thought it was very well played and the story is wonderful. Somehow I don't understand a second season though (read something about that).

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Somehow I don't understand a second season though (read something about that).
    What? You lost me. Did you accidentally leave out some words?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Don't know if anyone else is watching Showtime's On Becoming A God In Central Florida w/Kirsten Dunst (it's laugh out loud funny to me), but tonight's episode features almost all of Fish Marillion's "Lavender" as an integral part of the plot line and not just background music.

I really liked this show before, but what a surprising incorporation by their creative team.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

^^^^^^

I really should call this imo terrific show a black comedy, and not just a barrel of laughs.

They began the episode w/"Lavender" and ended it with Ms. Bush's "Running Up That Hill", and Mary Steenburgen joined the cast tonight.

Anyone watching "The Terror" on FX? It took a while to get going, but I am digging it so far. It is a completely different story and cast from last year.