Thread: Current fav US TV series

Just finished the latest season of The Handmaid's Tale. No spoilers, and while they've gone way beyond the source material, I think I enjoyed this season as much or more than the previous couple. Not as much of the June-as-superhero vibe and a lot more study of the dynamics between different pairs of characters. Other thoughts?
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I gave up halfway through this season of Handmaid, just got tired of June.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I gave up on Handmaid's Tale a couple of seasons back. I really enjoyed the first couple, but it wore out its welcome for me. I wanted to keep watching it and spot all the places I know so well (they film it right around where I live), but I just couldn't take one more second of Elizabeth Moss glaring. Even my wife, who really loved the show, has only watched the first episode of this season, and seems uninterested in watching more.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post
    Manifest?
    I don't believe so. As I said in my op, I'm very nearly certain it isn't Manifest. Altho, I have to admit that the title is scratching something in my brain. I went to look at some episodes to see if it looked familiar but Netflix says my CC didn't work. So I'm trying to figure that out.

Which is to say I guess I haven't entirely ruled it out. It's just that the description of the first episode says they've landed in NYC and I don't remember that at all.

Edit: I just scanned through the first 20 minutes of Manifest and it definitely isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    THe Stephen King one about The Langoleres?
    I actually saw The Langoliers. And, no, that's not it. Way too early.

-------------------------

I realize now that I could have been clearer about when I saw this show when I first posted this question. The show I'm talking about premiered on a streaming service or premium cable channel within a three year span before the pandemic. So 2016-2019.
    Last edited by Hal...; 1 Week Ago at 02:45 PM.
    I always like going south. Somehow, it feels like going downhill.. – Fangorn

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I gave up halfway through this season of Handmaid, just got tired of June.
    I'm enjoying it but I agree that June is pretty unlikeable.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Finished the new season of “American Horror Story” last night. This one is different. The “horror” is the 1980’s AID’s epidemic done along with a serial killer side story. Overall, I am not sure how well it worked. The performances were all good and I thought Denis O’Hare especially stood. I get what the writers were going for, but overall, it was not one of my favorite years of this series. Curious if anyone else saw it and if so, what did you think?

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    We thought the Handmaid's Tale was a big step up from the last 2 seasons. Looking forward to the series finale next year.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Well I'm not so proud to say that tonight I will have made it through all 11 seasons of The Walking Dead It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...
    I have 3 eps left. Holy shit am I struggling to finish this. What a masochist I am. I think there were at least three moments in the last episode alone that I yelled at the the idiocy of what was unfolding. The absolute worst to date: Darryl, on his back, fighting one of those Commonwealth secret operatives and struggling to reach for his knife (or gun...can't remember) which was on the ground next to him, but just out of reach...all the while the operative sitting on top of him had a knife stuck in his chest just inches away. This show stinks!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

So now I can't remember the name of a series with a similar story to the one Hal.. is looking for:

A large part near LA's tar pit is breaking into the ground and all that fall in during that hole opening find that they landed in a wilderness
    in the very early past of the earth. There also seems to be other holes/gates like that. A father who had part of his family falling in time
    tries to find them by any means possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    So now I can't remember the name of a series with a similar story to the one Hal.. is looking for:

A large part near LA's tar pit is breaking into the ground and all that fall in during that hole opening find that they landed in a wilderness
    in the very early past of the earth. There also seems to be other holes/gates like that. A father who had part of his family falling in time
    tries to find them by any means possible.
    I haven't seen it but have seen the commercials for it. Isn't that the NBC show La Brea?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I haven't seen it but have seen the commercials for it. Isn't that the NBC show La Brea?
    Yes thank you it is. It has a different title in Germany I think but that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I have 3 eps left. Holy shit am I struggling to finish this. What a masochist I am. I think there were at least three moments in the last episode alone that I yelled at the the idiocy of what was unfolding. The absolute worst to date: Darryl, on his back, fighting one of those Commonwealth secret operatives and struggling to reach for his knife (or gun...can't remember) which was on the ground next to him, but just out of reach...all the while the operative sitting on top of him had a knife stuck in his chest just inches away. This show stinks!
    it doesn't get much better dude. To the masochists!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Watched the first three episodes of Tim Burton’s Wednesday last night on Netflix, as in Addams Family. Great fun. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Whenever I see something ridiculous in an episode of The Walking Dead I just watch an episode of Yellowstone and suddenly TWD seems more plausible.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Whenever I see something ridiculous in an episode of The Walking Dead I just watch an episode of Yellowstone and suddenly TWD seems more plausible.

My brother recommended Yellowstone to me and given his taste in shows & movies, I opted not to watch it; not that his taste is completely suspect. But after reading comments here, I'm glad I didn't dive in.

Interesting...all I keep hearing around me is how much people like Yellowstone. I don't really have much interest though.

Just finished this last night and my head hurts. Liked it though! Solid sci-fi/mystery stuff here...just make sure subtitles are on because languages switch around a bunch. Definitely something you brainy fuckers in here will probably dig
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I tried Yellowstone. After a few episodes, I gave up.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Watched the first three episodes of Tim Burton’s Wednesday last night on Netflix, as in Addams Family. Great fun. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I watched the first episode last night. First impression , not as good as I hoped. Not a fan of the new Morticia and Gomez. Jones and whatizface don't fit the characters IMO. But as the episode moved on the focus was more on Wensday and it got better. I'll give #2 a shot tonight. Production values are good as are effects. This is one of the better Things , visually at least.

We finished the new season of “The Crown” last night. I have to say that I think this season was a bit of a step down from previous ones. The show is still very good, but as it gets closer to events that I remember in real life, I just don’t think it plays as well as the more historical aspects of previous years. The new cast is fine and all do a great job with older versions of the characters. Of course, there is quite a bit of controversy about the show taking historical liberties with accuracy. I don’t have a problem with artistic license, but when they just blatantly make things up that bothers me, and I think there is more of that than in any previous season. The season also just kind of ends, with no real finale, which I found odd. Anyway, I enjoyed it, but not as much as previous seasons. I will be in for the final season when it eventually comes out.

^^ I liked this season of The Crown, but some of the actors - as good as they are - were difficult for me to accept as the roles they were playing. No disrespect to Dominic West, who I like a lot, but I just don't see Charles when I look at him. I still think Elizabeth Debicki should be nominated for an award for her portrayal of Diana though, she was excellent.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    The first season of Gangs Of London was incredible - more heads exploded from bullets than The Walking Dead.
    Season 2 did not disappoint! Some dazzling fight scenes and inventive camerawork (and exploding heads!)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^ I liked this season of The Crown, but some of the actors - as good as they are - were difficult for me to accept as the roles they were playing. No disrespect to Dominic West, who I like a lot, but I just don't see Charles when I look at him. I still think Elizabeth Debicki should be nominated for an award for her portrayal of Diana though, she was excellent.
    Agree on both counts. I am a big fan of West too, but yea he does not look much like him at all. Debicki did an amazing job as Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

Just finished this last night and my head hurts. Liked it though! Solid sci-fi/mystery stuff here...just make sure subtitles are on because languages switch around a bunch. Definitely something you brainy fuckers in here will probably dig
    Watched the first episode tonight and totally dug it. Will be doing some binge watching this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Season 2 did not disappoint! Some dazzling fight scenes and inventive camerawork (and exploding heads!)
    3 episodes in. Still crazy..maybe crazier.

Just finished season 3 of Dead To Me. Big disappointment compared to the first two. Didn’t like the storyline. Was very predictable and not that funny.

1899 on deck.

We just finished season two of Only Murders in the Building. I think there were more laughs this season than last and the grand finale was much better.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart