Page 117 of 329 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167217 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

I'm not really familiar with Aaron Sorkin's work on TV even tho I'm aware of his reputation. I did watch Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, which I really liked. Too bad it got cancelled after one season. Never watched The West Wing. Of his movies, I've seen and really enjoyed A Few Good Men, Charlie Wilson's War, Moneyball, and Molly's Game.

I'd also heard about The Newsroom a long time ago but had never seen it. I just finished watching the first 5 episodes. Jesus, this show is good!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Watched the first 3 episodes of Dead To Me last night and we really enjoyed it! Doesn't hurt that Christine Applegate is aging like fine wine.

Watched a new episode of Black Mirror tonight, called Smithereens. Very good, quite gripping and tense. Only two others to watch, they aren't as highly rated so we'll see.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

First 3 episodes of season 3 of The Handmaid's Tale started today. I'm starting ep.2 in a minute.

It looks like they're going to (if they have a 13 ep. season like season 2) release 3 at a time every Wednesday & maybe the last 4 at the end.

My 2nd favorite current tv show (behind "Eve"). Ep. 1 didn't disappoint.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    First 3 episodes of season 3 of The Handmaid's Tale started today. I'm starting ep.2 in a minute.
    VERY much looking forward to this. Excellent series, they film it right around here and it's fun to recognize so many places. I came across some filming a few times when I was out and about. When dozens of handmaids in their red dresses are gathered around, there's no mistaking what's being shot!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

This latest season of Santa Clarita Diet has been awesome. The characters are so good. Lots of good belly laughs.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    This latest season of Santa Clarita Diet has been awesome. The characters are so good. Lots of good belly laughs.
    Yup! In my top 5 for sure.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Watched a new episode of Black Mirror tonight, called Smithereens. Very good, quite gripping and tense. Only two others to watch, they aren't as highly rated so we'll see.
    I didn't realize a new season had dropped. Unfortunately, there are only three episodes this go around. And you're right, season 5 has the lowest ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic.

And while I normally find their ratings useful, it must be pointed out that season 1 had the highest rating at 97%. Seasons 2-4 had ratings of 87%, 86%, & 84%, respectively. I think everyone in this thread agreed that seasons 3 & 4 were the best. FWIW.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I didn't realize a new season had dropped. Unfortunately, there are only three episodes this go around. And you're right, season 5 has the lowest ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic.

And while I normally find their ratings useful, it must be pointed out that season 1 had the highest rating at 97%. Seasons 2-4 had ratings of 87%, 86%, & 84%, respectively. I think everyone in this thread agreed that seasons 3 & 4 were the best. FWIW.
    In season 1 and 2 the series had pretty much a cult fanbase. During season 3 and 4 the popularity grew and a more mainstream public started watching resulting in lower average ratings. Pretty normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Yep! I binged that within a week.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I watched the Deadwood movie on HBO last Friday as soon as it aired. Great. I also binged all three seasons right before. Still one of the best shows ever, for me. Amazing writing and use of language.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I watched the Deadwood movie on HBO last Friday as soon as it aired. Great. I also binged all three seasons right before. Still one of the best shows ever, for me. Amazing writing and use of language.
    We have it DVR'd and will probably watch it this weekend. Deadwood was a great show for sure.

After being curious about it for a long time I started watching "Peaky Blinders" today, based on comments here. Just made it through the first episode, but so far I like it.

Peaky Blinders is great.

For sports fans, there is ton of stuff on this weekend:

Canadian Grand Prix; qualifying today, race tomorrow
    Women's World Cup; 3 matches today, 3 tomorrow
    IndyCar race at Texas Motor Speedway tonight at 8
    French Open; men's semifinal and women's final today, men's final tomorrow
    Belmont Stakes
    Stanley Cup tomorrow night
    Canadian Open (golf); 3rd round today, 4th tomorrow
    WNBA; today
    Track & field meet in Rome, today

Santa Clarita diet has been cancelled. There's won;t be a new season. Bummer, loved the show.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Santa Clarita diet has been cancelled. There's won;t be a new season. Bummer, loved the show.
    Damn!

I know Dead To Me was mentioned earlier in this thread. I binged the first four episodes last night and found it to be excellent. Both leads are outstanding - Christina Applegate is particularly impressive, what an excellent performance. Intriguing story too! Looking forward to the remaining six episodes.

Yeah, it looks like Christina Applegate finally learned how to act.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I don't think she was stretched too much in the acting department playing Kelly Bundy.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I don't think she was stretched too much in the acting department playing Kelly Bundy.
    I'd only ever seen her as Kelly Bundy, so I had no idea she was capable of this caliber of performance. My wife likes her a lot, having seen her in other things that I didn't watch.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

It looks like they're going to (if they have a 13 ep. season like season 2) release 3 at a time every Wednesday & maybe the last 4 at the end.

My 2nd favorite current tv show (behind "Eve"). Ep. 1 didn't disappoint.
    Good to know! We recorded first two eps of HandMaid's Tale last night as we were busy. Can't wait to check it out.
    And I'm with you on Eve geezer, love that series too.

Yep, watched the first two Handmaid's Tale last night (they didn't air three here?) and it's good to have it back. Likewise with the new season of Big Little Lies, now featuring Meryl Streep who already made me LOL several times! Love having some Sunday night shows back!

Chernobyl is bloody amazing mini-series. What makes it even more awesome is that all of it is the truth...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silantyev View Post
    Chernobyl is bloody amazing mini-series. What makes it even more awesome is that all of it is the truth...
    Well most of it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.