Page 113 of 329 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I forgot to comment about Talisa Maegyr, the woman Robb Stark ended up marrying. She was played by Oona Chaplin, who I found out is the daughter of Geraldine Chaplin and the granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin.
    Another obscure fact is that when her grandmother (Oona the elder) at 18 married the 53 year old Charlie two things happened. Her father Eugene O'Neill disowned her and never spoke to her again, and she broke the heart of her more age-appropriate suitor at the time, J.D. Salinger.

Charlie & grandma Oona's marriage, despite the May-December stigma, lasted over 30 years and they had 8 children together, including young Oona's mother Geraldine.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Just finished season 7 of GoT and all I can say is, oooh fuuuuck!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Another obscure fact is that when her grandmother (Oona the elder) at 18 married the 53 year old Charlie two things happened. Her father Eugene O'Neill disowned her and never spoke to her again, and she broke the heart of her more age-appropriate suitor at the time, J.D. Salinger.

Charlie & grandma Oona's marriage, despite the May-December stigma, lasted over 30 years and they had 8 children together, including young Oona's mother Geraldine.
    Yeah, I read about that when I read up on Oona. It's a tad sordid, isn't it?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Wife and I binged the first season of Broadchurch the past couple of days. Excellent murder mystery with compelling performances from the excellent Olivia Colman and David Tennant as the investigators. Also really impressed with Jodie Whittaker as the bereaved mother of the young murdered boy. Absolutely loved the haunting score from Ólafur Arnalds as well. We will definitely be continuing on with the next season ASAP!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wife and I binged the first season of Broadchurch the past couple of days. Excellent murder mystery with compelling performances from the excellent Olivia Colman and David Tennant as the investigators. Also really impressed with Jodie Whittaker as the bereaved mother of the young murdered boy. Absolutely loved the haunting score from Ólafur Arnalds as well. We will definitely be continuing on with the next season ASAP!
    All three series are excellent, IMO. I started watching it before the second series aired, so I had to wait between each one.

That entire cast was pretty terrific, but Colman, Tennant, and Whittaker were standouts for sure.

This is definitely stretching the thread parameters a bit, but some here will see the obtuse relevance. It's 100% true. I almost didn't post it at all.

Last night I had a clear dream that Killing Eve's Villanelle (Jodie Comer) came into my room, got on top of me and while I was in libidinous la-la land took out a knife and I fortunately woke up when her arm was raised.

WTF?? What does this all mean?? (No shit, it happened!)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Geezer, sounds like you want to be Eve.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    All three series are excellent, IMO. I started watching it before the second series aired, so I had to wait between each one.

That entire cast was pretty terrific, but Colman, Tennant, and Whittaker were standouts for sure.
    Good to hear, looking forward to continuing on with it. Fun to see three Game Of Thrones actors in there as well! (Of course, in completely different kinds of roles.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Veep produces at least 4 belly laughs per 1/2 hour episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Fun to see three Game Of Thrones actors in there as well! (Of course, in completely different kinds of roles.)
    The only one I recall is David Bradley (Walder Frey). Who are the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Geezer, sounds like you want to be Eve.
    I don't know, convincing Niko that I was all of a sudden celibate would be tough!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The only one I recall is David Bradley (Walder Frey). Who are the others?
    Well the grandmother is the Septa ("Shame... shame... shame...") and the daughter's boyfriend is Grey Worm.

This is definitely stretching the thread parameters a bit, but some here will see the obtuse relevance. It's 100% true. I almost didn't post it at all.

Last night I had a clear dream that Killing Eve's Villanelle (Jodie Comer) came into my room, got on top of me and while I was in libidinous la-la land took out a knife and I fortunately woke up when her arm was raised.

Dunno what it means, but it does give new meaning to the term "wet dream".

You're turned on by Jodie Comer but very turned on by Villanelle. Villanelle is the ultimate sadist; one who's literally dangerous. Which must make you a masochist... not that there's anything wrong with that. And since masochists are attracted to sadists, that explains your attraction to Villanelle. But your attraction to Villanelle is extreme to the point that you're willing to put your life in danger just to fuck her. Unconsciously, however, you don't really want to die, which is why you woke up. Perhaps you need to talk more about it: Psychologist Locator

Seriously, that's a funny dream. About 40 years ago I had a dream about my best friend's mother. She was dressed in black leather like a dominatrix... which was weird because I'd never seen a picture of a dominatrix before. Anyway, I happened to see her through the bathroom window murder some man in the bathtub with a chef's knife. You wouldn't believe the amount of blood. Later, I was sitting in their kitchen waiting on my friend and his brother. Their father was in the living room and the mother was in the kitchen making coffee, I think. She seemed completely normal so I knew she didn't know I had seen her. And then some friends of his mother's came in, sat down at the kitchen table, and over coffee and cigarettes told her about the murder of their mutual friend. I looked at her and she looked at me with this cold, evil look. I knew then that she knew I knew. And I knew I was next.

The most vivid and bizarre dream I've ever had.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

! like you a lot, Hal, but if you send me a bill, you'll die waiting to get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I envy the folks that can binge this show.
    Until I finally started watching GOT, I skipped over posts that talked about it, which is why I missed this the first time.

Yeah, I'm glad I did wait and binge it. And you're right. If I had to wait for the next season after some of those season finales, it would have been absolute torture.

Someday maybe I'll watch GOT. Dragons & decapitations just aren't at the center of my wheelhouse, superb British acting notwithstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Amazing stuff really. Easily my favorite show of all time.
    First let me say that I do not like fantasy and it really bothers me they lump it in with science fiction, my favorite genre of novels & movies. And as I said in an earlier post, if I had to wait each week for a new episode and 42 weeks for a new season, I might have bailed on it.

That said, it's hard to argue with Paulie on his assessment. Altho, I'd probably give that distinction to The Good Wife. There are a few others that could vie for title of GOAT, such as The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Justified, and The Wire (disclaimer: still have yet to watch a single episode of The Wire, so I'm only going by reputation), but some of these comparisons are apples & oranges, imo. The Good Wife was an episodic drama on a broadcast network; much harder to consistently maintain high quality for 156 episodes over 7 seasons (altho, I think they probably should have quit after 6). And I still think the greatest episode of any show I've ever seen was "Hitting the Fan" from TGW in season 5.

The difference between TGW (& those other shows) and GOT is that most episodes of TGW are stand-alones. So I don't think I could binge watch it. GOT, however, is like one continuous story over 73 episodes making it totally bingeable. In fact, I'd argue that's its strength.

What they both have in common is excellent writing. Many shows lose their way due to the creators/show runners leaving/getting fired or getting bogged down from outside influences (TV execs, public opinion, whatever). The great ones don't lose their focus and GOT falls into that camp, probably because about ¾ of the episodes were written by the creators while the rest were written by one of four others, including George RR Martin himself, so there aren't too many chefs spoiling the pot. And they're all very well crafted.

And it has to be pointed out that while the show is fantasy, the majority of it is about politics; Machiavellian politics, which is what I love about it. This show is more Dangerous Liaisons than Lord of the Rings. And, yeah, there are dragons, but they're fucking cool. And beheadings, too, but the show isn't nearly as gory as you'd expect.

One thing no one seems to talk about is the humor and sentiment, both of which are subtle... and sparse. The humor usually comes from Tyron Lannister (Peter Dinklage), which is why I like his character so much. There's very little, if any, sentiment in the first few seasons; it's mostly later on. And even then it's not sappy.

Simply put, the show is truly excellent and will probably go down as one of the GOAT. As long as the writers don't shit the bed in the next two episodes, of course.

Once GOT starts streaming on either Netflix or Hulu I'll begin at Season 1 ep.1. I don't have (or want) HBO, and (GOT notwithstanding), the only show I would miss if I couldn't watch it in its entirety (incl overtime) on you tube 2 hours after the live show ends is Bill Maher.

Once GOT starts streaming on either Netflix or Hulu I'll begin at Season 1 ep.1.
    I was just discussing this with my niece. We both could swear we saw it listed on Netflix but then disappeared. I wonder if HBO made them pull it before the new season began airing.

Incidentally, I don't have HBO either and I don't blame you for not wanting it.

Dead to Me. A new show on Netflix about a friendship that develops between two women who meet at a group therapy session to deal with their grief. Christina Applegate plays Jen, a widowed real estate agent with rage issues, and Linda Cardellini plays Judy, a free spirit with a heart of gold who works with geriatrics and who has issues of her own. The show also stars James Marsden.

The show is a beautiful mixture of drama, dark comedy, buddy movie, crime story, and even a little bit of chick flick. Nicely layered at first, the story gets increasingly complicated for the characters as it progresses. It takes an episode or two to reach its stride but once it does you may find yourself bingeing it. I did.

It actually plays like a limited series and I thought maybe it was until the final scene. Here's hoping there's a second season.

Applegate, Cardellini, and Marsden are all terrific. Highly recommended.

A good review from David Bianculli on NPR (podcast & transcript): Dead To Me
    Last edited by Hal...; 05-13-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Dead to Me. A new show on Netflix about a friendship that develops between two women who meet at a group therapy session to deal with their grief. Christina Applegate plays Jen, a widowed real estate agent with rage issues, and Linda Cardellini plays Judy, a free spirit with a heart of gold who works with geriatrics and who has issues of her own. The show also stars James Marsden.

The show is a beautiful mixture of drama, dark comedy, buddy movie, crime story, and even a little bit of chick flick. Nicely layered at first, the story gets increasingly complicated for the characters as it progresses. It takes an episode or two to reach its stride but once it does you may find yourself bingeing it. I did.

It actually plays like a limited series and I thought maybe it was until the final scene. Here's hoping there's a second season.

Applegate, Cardellini, and Marsden are all terrific. Highly recommended.

A good review from David Bianculli on NPR (podcast & transcript): Dead To Me
    On my list. Now moved up.

On my list. Now moved up.
    Re: DEAD TO ME Binge watched the whole thing today...I guess that say's it all.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

OK, now moved up closer still, David.

I'm 4 episodes into Dead To Me. Really like Applegate in this one... I also stopped myself from binging Santa Clarita Diet 3rd season in 2 days. Got 2 episodes left. I think this is the best season. The characters play off each other so well!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I also stopped myself from binging Santa Clarita Diet 3rd season in 2 days. Got 2 episodes left. I think this is the best season. The characters play off each other so well!
    As soon as NHL playoffs finish up airing every night, this will be the first one I tackle. Loved season 1, not as much season 2, but still dug it. The neighbor kid with the crush on the daughter freakin kills me
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Season 3 expands the storyline, introduces new characters, and develops others that were bit players earlier in the series. One of the funniest shows on TV right now, imo...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-