Page 128 of 329 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

We just finished a binge of two seasons of Fleabag on Amazon. Wow, it starts as this dark and cynical comedy and then twists and turns keep coming, veering into tragedy and meditations on family, sex, love, faith (and oh, does that go for a spin), grief, and redemption. All in these little 24 minute segments. My wife is afraid that there won't be a season three. But whatever, Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a phenomenal writing and acting talent. And for fucks sake, she was the showrunner on the first season of Killing Eve as well?! Producers must be showing up at her door with buckets of money to finance her next whim.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We finally had the chance to watch the last few episodes of "American Horror Story 1984" over the weekend. I really liked it. They were obviously going for a "Stranger Things" vibe with it all taking place in the 80's, but I thought it was a nice take on 80's style horror. It is always cool to see old cast members come back as new characters too.

Finished the second season of The Kominsky Method yesterday. This show actually got better because while Alan Arkin is still awesome as the old, cranky kvetcher, I felt like they made Michael Douglas' character a lot funnier. But eight episodes a season is way too few for a show of this caliber!

Did I mention last time that the brains behind this show is the same as the creator of Big Bang Theory, Two and Half Men, Mike & Molly, Mom, Young Sheldon, et al?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    NICE! Loved the first season!
    I just started the first season of this and I'm diggin' the hell out of it! Love the dark humor...sort of reminds me of Wristcutters : A Love Story Remember that one?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We finally had the chance to watch the last few episodes of "American Horror Story 1984" over the weekend. I really liked it. They were obviously going for a "Stranger Things" vibe with it all taking place in the 80's, but I thought it was a nice take on 80's style horror. It is always cool to see old cast members come back as new characters too.
    I haven't been able to watch it on Prime. They want me to rent it after watching seasons 1-7 for free.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I just started the first season of this and I'm diggin' the hell out of it! Love the dark humor...sort of reminds me of Wristcutters : A Love Story Remember that one?
    Yes! I remember talking about that one in the old PE movie thread!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    Been watching this geeky show on Netflix, called "Daybreak". It's an utterly cheesy, camp "end-of-civilisation" teen-ish series, but it features some humorous gore as well as Matthew Broderick, he's quite funny in this. It's Mad Max meets Ninjas meets Revenge of the Nerds...

Having a hard time finding interesting new stuff on Netflix though...

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Finished the second season of The Kominsky Method yesterday. This show actually got better because while Alan Arkin is still awesome as the old, cranky kvetcher, I felt like they made Michael Douglas' character a lot funnier. But eight episodes a season is way too few for a show of this caliber!

Did I mention last time that the brains behind this show is the same as the creator of Big Bang Theory, Two and Half Men, Mike & Molly, Mom, Young Sheldon, et al?
    Loved this show - and yes, way too few episodes. It has a real Curb Your Enthusiasm feel to it.

On a different tack - does anyone subscribe to the all non-English language station MHZ? I love it - me and the wife are totally digging a fantastic Czech series 'Inspektor Max' and not just because the main character looks like Captain Beefheart. There are shows from most countries in Europe - even an Irish Gaelic one. I veer towards the Eastern European ones - much like I do with movies. If you are not bothered by subtitles then this might be for you.
    Last edited by jake; 12-02-2019 at 10:38 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roddenberry View Post
    Been watching this geeky show on Netflix, called "Daybreak". It's an utterly cheesy, camp "end-of-civilisation" teen-ish series, but it features some humorous gore as well as Matthew Broderick, he's quite funny in this. It's Mad Max meets Ninjas meets Revenge of the Nerds...

Yeah, I'm enjoying Daybreak.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Late to the party on this one, but I finally got around to Mindhunter, really liking it so far.

Also noticed there's a trailer for season 3 of The Sinner, which I'll be watching for sure.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by roddenberry View Post

Welcome back, Robert!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I haven't been able to watch it on Prime. They want me to rent it after watching seasons 1-7 for free.
    That sucks. I had the season set to record on my DVR each week, but for some reason a bunch of episodes failed to record. We ended up watching it On Demand from our cable company.

Welcome back, Robert!
    I saw your post in my thread, mon ami! Happy to hear from someone associated with many good memories!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

So, has everybody watched The Irishman? I sat through it in 2 sequences yesterday because I cannot do 3.5hrs in one sitting. Good movie, though it is a tad long,imo... Not overly violent for a mob flick either.. It really puts the "man" in Irishman too, with female roles really on the periphery of the story telling.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    So, has everybody watched The Irishman? I sat through it in 2 sequences yesterday because I cannot do 3.5hrs in one sitting. Good movie, though it is a tad long,imo... Not overly violent for a mob flick either.. It really puts the "man" in Irishman too, with female roles really on the periphery of the story telling.
    Yep, we've been discussing it in the Movies thread.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Enjoying Outlander on Netflix, kind of late to the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Season 5 will be out next year I heard. I watch everything from DVD, so I have to be patient while watching all 4 seasons of The Bridge again, from which - as you might know - each chapter starts and ends with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Me, too!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Season 5 will be out next year I heard. I watch everything from DVD, so I have to be patient while watching all 4 seasons of The Bridge again, from which - as you might know - each chapter starts and ends with this:

Love love love the bridge. Masterful acting, character development and plots IMO. Sofia Helin knocked it out of the park as Saga and the entire cast was superb. Really like the theme song as well.

Finally got my wife to watch the last two episodes of Killing Eve. She had seen it up to that point but just never finished it off. The last episode was pretty much her yelling at the TV "What? Wait! Oh shit. Ah shit! No fucking way! Use the damn gun! Put the gun away!" It was fun.

I saw some publicity on a new season of Doctor Who starting. I started with Eccleston but our video quality from BBC America then was such shit (it's only somewhat better now) I gave up. I see now that most seasons are free with Prime. I just might have to dive back in. That show is batshit insane but its a fun kind of batshit insane.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^^ Killing Eve is lovely and as far as recent Dr. Who, DON'T BLINK! Weeping Angels are so very creepy and they have caused me to have statuephobia.

Ok, they caught me with time travel in DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Not being the big superhero comic book type of guy I only watched it because it had the guy who played Rory in Dr. Who(see what I did there) and it had time travel. I'm a sucker for time travel.

Then Batwoman comes along. Ok, so, not that big of a deal. I've always dug the Batman universe so this is just a part of that. It's only one more show to watch, no biggie, right?

Yeppers, I didn't know what I was getting myself in for. Crisis on Infinite Worlds, a five part crossover event that has my mind spinning. Never watched Supergirl (apparently Batwoman meets her in a episode), nor Arrow or Flash. I'm Bob Uecker here, "Just a bit confused".

This is DC's version of what has happened in the last few years in the Marvel universe. It's all Hero's on hand and I only know maybe half of them. Again, confusing but that's to be expected with me who knows nothing. The only way I've made it through some of the Marvel movies is my drunken friend has explained it all to me.

Superman vs. Superman. Bruce Wayne is old and decrepit. Multiple universes and versions of the characters, well, it's quite the hootenanny a going on. Bring your fiddle and some popcorn.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Just some more on this DC thing. There's been a load of nods to older stuff - Robert Wuhl(Burton's Batman), Burt Ward - Robin in the tv show, John William's music from Superman, the send off scene where Superman and Lois send their kid off in a pod the words were those spoken by Superman's dad in the movie and on and on. I'm probably missing most of them as I'm not a comic geek but gotta give them some credit for pulling this thing off and doing it in such a cool way.

There's also Tom Cavanaugh as someone and Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor. JC is cool as Luthor, wish I had been watching Supergirl.

They also had John Wesley Shipp the Flash from the 1990 series. The guy who played the old bitter Batman who has been the voice of Batman for 27 years in animation.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 12-11-2019 at 02:55 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

The Netflix movie Marriage Story w/Adam Driver, Scarlet Johansson, Laura Dern, Ray Liotta & Alan Alda is definitely worth seeing. Very well written and acted, and unlike most analysis of marriage & divorce movies, even beliveable.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Anyone else watching Watchmen? Ep 1 will have you wondering what's going on, but this looks like one wild ride.

Anyone else watching Watchmen? Ep 1 will have you wondering what's going on, but this looks like one wild ride.
    Being a fan of the original graphic novel, the idea of a sequel TV series is fascinating to me. I hope its good.