Page 211 of 330 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261311 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,275 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Good to hear. We are still watching The Wire (almost end of season 3), but will probably watch Dexter next.
    Speaking of The Wire. I recently read where Domonic West (McNulty in The Wire) will be playing Prince Charles in the final 2 seasons of The Crown. The next season is already in production and apparently he is knocking it out of the park.

If anyone caught the Season 15 premier of Its always Sunny in Philadelphia, the dropped an Emerson Lake and Palmer reference in there
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    If anyone caught the Season 15 premier of Its always Sunny in Philadelphia, the dropped an Emerson Lake and Palmer reference in there
    Love finding Prog and Extreme Metal in shows. Starting watching a doc on Netflix, Noir about film and the first episode included an long sequence to In the Court of the Crimson King.

The show, called a series of visual essays, is pretty good, specially for film buffs.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I think you're right, but the Dexter voice-over monologues and scenes with Deb are worth the 50 minute investment. Plus I am a huge Clancy Brown fan from way back in the Bad Boys days, not the Will Smith version, the original.

My new email signature - Eric "Fuck Nuggets" Marvin
    I'm kind of in the same boat as Paulie. The writing seems meh. I'm not in a rush to watch it. It's ok and has definitely improved after episode one, but it doesn't have me by the throat like those original first 4-5 seasons did. Also let's not forget Clancy Brown in the insanely awesome, unfortunately cancelled Carnivale
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm also in no hurry to get to Dexter. It's building up on my DVR but I've just had no interest. Goes to show how damaging that last season was. Likewise with It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, I don't even know if I will bother anymore, it's so played now. Had I known Curb Your Enthusiasm was going to be so dire, I wouldn't have been watching it either.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

making a big mistake with Sunny, the new eps are as good as ever lol
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I have actually really enjoyed this season of Curb! Predictable? Yep. But it still cracks me up.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I enjoyed the series Voir on Netflix comprising 6 short (~20 minutes) video essays about movie topics. It's in 4K.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567707...f_=tt_eps_sn_1

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    I enjoyed the series Voir on Netflix comprising 6 short (~20 minutes) video essays about movie topics. It's in 4K.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567707...f_=tt_eps_sn_1
    Same and I posted it above with the wrong name. Super cool. The Appeal episode is fascinating

Good Succession article on the Conner character: https://www.menshealth.com/entertain...T8YtsCPVZfkYA8

new trailer for Season 4 of Cobra Kai, just a few weeks away now.

In the mean time, i've been trying to consume as much Sense8 and The Expanse as I can; although with the final season of The Expanse being put up today, I'm going to have to get through still another 3+seasons 1st before checking it out still. But I can say, I am starting to warm up to it more than the 1st season, despite the fact I know the time is limited for the Miller character.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    new trailer for Season 4 of Cobra Kai, just a few weeks away now.

In the mean time, i've been trying to consume as much Sense8 and The Expanse as I can; although with the final season of The Expanse being put up today, I'm going to have to get through still another 3+seasons 1st before checking it out still. But I can say, I am starting to warm up to it more than the 1st season, despite the fact I know the time is limited for the Miller character.
    I watched Ep 1 S6 of Expanse last night and it does not disappoint. You have a good deal of great TV as you work through the series.

This was much better than I anticipated.

And unlike Fear the Walking Dead, didn't rush headlong into action, taking its time to develop the four main story arcs that center on Aneesha Malik, a mother of two whose marriage is falling apart, Trevante Ward, a US special ops soldier in the Middle East, Mitsuki Yamato, a Japanese lesbian whose partner is an astronaut, and Caspar Morrow, an English boy with epilepsy who gets bullied a lot.

According to Rotten Tomatoes, the show "attempts a slow burn but inadvertently lets its tension completely fizzle out with leaden pacing that will leave viewers impatient for the alien apocalypse to finally arrive."

Typical short attention span drivel from reviewers who probably had preconceptions of what the show was going to be. Granted, the trailer makes it look action-y, but what they fail to acknowledge is that, while the overall story does build up slowly, the fact that four stories are being told side by side helps to counteract any impatience one might feel. At least it did for me - and I have ADD! But then, I went in cold, not having seen the trailer.

In comparison, The Mandalorian, which I'm currently watching, has an approval rating of 93%. It's pretty good, I guess, but not that good.

I wouldn't give Invasion an A but it's at least a B+/A–, overall. And, imo, is certainly better than The Mandalorian.

Oh, and who wouldn't want to stare at this woman every episode?

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Yeah, I've enjoyed this series so far. It does seem a bit slow at times or feel a bit overly drawn out, but the pacing is right on, IMO. I'll take this over explosions every 3 seconds any day. I was just realizing during last night's episode that the entire thing so far is depicting the events of about 1 week's time.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Yeah, I've enjoyed this series so far. It does seem a bit slow at times or feel a bit overly drawn out, but the pacing is right on, IMO. I'll take this over explosions every 3 seconds any day.
    Ditto.

I was just realizing during last night's episode that the entire thing so far is depicting the events of about 1 week's time.
    No judgement, but I thought that was kind of obvious. Of course, I don't have an über-hot Asian wife to distract me, either.

I'll be watching the finale sometime today since I forgot about it last night.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

And unlike Fear the Walking Dead, didn't rush headlong into action, taking its time to develop the four main story arcs that center on Aneesha Malik, a mother of two whose marriage is falling apart, Trevante Ward, a US special ops soldier in the Middle East, Mitsuki Yamato, a Japanese lesbian whose partner is an astronaut, and Caspar Morrow, an English boy with epilepsy who gets bullied a lot.

According to Rotten Tomatoes, the show "attempts a slow burn but inadvertently lets its tension completely fizzle out with leaden pacing that will leave viewers impatient for the alien apocalypse to finally arrive."

Typical short attention span drivel from reviewers who probably had preconceptions of what the show was going to be. Granted, the trailer makes it look action-y, but what they fail to acknowledge is that, while the overall story does build up slowly, the fact that four stories are being told side by side helps to counteract any impatience one might feel. At least it did for me - and I have ADD! But then, I went in cold, not having seen the trailer.

In comparison, The Mandalorian, which I'm currently watching, has an approval rating of 93%. It's pretty good, I guess, but not that good.

I wouldn't give Invasion an A but it's at least a B+/A–, overall. And, imo, is certainly better than The Mandalorian.

Oh, and who wouldn't want to stare at this woman every episode?

Added to the (mental) list! Thanks!

No judgement, but I thought that was kind of obvious. Of course, I don't have an über-hot Asian wife to distract me, either.
    Probably a combination of watching the episodes week-to-week and not binging them, being distracted by the wife, the Internet, and being high AF.

I'll be watching the finale sometime today since I forgot about it last night.
    I was thinking they could have ended the entire thing with last week's episode. This week's episode seemed more like episode 1 of a second season.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Probably a combination of watching the episodes week-to-week and not binging them, being distracted by the wife, the Internet, and being high AF.

Thanks, jerk.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Expanse is back with a new season
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Succession.

Holy shit. What am I going to do now while I wait for season 4? I can't! I won't.

These episodes are like Renaissance paintings put to film.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Succession.

Holy shit. What am I going to do now while I wait for season 4? I can't! I won't.

The direction/cinematography was a master class, as well as Armstrong's writing in this finale. So many twists and turns and dammit, what a way to set it up. Plus, my wife gets her fondest wish, another season of tall Swedish techno-vampire.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    In the mean time, i've been trying to consume as much Sense8
    We just finished Season 1 of Sense8. I really enjoyed it. Interesting idea, and I like how the Wachowskis presented the seemingly difficult idea of how the characters are linked. My only minor complaint is that I thought it took a little while to get going. I don't want to spoil anything, but once you realize the premise of the show, I was hoping for it to move along a little more quickly, but it takes its time with character development. It also appears that much of the show was filmed on location, which makes for some great visuals, as the characters are spread out across the world.

Recommended for fans of SF that doesn't have to involve space.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thanks, jerk.
    No problem!
    <sig out of order>

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Last night's episode of Dexter was the best one yet! Really enjoyable.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Succession.

Just an amazing season. Even though they are all rich pricks, you feel sorry for all of them in their own ways. Acting, writing, production, cast, it does not get much better.