Page 94 of 330 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Haunting of Hill House

I definitely liked the first half plus much better than the second, but thought it was pretty good overall.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So I just got Amazon Prime, what shows should I check out? I'm thinking

Bosch
    The Expanse
    The Grand Tour
    Britannia
    Jack Ryan
    Justified
    NYPD Blue
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Bosch
    The Expanse
    The Grand Tour
    Britannia
    Jack Ryan
    Justified
    NYPD Blue
    Justified for sure!!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Counterpart Season 2 has started.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Counterpart Season 2 has started.
    And it's just as bonkers and difficult to follow
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    And it's just as bonkers and difficult to follow
    It's I Love Lucy compared to Westworld.

Bosch
    The Expanse
    The Grand Tour
    Britannia
    Jack Ryan
    Justified
    NYPD Blue
    Since you mentioned it - it's a long haul in terms of the length series are these days, but NYPDB gets a vote from me as one of the best series of all time.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Re: Counterpart - man, I agree that it's ambiguous and convoluted, and I'm just up to binging ep.5 of season 1 to catch up. I like Simmons too much to give up (yet) and so far I "think" I get most of it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

There's a ton of good movies available with Prime, so don't sleep on that.

Bosch
    The Expanse
    The Grand Tour
    Britannia
    Jack Ryan
    Justified
    NYPD Blue
    If you haven't seen Justified yet, scratch all the others off your list. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Easily one of my favorite TV shows ever. Up there with Breaking Bad and The Wire
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

A couple weeks ago I started watching Orange is the New Black again after giving up on it during season 1. I had read how good this show was but felt it just wasn't for me. My mistake was forgetting that good shows that will go the distance usually hit their stride toward the end of the first season or even the beginning of the second. I now believe this will go down (no pun intended) in TV history as one of the best; at least top 20.

I'm currently on episode 9 of season 5.

Bosch
    The Expanse
    The Grand Tour
    Britannia
    Jack Ryan
    Justified
    NYPD Blue
    I know a couple of people here who think The Expanse is excellent.

I second Justified.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Black Mirror - each season got better than the last

F is for Family - funny and good story arcs

Stranger Thingest - have no idea where they could go from Season 2 (that was really only a continuation of the same story arch from season 1)

Gotham - in its fourth season and reported to be heading into its last season. The show showed a lot of promise in those first two seasons and has really dragged its feet the last two. I think they've done a great job on developing characters and fleshing out the villains. However it's painfully obvious that two of the actors, the ones who play Batboy and Cat Girl, are just too young to pull off the adult iterations of those characters. The young actress playing Selina Kyle is very good and is already very photogenic but needs a little more seasoning. The guy playing Bruce Wayne has done a fine job portraying that character as a young person, but is just too baby-faced and too slight to be a believable Batman. And because of that I think they've stretched out certain story arcs way beyond any real advancements have only repeated themselves. They should have ended season 2 where it was an advanced the timeline forward a few years and introduce older actors to portray Batman and Catwoman. Instead the show has turned into a real soap opera mincing every possible angle with certain villians when it knows what its audience really wants. I'll probably still watch the fifth season but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

All of the Marvel series, Daredevil, Jennifer Jones, Luke Cage, The Punisher and (less so) Iron Fist. I understand now that Luke Cage and Iron Fist have been cancelled and the jury is still out on Jone and Devil. I can see why Iron Fist was hard for anyone but hardcore fans of the comic to get into with all of its thick contrived mysticism, but Luke Cage was just getting really interesting with what I thought was a great twist at the end of season 2. Hopefully Netflix will change their mind on that, or perhaps with Disney starting their own streaming service, maybe The Mouse has decided to rein in some of its product from Netflix.
    Last edited by 3LockBox; 12-12-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I thought Fleabag was pretty good on Prime.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Bosch
    The Expanse
    The Grand Tour
    Britannia
    Jack Ryan
    Justified
    NYPD Blue
    Bosch is excellent. Many folks here like The Expanse, but I haven't had time to delve into it yet. I'm very interested in Jack Ryan, if only to see how John Krasinski handles the role. I watched NYPD Blue when it was originally on, and it was largely very good. It got a little to melodramatic at times, with stories about individual characters' personal demons, etc. But it's well-directed and well-acted.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'd love to watch the Expanse but haven't gotten around to it. Favorite show at the moment: Star Trek: Discovery.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

A third on the glory that is Justified. The ending of the series is, well, like the entire series. You didn't know what is coming but it was truly excellent. One of the best villains in TV history and definitely one of the best US Marshals in TV as well. Brilliant dialog and great characters. I should start watching them again.

Regarding The Expanse, I have championed that show since it began. It's the first science fiction series whose science wasn't just a hand wave and technobabble. And of course, the story is complex and compelling. Beltalowda!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    A third on the glory that is Justified. The ending of the series is, well, like the entire series. You didn't know what is coming but it was truly excellent. One of the best villains in TV history and definitely one of the best US Marshals in TV as well. Brilliant dialog and great characters. I should start watching them again.
    I believe you are #4 on Justified
    Dave Sr.

Banned
    Has anyone checked out The Bridge? It's a Swedish/Danish production about detectives in a joint investigation that opens with a crime scene on the Öresund Bridge where a woman's body is left severed in half but the body proves to be from two different victims. Dark and intense drama with great characters and a fantastic twisty plot. Best new thing I've seen since Breaking Bad. In about 7 shows and love love love it.

FYI it's on Hulu and it's sub-titled.

There's an excellent English language version called The Tunnel on the England-France border in the Chunnel, its on Amazon Prime
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    A couple weeks ago I started watching Orange is the New Black again after giving up on it during season 1. I had read how good this show was but felt it just wasn't for me. My mistake was forgetting that good shows that will go the distance usually hit their stride toward the end of the first season or even the beginning of the second. I now believe this will go down (no pun intended) in TV history as one of the best; at least top 20.
    B].
    Not sure that I can agree with you on that one. I made it through 3 seasons (I think I may have watched part of season 4), and it lost me. I thought that by far, season one was the best, and then it started going downhill. Maybe season 5 brought it back, but I never went back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Has anyone checked out The Bridge? It's a Swedish/Danish production about detectives in a joint investigation that opens with a crime scene on the Öresund Bridge where a woman's body is left severed in half but the body proves to be from two different victims. Dark and intense drama with great characters and a fantastic twisty plot. Best new thing I've seen since Breaking Bad. In about 7 shows and love love love it.

FYI it's on Hulu and it's sub-titled.
    Watched them all...but it's not a US show. There was a US version but it was CRAP!
    Dave Sr.

Anyone catch season 3 of Preacher? I just discovered it was shown in June of this year and I missed it. Damn it.

There's an excellent English language version called The Tunnel on the England-France border in the Chunnel, its on Amazon Prime
    I've seen all but the most recent season, which is still on my TiVo. Very good show. I considered watching the Scandinavian version, which The Tunnel is based on, but decided against it.

The American version wasn't very good at all. Diane Kruger was the only thing good on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not sure that I can agree with you on that one. I made it through 3 seasons (I think I may have watched part of season 4), and it lost me. I thought that by far, season one was the best, and then it started going downhill. Maybe season 5 brought it back, but I never went back to it.
    Different strokes, I guess. Maybe what you have a problem with is that the show doesn't focus solely on Piper anymore? One thing they started doing that I'm not thrilled with is adding back stories to supporting characters. In fact, that's the one problem I have with the show. I mean, flashbacks are okay but I think they overuse them.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I considered watching the Scandinavian version, which The Tunnel is based on, but decided against it.
    You should give it a chance, it is excellent IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    You should give it a chance, it is excellent IMO.
    The Bridge is the original version and is a definite must.
    Dave Sr.

I am watching Hinterland on Netflix....

Did I say that already, earlier?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."